Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Is 5e some stupid made up bullshit like 6 sigma

both are a dense set of rules a that are ignored when it is convenient but 5e only costs 50 bucks to get into as opposed to thousands for 6σ

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Weka posted:

Is that really a better job?

It's either hotels or fast food and I choose hotels

I wish I had some startup capital so I could strap cameras to my bicycle and do travel streams

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Something like 10 engineers left my company over the last 6 months. Management decided to buy more equipment with the spare budget

Now I got like twice the work to do, but have new shiny toys to do it with.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Another thingy about all this is that the amount of people who are furious that they don't get their treats on time is less of a financial burden on the company than sufficiently staffing their locations.

Basically McDonalds figured out that if they just have a few people who are dedicated enough to McDonalds to run the entire store at all hours, they'll be fine and profitable anyway

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

If you are working for an agency, why aren't you currently writing your resignation letter?

I told them I want a 50% raise yesterday or im out so balls in their court now

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Dobbs_Head posted:

Something like 10 engineers left my company over the last 6 months. Management decided to buy more equipment with the spare budget

Now I got like twice the work to do, but have new shiny toys to do it with.

Like... 5 of the 7 backend people we had quit over the course of a few months, every single one over pay.

Anyway, I just got invited into the office for a pizza party tomorrow!

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I too recently quit over pay, even though the pay is ridiculously much, because the company wanted to pay me 15% less for *officially* working remotely than it has been paying me for the last year and a half for exactly the same working remotely. Also the work has been making me angry basically all day every day for the last 6 months, which helped with the decision.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

roomforthetuna posted:

I too recently quit over pay, even though the pay is ridiculously much, because the company wanted to pay me 15% less for *officially* working remotely than it has been paying me for the last year and a half for exactly the same working remotely. Also the work has been making me angry basically all day every day for the last 6 months, which helped with the decision.

The different pay based on location / cost of living is such bullshit. It makes it completely transparent that your pay has nothing to do with the value of your labor and everything to do with how little the company can get away with paying you.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Another thingy about all this is that the amount of people who are furious that they don't get their treats on time is less of a financial burden on the company than sufficiently staffing their locations.

Basically McDonalds figured out that if they just have a few people who are dedicated enough to McDonalds to run the entire store at all hours, they'll be fine and profitable anyway

what are the treats complainers gonna do, learn to make fries at home? they're gonna suck it up and they're gonna like it

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Setec_Astronomy posted:

The different pay based on location / cost of living is such bullshit. It makes it completely transparent that your pay has nothing to do with the value of your labor and everything to do with how little the company can get away with paying you.
I also enjoy "but if we pay for the quality of the work then we'd have to pay the people in India the same as you, too, you don't want to be paid on their scale do you?"

No, but I'd be happy for them to be paid on my scale if their work is as good as mine!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

vyelkin posted:

it's a little bit like a spontaneous general strike which rules

Do not say this in the Marxism thread they get very upset.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

the bitcoin of weed posted:

what are the treats complainers gonna do, learn to make fries at home? they're gonna suck it up and they're gonna like it

They're going to be the subject of some good tiktok videos first though

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

roomforthetuna posted:

I also enjoy "but if we pay for the quality of the work then we'd have to pay the people in India the same as you, too, you don't want to be paid on their scale do you?"

No, but I'd be happy for them to be paid on my scale if their work is as good as mine!

How would you feel about ten grand a year (global per capita gdp) if they got the same?

Weka has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Nov 2, 2021

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
lol I got a 60% raise for telling my old employer to gently caress off and went across the street

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Bastard Tetris posted:

lol I got a 60% raise for telling my old employer to gently caress off and went across the street

drat sounds like the road crossing industry is a hot job market right now

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

drat sounds like the road crossing industry is a hot job market right now

and libs want fewer roads, SAD

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Weka posted:

How would you feel about ten grand a year (global per capita gdp) if they got the same?
That's if you just globally flatten all the pay regardless of skills/danger/stress/effort/hours, which would have other knock-on consequences for pricing such that I have almost no idea how I would feel about it because it would change everything. Honestly it would probably be pretty good once all the poo poo settled, but the transition would be horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I feel like I bookmarked some article talking about what a bad term "Great Resignation" is, but I can't find it in my history or bookmarks