Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Wattsamatta posted:

My father gave me a katana for by birthday this year. Real nice one, gorgeous looking sucker. I had once told him I thought that they were pretty cool so he remembered that. Very touching gift because of that.

I told him that when I was 16.

I turned 46 in April.

That tragic tale is my back story; the one that has lead me to this life. The life of the sword.

Explain this to him, ask for the receipt so you can return it, then turn up to the next family gathering wearing a longsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Oh, your dad gave you a straight sword? That’s nice I guess. My dad gave me a shotel

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Wattsamatta posted:

My father gave me a katana for by birthday this year. Real nice one, gorgeous looking sucker. I had once told him I thought that they were pretty cool so he remembered that. Very touching gift because of that.

I told him that when I was 16.

I turned 46 in April.

That tragic tale is my back story; the one that has lead me to this life. The life of the sword.

sounds like your dad expects that you might have to avenge him in the near future. has he angered the daimyo?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Damascus steel is a meme

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Oh, your dad gave you a straight sword? That’s nice I guess. My dad gave me a shotel

had to google this

:popeye:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

This sword is all curve :heysexy:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
More like shitel

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
We at the shotel shotel holiday inn

SearchInward
Oct 22, 2021
I've never wieldeda sword, but I assume a curved blade would allow for someone with subpar form to be more effective than a straight blade.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

curved. swords.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

kecske posted:

the penis mightier

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Stop making fun of my shotel

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Look at y'all bunch of chumps fighting with just one blade

And now that the world is on fire and the barbarians are at the gate you have the audacity to come to me for help!?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

DandyLion posted:

Look at y'all bunch of chumps fighting with just one blade

And now that the world is on fire and the barbarians are at the gate you have the audacity to come to me for help!?

Bet you couldn't shoot that sword at a motherfucker, I'm laughing @ u from 35 feet away with a masterwork musket in my hands

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Colonel Cancer posted:

Bet you couldn't shoot that sword at a motherfucker, I'm laughing @ u from 35 feet away with a masterwork musket in my hands

A man of refined tastes I see.....

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

runnypoops posted:

We at the shotel shotel holiday inn

One thing leadin to another let the swordfight begin

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Legend of the Shotel 6

We'll leave the fight on for ya.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Is a bat'leth a curved sword?

I would use that because Michael Dorn uses it and he is a true warrior

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
One of the big names in Historical European Martial Arts weapon making used to make a sparring safe (as safe as a bat'leth can be) bat'leth but I think he no longer does so. Must be a pain in the rear end to make.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
conan and crom never mention curved bullshit in the riddle of steel, therefor curved swords must be ruled inferior no matter how cool they look

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Captain Beans posted:

conan and crom never mention curved bullshit in the riddle of steel, therefor curved swords must be ruled inferior no matter how cool they look

Finally someone is making some drat sense

naem
May 29, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

literally using a katana

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

had to google this

:popeye:

u seriously dont dark souls dude???

naem
May 29, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The Walrus posted:

u seriously dont dark souls dude???

sorry, i prefer to study the blade irl than in entertainment made for children

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
swords suck rear end and are only good for idiot noblemen to have play fights with a bunch of special rules

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
unless its one of those insane landsknecht swords

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Nosfereefer posted:

unless its one of those insane landsknecht swords

I think the only thing insane about the Katzbalger is the origin of the name....

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Nosfereefer posted:

swords suck rear end and are only good for idiot noblemen to have play fights with a bunch of special rules

uhhhhhhhhhhh Gladius???????? Dumbass...

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

a gladius is a friggin dagger, and i will fite u (w/ a halberd or something)

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

the sword is the f-35 of melee weapons

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I shall strike u with my scimitar dealing 6-9 damage

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nosfereefer posted:

the sword is the f-35 of melee weapons

disparaging the humble sword and then selecting a halberd, of all weapons..............

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
A man came up to me and pulled out his sword to have a sword fight duel with me. I sighed as I drew my M-29 Davy Crockett Tactical Nuclear Weapon System and fired an M388 Nuclear Projectile armed with a W54 Nuclear Warhead at him. He died instantly from the impact and also the nuclear blast.

Never bring a sword to a M-29 Dave Crockett Weapons System fight :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nosfereefer posted:

a gladius is a friggin dagger, and i will fite u (w/ a halberd or something)

Sounds good. Now let’s go fight in this hallway over here.