Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

bloodysabbath posted:

He’s a little puke who never grew out of his insufferable hipster phase, and is one of the originators of “new” games journalism, e.g., “write about a game only as a vehicle for droning on about my politics/traumas/neuroses, etc.”

I swear I remember an article on Action Button (before he became a fuckin Kotakuite and would still actually deliver an amusing piece from time to time) where a “review” of a game essentially turned into a thesis regarding the time he invited a girl back to his apartment, got shot down, and basically ended up playing a Mario game instead of smashing. Straight livejournal bullshit.

Tim Rogers loving sucks poo poo straight from the source.

This thread should be called "Tim Rogers' Neighborhood".
That's like everything he has ever written. I will never watch any of his videos but I did used to read his Action Button "reviews" which were sometimes amusing for how he would spend pages talking about some pair of jeans he used to own and never talk about the game the article was allegedly about.
The only anecdote of his that makes me mad is how he went on a long rant about how "Japanese game companies don't have any level designers" based on how he somehow got hired at Grasshopper Manufacture to do who knows what since he has no useful game development skills and asked some guy "where are the level designers?" and he said "you mean the guys who make the graphics?" or something. Which if he did 2 seconds of research looking at the credits of any game or even at the company he was literally employed at he could have figured out that the job titles are a bit different there and artists are called "designers" and level design is called "planning" hence why that guy thought he was talking about artists. But no just use that one conversation with some guy to come to the conclusion that no company has level designers and go on a big rant about how awful the industry there is. I think it was back in the late 2000s PS3 era when everyone thought it was cool to poo poo on Japanese games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Kale posted:

:lol: I 100% totally remember this era too (like 2010-2015 or so).....

More than just gaming news sites I was also thinking of IIRC fellow obnoxious hipsters like Jon Blow and Phil Fish (who at least made some decent games) making a lot of loud pronouncements in interviews about how Japanese games are dead.
Speaking of indie game development I like how Tim "made" a couple of games where he was just an "ideas guy" who didn't do any programming, art, etc which seems pretty unheard of in indie games development, and did a big solo talk about it at GDC.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Comrade Fakename posted:

Tim Rogers was never making GBS threads on Japanese games - he literally lived in Japan and worked in the games industry there for years. Perhaps people are thinking of Phil Fish, who had a similar personal style and hipster sensibility?

In my post where I said "it was during that era" I was talking specifically about an old text article he did where he went on a dumb rant about how game companies in Japan "don't have any level designers", which if thinking about for 2 seconds or doing 2 seconds of research at the company he literally was working at at the time, he could have just realized that the job titles are just called something else.
Less making GBS threads on Japan and more just long ramblings based on misunderstandings that a small bit of research or thought would show not to be true.