Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Man things get wild on a 2v2 map. Shame about the opposing team composition, I'd love to see a more evenly matched game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Special: Finding a Way to Lose Cleanup by getting Routed as Sturm and Kanbei

One of a few special side challenges I plan to do: finding creative ways to actually lose the tutorial by rout while playing as overpowered COs like Sturm and Kanbei

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

OK, that was a pretty silly challenge. I liked it

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Here's a considerably harder challenge which a few people had requested:

Special: Deathless, 300 Points as Max on Grit's Mission

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Max arrives at the battlefield.

"Uhh... Adder, I think we grabbed each other's armies."

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I have another challenge for you!

S-Rank Risky Vale or Egg Island (War Room maps) without losing a single unit! Choose any CO you like!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

I have another challenge for you!

S-Rank Risky Vale or Egg Island (War Room maps) without losing a single unit! Choose any CO you like!

Done. 12 days on Egg Island, no deaths, 300 points as Sturm. (Could have been any CO but I enjoy Sturm's theme!)

Sent a lander straight to his HQ, waited for him to drop off some power fodder units on my home island where I had a sub and some Neotanks waiting.

HQ captures are one big reason I don't like most of the war room to be honest. On nearly every War Room map, the only strategy that's even worth considering is to go for the HQ at some point, but the AI never defends this at all. So I feel like I have to either turn my brain off and just ignore the enemy HQ entirely, or I win whenever I decide it's a fair time to go for it.

FoolyCharged posted:

Max arrives at the battlefield.

"Uhh... Adder, I think we grabbed each other's armies."

It's like how Grit conveniently brings an army that's horrible for him and great for Max to the last mission of AW1! And then all those Blue Moon troops unquestioning serve under a CO of their hated rival nation even if he orders them on clear suicide missions!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Melth posted:

Here's a considerably harder challenge which a few people had requested:

Special: Deathless, 300 Points as Max on Grit's Mission

I think the greater challenge was buying Adder in Hachi's shop.
I dunno if you succeeded or failed that one though. Because you bought Adder.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Omobono posted:

I think the greater challenge was buying Adder in Hachi's shop.
I dunno if you succeeded or failed that one though. Because you bought Adder.

Task successfully failed!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Melth posted:

Done. 12 days on Egg Island, no deaths, 300 points as Sturm. (Could have been any CO but I enjoy Sturm's theme!)

Sent a lander straight to his HQ, waited for him to drop off some power fodder units on my home island where I had a sub and some Neotanks waiting.

HQ captures are one big reason I don't like most of the war room to be honest. On nearly every War Room map, the only strategy that's even worth considering is to go for the HQ at some point, but the AI never defends this at all. So I feel like I have to either turn my brain off and just ignore the enemy HQ entirely, or I win whenever I decide it's a fair time to go for it.

Hrmm... Yeah, I forgot about the cheese strat, since I always did it regularly.

Try Risky Vale, then—that map doesn't have HQs for you to capture.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 21, 2022

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The next AWBW video is going to be my strategic magnum opus for this game's multiplayer!

I just finished recording the audio and I'm quite excited about it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to it!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Advance Wars By Web: Max DESTROYS Eagle With FACTS and LOGIC and HELICOPTERS

I kept almost finishing this video and then thinking of one new joke or other idea to add in or one more section to change the audio balance in, and reprocessing or re-uploading until 4 in the morning yesterday. But it's finished, and I think it's a eye-opener about a new dimension of intel-gathering and analysis in fog of war.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
That was some bloody impressive intel gathering. I'm not sure many people would go to those kinds of lengths to gain an advantage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You, sir, are a goddamn madman. Godspeed.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

First, look at how the universe is, then using that information predict everything that could possibly have happened to get to that state. I am amazed at how well that worked.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I just enjoy that this is a world where the instant someone materializes out of a literal fog of war you can see exactly how much gas is in their tank (and/or food in belly) plus how many rounds they have in magazine.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lynneth posted:

That was some bloody impressive intel gathering. I'm not sure many people would go to those kinds of lengths to gain an advantage.

It's fascinating and amazing. I'd also probably prefer to play a game with enemy fuel information hidden in FoW maps (a toggle to disable that information would be great). Alternately, a time limit or playing in real time.

The thing is that once your opponent starts using information like this, then in order to be competitive, you also have to use the same techniques, and holy poo poo is that way, way more work than most people want to invest in a game.

But despite my pessimism, I don't want to take anything away from Melth's play there. That was a clinic in gathering intel, restricting the opponent's intel, and winning because he knew everything and his opponent did not. The vision shenanigans at the end were absolutely masterful as well, and it the commentary on how he was setting up trap after trap after trap because of all that intel he had brought it all together.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

LeschNyhan posted:

I just enjoy that this is a world where the instant someone materializes out of a literal fog of war you can see exactly how much gas is in their tank (and/or food in belly) plus how many rounds they have in magazine.

I bet they just tell us when we ask since everyone knows fuel is totally useless information in this game!

Qrr posted:

First, look at how the universe is, then using that information predict everything that could possibly have happened to get to that state. I am amazed at how well that worked.

A rare case where the truism that it's easy but useless to predict the past is very wrong!

Dirk the Average posted:

It's fascinating and amazing. I'd also probably prefer to play a game with enemy fuel information hidden in FoW maps (a toggle to disable that information would be great). Alternately, a time limit or playing in real time.

The thing is that once your opponent starts using information like this, then in order to be competitive, you also have to use the same techniques, and holy poo poo is that way, way more work than most people want to invest in a game.

But despite my pessimism, I don't want to take anything away from Melth's play there. That was a clinic in gathering intel, restricting the opponent's intel, and winning because he knew everything and his opponent did not. The vision shenanigans at the end were absolutely masterful as well, and it the commentary on how he was setting up trap after trap after trap because of all that intel he had brought it all together.

My fondness for doing things like this is definitely one reason why I don't enjoy real time games as much. On the other hand, the need to plan for every possible move 10 turns in advance to be competitive is one reason I have little interest in playing non-fog games!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

This isn't the first time I remember seeing looking at the fuel in fog, but I can't remember where else I've seen it. Maybe it was the minimal casualties lp? And it sure as hell wasn't the art project you made out of it here. That was a ridiculously impressive reverse engineering of an entire match.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FoolyCharged posted:

This isn't the first time I remember seeing looking at the fuel in fog, but I can't remember where else I've seen it. Maybe it was the minimal casualties lp? And it sure as hell wasn't the art project you made out of it here. That was a ridiculously impressive reverse engineering of an entire match.

I think I mentioned looking at fuel in fog myself in the co-commentary with AdvanceWarrior and blew his mind when I explained how to use it to make Sonja's HP hiding irrelevant. I also mentioned it as a minor detail in my game against Axus, where I explained how fuel told me how many anti-airs she had. I've done some of this in previous matches, but it was never as important to the outcome (Or in one case it was really important, but the match was over in 9 turns or something as a result so there was no point making a video).

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I just found out about a bug in AWBW.

If you are playing in fog and your unit moves and attacks and dies in the attack, AWBW (and the replay tool on the AWBW site) will display vision as if your unit got to see the area it moved to.
The AWBW wiki also says that that is the case and cites it as a difference from the original games (Where you did not get any vision if you just walked up and died immediately in an attack).

But it's a lie! AWBW is giving you false information in that vision area, showing squares as empty even if enemy units are standing in them and showing properties as neutral even if the enemy has captured them. So it's actually just like the original games with you not truly getting any vision when you do a suicide attack, but the website misleadingly makes it look like you do. I just finished testing that.

Incidentally, this means that on turn 12 in the game from my recent video, when my 4 HP infantry did a suicide attack and 'showed' me that the com tower was still neutral, that was only coincidentally true. If Szarekh had actually been capturing it, the website would still have told me the com tower was empty, possibly leading to a disastrous turn if I planned walls around him not having a com tower. Or if I had tried to drive another unit onto the 'empty' com tower, only to get ambushed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Melth posted:

My fondness for doing things like this is definitely one reason why I don't enjoy real time games as much. On the other hand, the need to plan for every possible move 10 turns in advance to be competitive is one reason I have little interest in playing non-fog games!

Like I said, it's absolutely fascinating to watch, and I love seeing the breakdown of how you figured everything out. Just absolutely amazing play and intel gathering. It's something that I could never bring myself to do, but is wonderful to see someone else do.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

My mouth dropped open at the plot twist. My God.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

You can just call me Melth here, it's fine

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 20: Nature Walk

Happy new year!

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy New Year.

I finally caught up. Did you say that you weren't planning on doing War Room missions for the LP, or am I misremembering?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

General Revil posted:

Happy New Year.

I finally caught up. Did you say that you weren't planning on doing War Room missions for the LP, or am I misremembering?

He has said that, yes. IIRC, they often reward only one, fixed solution and/or were trivialized by AI shenanigans

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fionordequester posted:

He has said that, yes. IIRC, they often reward only one, fixed solution and/or were trivialized by AI shenanigans

Thanks. I'll play the war room maps myself in an effort to get more points and getting every menu option to gold.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

General Revil posted:

Thanks. I'll play the war room maps myself in an effort to get more points and getting every menu option to gold.

I remember doing that! A fun feature, being able to transform the menu options one by one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I've never actually cleared the entire war room in any advance wars. There's just so many maps I always wind up moving on to something else before I finish.

Which is awesome. It's a ridiculous amount of content for a side mode.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FoolyCharged posted:

I've never actually cleared the entire war room in any advance wars. There's just so many maps I always wind up moving on to something else before I finish.

Which is awesome. It's a ridiculous amount of content for a side mode.

I agree, I really appreciated how much extra content these games had.

Especially AWDS. That game was too easy and had a ton of broken mechanics, but they absolutely slammed it out of the park when it came to providing lots of high quality side content.

Here's my 20th AWBW game:

Advance Wars By Web: An Unexpected Challenger

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 21: T-Minus 15

This is the first of a few missions where I'm not even sure it's possible to get 0 casualties and 300 points on hard mode. This new challenge idea might or might not end up working out, we'll see.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 22: Two-Week Test

Here's another mission where I wasn't sure it'd be possible to get 0 casualties (let alone with 300 points). Surviving against Lash's massive onslaught of powerful melee ground troops forever isn't too difficult, but her spam of helicopters, occasional bombers, fast-moving rockets, and the terrifying battleship are another story and each threaten to break your walls in different ways.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Gotta love the classic AW wall of the enemies own units that the ai refuses to either attack with or move out of the way.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 23: Reclamation

This mission is easier by far. But then again, Colin is as green as can be! Are we really sure he can handle a fight where he has more bases than Lash after wiping the floor with her on a mission where she outnumbered him 20:1?

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Colin certainly was green.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

:homebrew:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
What's the purpose behind not capturing a city when you have a troop sitting on it doing nothing else?

e: also, how did this 1hp guy survive?

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Map damage can't kill. Lasers do 50% damage, buy if it would kill it leaves the unit at 1% hp such that literally anything will kill it. Cannons work the same way