Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Indian sword whips best swords.

Are these intended to kill the opponent and the user?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
s word

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Lol if you aren't blasting your enemies with ki

this is also way better than a "curved" sword, OP

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the penis mightier

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Historically speaking, anyone that used a sword, curved or not, was considered a huge dork and was often talked about behind their back (negatively of course)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

sigher posted:

Are these intended to kill the opponent and the user?

It is notoriously dangerous to learn how to use.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
The best sword is one on a stick.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It would suck to be killed with a sword, seemingly to an equal degree regardless of its level of curvature? Imho anyway I'm not a expert

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mooey Cow posted:

Historically speaking, anyone that used a sword, curved or not, was considered a huge dork and was often talked about behind their back (negatively of course)

Did you see the size of his sword?
Ugh, and it's curved too

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Really if you think about it a sword is just a circumsized spear

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about? Did a horse with running shoes make you like jogging?

Yeah, it did. You got a problem with that? Is that an issue for you?

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

sebmojo posted:

It would suck to be killed with a sword, seemingly to an equal degree regardless of its level of curvature? Imho anyway I'm not a expert

It does suck.

I have been killed 8 times by swords.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the implications on the penis need to be considered

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Did you see the size of it? And it's curved too

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cursed swords are better than non cursed swords

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Me, stuck holding a cursed sword and shield, wondering how I'm gonna get my armor off to poop.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

swords are so fuckin cool

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

sebmojo posted:

hmm idk, you'd want to be hit by the curved sword, not the straight sword

the curved sword will be a cleaner cut, less blunt force, and unlikely to pierce and drag organs through one another
a curved sword fees the user's momentum to continue forward through the strike, mitigating inertia (for both attacker and victim). it's for attacking on the go.

the straight sword is for stabbing and/or killing. theres a reason the romans used otherwise-inferior stabby swords -- the people stabbed by them eventually died, almost always. probably slowly.

all things considered you would 100% want to get hit by a scimitar, not skewered on a rapier

thank you for coming to my ded talk

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

just get a shield and all of a sudden all these sword lame-os crying to their archers

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Have you seen those warriors from hammerfell? They got curved swords. Curved. Swords

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

hmm idk, you'd want to be hit by the curved sword, not the straight sword

the curved sword will be a cleaner cut, less blunt force, and unlikely to pierce and drag organs through one another
a curved sword fees the user's momentum to continue forward through the strike, mitigating inertia (for both attacker and victim). it's for attacking on the go.

the straight sword is for stabbing and/or killing. theres a reason the romans used otherwise-inferior stabby swords -- the people stabbed by them eventually died, almost always. probably slowly.

all things considered you would 100% want to get hit by a scimitar, not skewered on a rapier

thank you for coming to my ded talk

i dunno, i may prefer a tiny stab hole all the way through my arm versus a curvy sword lopping it off, or at least cutting to the bone.

Same with torso really.

I think we all need more research. Let's watch deadliest warrior

dadliest warrior aha

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

a curvy sword for a curvy opponent

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

blight rhino posted:

i dunno, i may prefer a tiny stab hole all the way through my arm versus a curvy sword lopping it off, or at least cutting to the bone.

Same with torso really.

I think we all need more research. Let's watch deadliest warrior

dadliest warrior aha

that tiny stab hole in your arm means your arm has to be amputated

you'll want the curved sword for that part :)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

though falx > all

the only weapon so dangerous that the romans changed their soldiers' kit to defend against it

it would be appropriate to say: birds' beak swords are better than curved swords

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the best sword is hattori hanzo steel, quentin tarantino taught me that

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

fun fact: most peasant rebellions and successful anti-imperial hegemonies ended up winning battles against heavy armored opponents by virtue of weapons that reached AROUND shields

i.e. the falx. the peasant flail. the longbow. the goedendag.

the peasant flail in particular is very easy to make. take a long stick and short stick. string em together like nunchucks. hit people with the short stick, dramatically sped up by the large stick.
this short stick goes arrrrround someone's shield to smack them in the back of the head.

against an armored opponent ->> curve forward
against an unarmored slave and/or 18th century US marine 4000 miles from home ->> curve backward
against a rebellion or otherwise finite army that cannot resupply ->> straight swords / death by sepsis and infection

but who the gently caress wouldn't want to use a polearm instead
theres a reason pikes took over
swords are loving stupid

PICTURED: SWORDS VS SENSIBLE PEOPLE USING POLEARMS

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Colonel Cancer posted:

Did you see the size of it? And it's curved too

*me rubbing my eyes*
I JUST said taht

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I see they’re using the “leaves-on” pikes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

GolfHole posted:

fun fact: most peasant rebellions and successful anti-imperial hegemonies ended up winning battles against heavy armored opponents by virtue of weapons that reached AROUND shields

i.e. the falx. the peasant flail. the longbow. the goedendag.

the peasant flail in particular is very easy to make. take a long stick and short stick. string em together like nunchucks. hit people with the short stick, dramatically sped up by the large stick.
this short stick goes arrrrround someone's shield to smack them in the back of the head.

against an armored opponent ->> curve forward
against an unarmored slave and/or 18th century US marine 4000 miles from home ->> curve backward
against a rebellion or otherwise finite army that cannot resupply ->> straight swords / death by sepsis and infection

but who the gently caress wouldn't want to use a polearm instead
theres a reason pikes took over
swords are loving stupid

These guys in their pajamas were hosed before they started because they brought swords to a branch fight

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I see they’re using the “leaves-on” pikes

its called a "wolf's brush" and its exactly what it looks like

it aint stupid if it works

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The best sword is that one from highlander that comes in a suitcase and has to be assembled

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Curvy sword is a nicer way to say fat sword

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

what i dont understand is why the khopesh fell out of use

it seems to be the best of both words: sword and axe

i guess the curve is way too pronounced and it breaks easy or something
maybe its really hard to make
idk

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

GolfHole posted:

agreed that curved sword users are as good as dog food against the guys with trees and that weapon King Trident from the Little Mermaid uses

but

a single rogue mercenary armed with a dragon slayer sword? he would have knocked away the whole formation in one blow, and then done a mid-air summersault wth the sword and smashed it into the ground causing the earth to erupt and launch away any who didn't die in the initial attack,

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I'm a big fan of the Fiore Axe Sword, which looks like a jrpg sword only it was real.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 24, 2021

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Get a gunblade so you can shoot someone while you stab them

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

GolfHole posted:

its called a "wolf's brush" and its exactly what it looks like

it aint stupid if it works

Need one of those bad boys for home defense

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The ones of those they made have a sword bit that snaps off if you hit something with it, and you have to aim the horribly unbalanced gun by feel because there's a sword in the way of the sights.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
What if you had a sword but it was two seords that would be badass i bet no one would gently caress with the double sword guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Nooner posted:

What if you had a sword but it was two seords that would be badass i bet no one would gently caress with the double sword guy

now that's cool. take note, sword newbs: this guy knows what's up.

goatface posted:

The ones of those they made have a sword bit that snaps off if you hit something with it, and you have to aim the horribly unbalanced gun by feel because there's a sword in the way of the sights.

I pull the trigger right as I slice you with the blade, critically injuring you and forcing your curvy sword to the ground. while you bleed out, I use the recoil from my shot as momentum to deliver a lethal blow to one of your allies.

Padical fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 24, 2021