Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
It's situational. You want a straight sword if fighting one-on-one, armoured opponents, or in a confined space. You want a curved sword if you want to look like a loving clown and die immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My curved swords bring crusaders to the yard

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the best sword is a mace

look at the watermark. even THEY know its the best sword

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

jarofpiss posted:

swords are so fuckin cool

Swords aren't cool! They'll fuckin slice a baby in half!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This all depends on whether a macuahuitl counts as a sword

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not fighting that god damned chicken but it's important to know what the orangutan is going to be wielding in a year

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

GolfHole posted:

fun fact: most peasant rebellions and successful anti-imperial hegemonies ended up winning battles against heavy armored opponents by virtue of weapons that reached AROUND shields

i.e. the falx. the peasant flail. the longbow. the goedendag.

the peasant flail in particular is very easy to make. take a long stick and short stick. string em together like nunchucks. hit people with the short stick, dramatically sped up by the large stick.
this short stick goes arrrrround someone's shield to smack them in the back of the head.

against an armored opponent ->> curve forward
against an unarmored slave and/or 18th century US marine 4000 miles from home ->> curve backward
against a rebellion or otherwise finite army that cannot resupply ->> straight swords / death by sepsis and infection

but who the gently caress wouldn't want to use a polearm instead
theres a reason pikes took over
swords are loving stupid

PICTURED: SWORDS VS SENSIBLE PEOPLE USING POLEARMS

Just chop the tree branch in half with your katana idiots.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

best 3d fighting game ever made

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

reading that they used to cover the wolf’s brush spears in poison. Nice

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Swords are really good for cutting down unarmed peasants. Polearms are better for fighting in war, but the kingdom ain’t usually at war, is it?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

depends if your riding a horse or not

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
That's like bringing a sword to a food fight

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Swords are really good for cutting down unarmed peasants. Polearms are better for fighting in war, but the kingdom ain’t usually at war, is it?

Class war is eternal.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like curved swords would be stronger, all else being equal. But then I'm not a sword weeb

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
IAWTOP

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/03N27COiLJU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mozi posted:

IAWTOP

Whilst this sword is indeed technically curved, it belongs to a different subset of "wiggly swords".

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst this sword is indeed technically curved, it belongs to a different subset of "wiggly swords".

It is the duck penis of swords.

Also how about a board or baseball/cricket bat with one or more large, possibly rusty nails through it? I think that's better than a not-curved sword too.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

nice falx idiot

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

BrigadierSensible posted:

i would argue it's hypercurved

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
While I could be misremembering something I read a decade ago, I want to say that around the Napoleonic wars, the English (or someone who was in a coliltion with them at the time?) had assigned a whole cadre of officers/doctors to figure out why the French cavalry seemed more deadly than their own. So, a near-official commission, but hush-hush unofficial for morale you know) gathered a whole bunch of first-hand reports of enemy cavalry attacks and also engagements by their own mounted troops. The final report noted that while their own force's cavalry (mainly armed with curved swords and trained to cut and slash with them) did indeed cause a great deal of bloody and grevious-looking wounds, the French cavalry (mostly using straight, thrusting blades) caused more casualties and inflicted higher proportion of fatal wounds.

I wonder if the "curved is better for horseback" thing is a traditional/training thing or a workaround-design for dealing with less reliable metallurgy? Maybe a comboination of the two?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mozi posted:

i would argue it's hypercurved

Curved in four dimensions so it cuts things that haven't come to pass

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

polearm supremacy

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Narrowing my eyes looking at the battlefield, yelling at my heavily bandaged caddy to get me my french estoc longsword as he drops them all again

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Indian sword whips best swords.

true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAsCuDFSUI

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Xaintrailles posted:

It's situational. You want a straight sword if fighting one-on-one, armoured opponents, or in a confined space. You want a curved sword if you want to look like a loving clown and die immediately.

:hmmyes:

signalnoise posted:

This all depends on whether a macuahuitl counts as a sword

swords are made of metal, sorry azteca, maybe discover iron metallurgy or something if you wanna join the conversation LMAO

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
What noise is this? Give me my long sword, ho!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Roumba posted:

While I could be misremembering something I read a decade ago, I want to say that around the Napoleonic wars, the English (or someone who was in a coliltion with them at the time?) had assigned a whole cadre of officers/doctors to figure out why the French cavalry seemed more deadly than their own. So, a near-official commission, but hush-hush unofficial for morale you know) gathered a whole bunch of first-hand reports of enemy cavalry attacks and also engagements by their own mounted troops. The final report noted that while their own force's cavalry (mainly armed with curved swords and trained to cut and slash with them) did indeed cause a great deal of bloody and grevious-looking wounds, the French cavalry (mostly using straight, thrusting blades) caused more casualties and inflicted higher proportion of fatal wounds.

I wonder if the "curved is better for horseback" thing is a traditional/training thing or a workaround-design for dealing with less reliable metallurgy? Maybe a comboination of the two?

english cavalry: SABER AND GLORY!!!!
french (mixed) cavalry: wtf, they are using sabers? jesus christ. alright, well, get out the old curiassess and lances from the 100 years war.

turns out min/maxing is good in war

naem
May 29, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

swords are made of metal, sorry azteca, maybe discover iron metallurgy or something if you wanna join the conversation LMAO

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Roumba posted:

curved swords require significantly better metallurgy than hard point swords (which break easy)
curved are definitely stronger

if you wanted a sword for life you'd buy a curved one.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

luv to have one of the most dangerous melee weapons ever known to exist bounce harmlessly off my enemies armour because i can't stab with it, and then shatter because it is made of extremely brittle glass

obsidian is way sharper than steel, but it makes a primitive weapon fit only for chopping up primitive opponents (and slaves :classiclol:)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

that thing is for taking live captives

its not a sword

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also it can't be made curved so it's automatically disqualified from this thread, wrap it up aztecailures

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Swords not words!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
if the penis mightier than the sword, is the curved penis even mightier than that?

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Mozi posted:

if the penis mightier than the sword, is the curved penis even mightier than that?

I hear that's the best for hitting the g spot, so yes

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Why hasn’t anyone posted that video of the guy in jorts dispatching a scarecrow in his back yard?

GBS is slipping.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

GolfHole posted:

curved swords require significantly better metallurgy than hard point swords (which break easy)
curved are definitely stronger

if you wanted a sword for life you'd buy a curved one.

Oh, word? Neat to know.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 26, 2021

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

My father gave me a katana for by birthday this year. Real nice one, gorgeous looking sucker. I had once told him I thought that they were pretty cool so he remembered that. Very touching gift because of that.

I told him that when I was 16.

I turned 46 in April.

That tragic tale is my back story; the one that has lead me to this life. The life of the sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He only now thinks you are ready.