Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

depends if your riding a horse or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

sebmojo posted:

It would suck to be killed with a sword, seemingly to an equal degree regardless of its level of curvature? Imho anyway I'm not a expert

hmm idk, you'd want to be hit by the curved sword, not the straight sword

the curved sword will be a cleaner cut, less blunt force, and unlikely to pierce and drag organs through one another
a curved sword fees the user's momentum to continue forward through the strike, mitigating inertia (for both attacker and victim). it's for attacking on the go.

the straight sword is for stabbing and/or killing. theres a reason the romans used otherwise-inferior stabby swords -- the people stabbed by them eventually died, almost always. probably slowly.

all things considered you would 100% want to get hit by a scimitar, not skewered on a rapier

thank you for coming to my ded talk

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

just get a shield and all of a sudden all these sword lame-os crying to their archers

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

blight rhino posted:

i dunno, i may prefer a tiny stab hole all the way through my arm versus a curvy sword lopping it off, or at least cutting to the bone.

Same with torso really.

I think we all need more research. Let's watch deadliest warrior

dadliest warrior aha

that tiny stab hole in your arm means your arm has to be amputated

you'll want the curved sword for that part :)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

though falx > all

the only weapon so dangerous that the romans changed their soldiers' kit to defend against it

it would be appropriate to say: birds' beak swords are better than curved swords

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

fun fact: most peasant rebellions and successful anti-imperial hegemonies ended up winning battles against heavy armored opponents by virtue of weapons that reached AROUND shields

i.e. the falx. the peasant flail. the longbow. the goedendag.

the peasant flail in particular is very easy to make. take a long stick and short stick. string em together like nunchucks. hit people with the short stick, dramatically sped up by the large stick.
this short stick goes arrrrround someone's shield to smack them in the back of the head.

against an armored opponent ->> curve forward
against an unarmored slave and/or 18th century US marine 4000 miles from home ->> curve backward
against a rebellion or otherwise finite army that cannot resupply ->> straight swords / death by sepsis and infection

but who the gently caress wouldn't want to use a polearm instead
theres a reason pikes took over
swords are loving stupid

PICTURED: SWORDS VS SENSIBLE PEOPLE USING POLEARMS

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I see they’re using the “leaves-on” pikes

its called a "wolf's brush" and its exactly what it looks like

it aint stupid if it works

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

what i dont understand is why the khopesh fell out of use

it seems to be the best of both words: sword and axe

i guess the curve is way too pronounced and it breaks easy or something
maybe its really hard to make
idk

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Roumba posted:

While I could be misremembering something I read a decade ago, I want to say that around the Napoleonic wars, the English (or someone who was in a coliltion with them at the time?) had assigned a whole cadre of officers/doctors to figure out why the French cavalry seemed more deadly than their own. So, a near-official commission, but hush-hush unofficial for morale you know) gathered a whole bunch of first-hand reports of enemy cavalry attacks and also engagements by their own mounted troops. The final report noted that while their own force's cavalry (mainly armed with curved swords and trained to cut and slash with them) did indeed cause a great deal of bloody and grevious-looking wounds, the French cavalry (mostly using straight, thrusting blades) caused more casualties and inflicted higher proportion of fatal wounds.

I wonder if the "curved is better for horseback" thing is a traditional/training thing or a workaround-design for dealing with less reliable metallurgy? Maybe a comboination of the two?

english cavalry: SABER AND GLORY!!!!
french (mixed) cavalry: wtf, they are using sabers? jesus christ. alright, well, get out the old curiassess and lances from the 100 years war.

turns out min/maxing is good in war

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Roumba posted:

While I could be misremembering something I read a decade ago, I want to say that around the Napoleonic wars, the English (or someone who was in a coliltion with them at the time?) had assigned a whole cadre of officers/doctors to figure out why the French cavalry seemed more deadly than their own. So, a near-official commission, but hush-hush unofficial for morale you know) gathered a whole bunch of first-hand reports of enemy cavalry attacks and also engagements by their own mounted troops. The final report noted that while their own force's cavalry (mainly armed with curved swords and trained to cut and slash with them) did indeed cause a great deal of bloody and grevious-looking wounds, the French cavalry (mostly using straight, thrusting blades) caused more casualties and inflicted higher proportion of fatal wounds.

I wonder if the "curved is better for horseback" thing is a traditional/training thing or a workaround-design for dealing with less reliable metallurgy? Maybe a comboination of the two?

curved swords require significantly better metallurgy than hard point swords (which break easy)
curved are definitely stronger

if you wanted a sword for life you'd buy a curved one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

that thing is for taking live captives

its not a sword