Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It'll just get dropped and instantly forgotten, like the fact that the Doctor is half-human (on his mother's side).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

They're all the same person so maybe they'd be the Timeless Childs :allears:

The Timelesses Child

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Rochallor posted:

It'll just get dropped and instantly forgotten, like the fact that the Doctor is half-human (on his mother's side).

Did that ever get brought up by big finish? Feel like it is something I would remember....

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Confusedslight posted:

Did that ever get brought up by big finish? Feel like it is something I would remember....

It did weirdly get brought up by Moffat in Hell Bent! (In a troll-y way, not a serious one.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Confusedslight posted:

No, but BF is run by fan conservatives these days.

It turns up a fair bit in the EDAs tho.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Maybe we'll be surprised

Maybe it'll be good

And then get retroactively ruined by a later episode

He's gonna run out of later episodes in which to ruin things pretty fast.

Maybe he cribbed a bunch of good ideas off of other authors, and we can nickname him Cribnall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Confusedslight posted:

There's a 6th Doctor audio where to prevent anybody accessing the Eye of Harmony, he reprograms the TARDIS to Evelyn's eye instead since nobody will think that a human eye could open it. At the end of the story he muses to himself that he mustn't forget to change that back :allears:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I thought I read somewhere that RTD thought the Timeless Child was a brilliant idea, though that may just have been him being diplomatic towards the guy he originally hired to run Torchwood.

No previous showrunner is going to publicly poo poo on an idea from the current one, especially given the whole group is so tight, so we'll never know what they really think about it. I can certainly see future showrunner seeing the possibility of mining previously unheard of incarnations of the Doctor as liberating, so I'm not expecting the concept to be completely forgotten the way half-human was.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Crosspeice posted:

Imagine if there's no mention of the Timeless Child at all, driving fans crazy for decades like the Valeyard.

I would, by far, prefer this.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'm looking forward to hearing Jodie say FLOOKS in various tones. Can't say how quickly that will get old but it's something. No expectations beyond that.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
"I'm half-Timeless, on my mother's side."

I wonder if the phrase "flux capacitor" will come up over the course of the new series.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Reverse the polarity of the neutron flux

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

for the first time in 35 years, the whole of the season will follow one story

Jesus H Christ if only Bob Holmes and Phillip Hinchcliffe had come back for S24

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm going to watch this but I don't have great expectations. Though only two companions will help with the character focus. I will miss Graham though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Was at the cinema and saw an ad for flux - two ads in fact, as it was split in half. Although Jodie telling the audience we needed to listen very carefully, the BBC advert ending abruptly and then it going into an advert that started with "We've got a chance to save the world" which turned to be about lentils... not quite the tension they were aiming for.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"We've got a chance to save the world" which turned to be about lentils...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmvVEvM3gbw

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The recon of the Evil of the Daleks is airing on BBC America at 8AM Eastern tomorrow, so set your DVRs.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
They need someone to helm Who, who has the guts to make it a little more serious and completely take out the camp because it is massively derogatory to the show. Chibnall could have made Jodies run amazing, but it really did fall flat. The Timeless Child ret con was just an awful thing to do to Dr Who as a whole. I am still amazed this got the greeen light.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

completely take out the camp because it is massively derogatory to the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyD5ILDvYho

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Edward Mass posted:

The recon of the Evil of the Daleks is airing on BBC America at 8AM Eastern tomorrow, so set your DVRs.

It's up on the AMC+ app now.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

They need someone to helm Who, who has the guts to make it a little more serious and completely take out the camp because it is massively derogatory to the show. Chibnall could have made Jodies run amazing, but it really did fall flat. The Timeless Child ret con was just an awful thing to do to Dr Who as a whole. I am still amazed this got the greeen light.

It got the green light because the guy who came up with the idea and the guy who's running the show are both the same person. The BBC doesn't care about The Lore of Doctor Who, all they care about is if the show gets big ratings and makes lots of money from merch and international distribution.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also saw the Flux ad at the cinema, and I just…..felt nothing. Except for when I laughed when she said “Sontarans”.

I’m pretty sure I’m not going to watch it. Chibnall is just the worst. Although if nobody else in the thread likes him either and everyone here is just hatewatching, like how the Moffat seasons should have been, then that could be fun.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Escobarbarian posted:

I also saw the Flux ad at the cinema, and I just…..felt nothing. Except for when I laughed when she said “Sontarans”.

I’m pretty sure I’m not going to watch it. Chibnall is just the worst. Although if nobody else in the thread likes him either and everyone here is just hatewatching, like how the Moffat seasons should have been, then that could be fun.

It's why I didn't/don't get it the last two or three years, when people get all "only x days/weeks until new DW! :dance:". It's Chibnall's DW. How can anyone get excited for his boring drivel?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's Doctor Who, which means it's something to watch and talk about from week to week for a few months

If it's good, then it's good
If it's bad, well, then at least we have something to laugh at

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Chibnall's stuff isn't even bad enough to laugh at. At best it's often cringeworthy and at worst it's boring, neither of which are particularly fun to watch or to make fun of. If Chibnall had produced something truly worthy of being considered "so bad it's good" like "Time and the Rani" or "Nightmare of Eden", then you'd be on to something. Instead his stuff is either just embarrassing, or else it just washes quietly by in a bland gray wave.

I'd go so far as to say the only reaction Chibnall's gotten out of anyone since the start of his run on DW is outrage: outrage that he's wasted Jodie Whittaker (because so many people felt genuine joy and interest in her casting, only to see Chibnall do absolutely nothing with it), outrage over that Kerblam episode (because it was so clearly pro-Amazon-style business practices that it legitimately hurt), and outrage over the Timeless Child stuff (because it's one of the dumbest ideas in the show's history, which is really saying something given how long it's been running in both original and revived forms). But the actual stories that he's put on screen since taking over? Meh.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Taking out the camp from Doctor Who is like taking the baking out of the Great British Baking show.

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t think he’s given us anything as amazingly bad as Fear Her or In the Forest of the Night; his biggest flaw as showrunner is that, unlike the last two, none of his scripts have ever been best of season and he often struggles to land more than one or two above average. He also seems to have a higher percentage of episodes in his series which are competent to good but then get spoiled by the ending.

On the other hand, he gave us both Jodie Whittaker and Jo Martin. I’m not going to praise him for mostly wasting Jodie’s Doctor, but it was still a big step and no other showrunner was willing to take it. Now that’s he’s done it, anyone could play the Doctor in the future, and that’s a big deal.

The show’s had worse producers. I don’t have much patience for Innes Lloyd’s attitudes towards companions, for instance. It’s probably had a worse script editor, though Chibnall can be nominated in that category. As the combined showrunner, with only two others for comparison, Chibnall is worst, but by classic show standards his record looks somewhat better.

Taking the long view, Who may never have looked so good on the screen, had as many good actors or sets. Scripting remains inconsistent, but I wonder if there’s any well-scripted episodes that have been let down by production design or bad performances, as in the old days of the show. Question for the thread.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
At the very least, Whittaker might get a few charming and likable bits before the script starts insisting that she play the Doctor as passively as possible again. Because we can't have 13 written as having confidence or inventiveness or mystery or anger like any other previous incarnation.

Wait....this entire arc is going to be pushing the timeless child thing more and more isn't it? :ohdear:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Narsham posted:

As the combined showrunner, with only two others for comparison, Chibnall is worst, but by classic show standards his record looks somewhat better.

I'd disagree with this because his record pales in comparison to Hinchliffe/Holmes, whose run was arguably the gold standard for the classic era of the show.

quote:

Taking the long view, Who may never have looked so good on the screen, had as many good actors or sets.

On that note, I just read this article: Chris Chibnall Tried to Turn Doctor Who into Prestige TV

quote:

[...]Taken as a whole, it seems like Chibnall is turning Doctor Who into a much more generic piece of modern television. In 2012, Andy Greenwald decried the rise of shows he described as “prestige simulacra,” which mimicked the look and feel of prestigious television. It can sometimes feel like Chibnall has pushed Doctor Who into that zone.

Like a lot of television aspiring to “prestige” status, Chibnall’s Doctor Who is appreciably darker and earthier in cinematography. It’s also reflected in the repeated use of “cinematic” to describe Chibnall’s stylistic innovations, a loaded term when some still think that the highest compliment that can be paid to television is to compare it to cinema. Even the aspect ratio invites comparisons to House of Cards, Fargo, and The Handmaid’s Tale – all television aspiring to “importance.”[...]Chibnall’s final season, titled Flux, has been sold as “one epic story,” the first time the show has done this since “The Trial of a Time Lord” in 1986.

This Doctor Who move takes another page from the prestige television playbook, where entire seasons and shows are often framed as 10-to-73-hour “movies” and where the worth of a story is often measured by how it contributes to the endgame. It’s notable that one of the most fundamental features of Chibnall’s “Timeless Child” revelation is how it tries to impose meaningful continuity on the history of Doctor Who, something the show has avoided for decades. Chibnall is trying to give Doctor Who a “canon.”

quote:

It often feels like Chibnall has the idea of having the Doctor meet a key figure and learn about their importance, but no idea what the show actually wants to say. In “Rosa,” the Doctor seems to argue that Rosa Parks’ activism worked out because mankind eventually named an asteroid after her. In “Spyfall,” the Doctor wipes Noor Inayat Khan’s memory before consigning her to torture and execution in Dachau; she also weaponizes Nazi racism against the Master (Sacha Dhawan).

All of this plays as confused and clumsy gesturing towards the idea of “importance.”[...]

quote:

There is a sense in which the Chibnall era is insistent that Doctor Who is “serious business.”[...]The irony, of course, is that many of the big problems with 1980s Doctor Who derived from the same insistence that Doctor Who should be taken seriously. The retrofitted continuity of Chibnall’s “Timeless Child” arc recalls the convoluted fan service of something like “Attack of the Cybermen.” Similarly, the scale and spectacle of Chibnall’s “Ascension of the Cyberman” looks like nothing more than an attempt to remake the 1982 serial “Earthshock” with a modern BBC budget.

Chibnall has worked hard to make Doctor Who look more like a Netflix or HBO show, offering the polish and veneer expected of modern prestige television. However, it’s hard not to wonder if this has cost the show something of its unique and distinct identity. Under Davies and Moffat, Doctor Who looked like nothing else. Under Chibnall, it looks like everything else on television.

E: also I'm reminded of something the late great J.G. Ballard said back in the early 1980s, when discussing British television with an American interviewer, who'd remarked how much better the British TV they saw on PBS was than the comparable American TV of the time. Ballard responded with something along the lines of "saying [Britain] has the best TV in the world is like saying we have the best junk food in the world".

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 30, 2021

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Looks it's all blowing up with Bill Baggs and BBV Productions online at the moment, due to them hiring a known sexual predator for a role, and Baggs trying to shut down all criticism of it on Twitter.

Apparently he still owes a lot of people money too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

f Chibnall had produced something truly worthy of being considered "so bad it's good" like "Time and the Rani" or "Nightmare of Eden"

The Nightmare of Eden has an excellent script, it just didn't translate well. The Target novelisation was one of my favourites as a lad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Nightmare on Eden was the first story I saw and therefore I consider it unimpeachable regardless of what the episode is actually like.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Nightmare of Eden has an excellent script, it just didn't translate well. The Target novelisation was one of my favourites as a lad.

It was basically the combo of Douglas Adams as script editor, and Tom at the height of his popularity, that doomed it. Adams tended towards the quirkier side of things, and Tom was so entrenched in the role of the Doctor that (as he himself later admitted) he could basically intimidate directors and producers into letting him play the role however he wanted to, and that was the result.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't wait to find out Gallifrey was destroyed, AGAIN! Honestly, i hated how they keep doing that in NuWho. I always loved there was a planet of bureaucrats and bean counters that would every once and a while interfear with the doctors adventures.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

twistedmentat posted:

I can't wait to find out Gallifrey was destroyed, AGAIN! Honestly, i hated how they keep doing that in NuWho. I always loved there was a planet of bureaucrats and bean counters that would every once and a while interfear with the doctors adventures.

That depends on whether or not RTD retcons the Timeless Child bullshit, because otherwise it's not just a planet of stodgy old bureaucrats, but a planet of people that tortured the poo poo out of the TC and stole their regeneration secrets. Makes going back there a bit awkward if that's still the case.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That depends on whether or not RTD retcons the Timeless Child bullshit, because otherwise it's not just a planet of stodgy old bureaucrats, but a planet of people that tortured the poo poo out of the TC and stole their regeneration secrets. Makes going back there a bit awkward if that's still the case.

I mean, the timeless child stuff is unmitigated horse poo poo, but this particular objection... Not really? That is supposed to have happened at the very beginning of time lord society (before there were really time lords, just Gallifreyans). So its like saying the doctor should avoid the US because of how the american settlers treated native americans, or that the doctor should never visit Britain because of how britain has treated... Well, everybody really, if you give me a minute I'll dig out the map of everyone the UK has never been to war with. Except seperated by thousands (millions? hosed if I know) of years instead of just a couple of hundred. The Time Lords have done worse to the doctor more recently without making it particularly weird he sometimes goes to Gallifrey (hell, he visited Scaro relatively recently too). And "tortured the poo poo out of the timeless child and stole their regeneration secrets" is at best an extremely colourful way of describing what we actually saw on screen.

The timeless child is a bad enough idea we dont need to make up reasons for it to be bad. The actual idea is bad enough.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

SiKboy posted:

I mean, the timeless child stuff is unmitigated horse poo poo, but this particular objection... Not really? That is supposed to have happened at the very beginning of time lord society (before there were really time lords, just Gallifreyans). So its like saying the doctor should avoid the US because of how the american settlers treated native americans, or that the doctor should never visit Britain because of how britain has treated... Well, everybody really, if you give me a minute I'll dig out the map of everyone the UK has never been to war with. Except seperated by thousands (millions? hosed if I know) of years instead of just a couple of hundred. The Time Lords have done worse to the doctor more recently without making it particularly weird he sometimes goes to Gallifrey (hell, he visited Scaro relatively recently too). And "tortured the poo poo out of the timeless child and stole their regeneration secrets" is at best an extremely colourful way of describing what we actually saw on screen.

The timeless child is a bad enough idea we dont need to make up reasons for it to be bad. The actual idea is bad enough.

"The Time Lords have done worse to the Doctor more recently" exactly how?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well there was the time he spent 2 billion years in a clockwork torture chamber...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Also the Doctor should avoid the US over what they did to the Native Americans, if I'm being perfectly honest

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"The Time Lords have done worse to the Doctor more recently" exactly how?

I mean, about half the interactions we've seen him have with them in the entire run of the show? I was specifically thinking of

Dabir posted:

Well there was the time he spent 2 billion years in a clockwork torture chamber...

but again, as the timeless child stuff is supposed to happen pre hartnell, pick any bad thing the time lords did to the doctor and its more recent than the timeless child stuff.

Oh, and I looked it up. This stuff is supposed to have happened while Gallifrey had a society but before they mastered time travel, so "The End of Time" pegs it at more than ten million years ago, but less than a billion years ago. Which gives us a hell of a margin of error because I dont think that RTD really thought about how long a billion years is, but there we are; I stand by my comment that deciding the doctor shouldnt visit gallifrey because of the actions of one time lord somewhere between 10000000 and 1000000000 years ago is frankly ridiculous when the doctor spends most of their time on earth and we've (as a species) murdered untold numbers of kids. This isnt a The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas situation here. A better reason for the doctor to not visit gallifrey without a retcon is that theres nobody there because apparently the master somehow killed all of them because, and I cant stress this enough, the timeless child was a loving stupid story.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also the Doctor should avoid the US over what they did to the Native Americans, if I'm being perfectly honest

If I'm being perfectly honest I think the doctor should spend more time in places where they see injustice, not less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

SiKboy posted:

the timeless child was a loving stupid story

I mean, we're in agreement that it was a poo poo story, I just disagree that the Doctor might not be so eager to return to Gallifrey after being told "Gallifrey isn't your home planet, and you were forced to regenerate over and over again until one of their ancient scientists figured out just how you did it, so they could do it too".