Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

I go back and forth on this, but sometimes it feels like "sex pest" is too cutesy a euphemism for what these people do.

It's a catch-all term, considering it includes both violent and nonviolent actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Reminder there's a NEW(!) episode of Doctor Who on in less than 12 hours!

Kinda feel like this should be a way bigger deal, thanks a bunch Chris Chibnall :mad:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Happy New Doctor Who day to all. Just three episodes until the Chibnall era is over.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The story has far too many factions and subplots for its own good, but the first episode of Resurrection of the Daleks has some really good world building. Compare the prison to the base in Warriors of the Deep a mere 3 stories ago - utterly incomparable.

And Lytton is bobbins, the Doctor is barely in it and spends most of his time shooting things, blah blah blah. We all know the problems

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edward Mass posted:

It's a catch-all term, considering it includes both violent and nonviolent actions.
Yes, that's exactly my problem with it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DoctorWho_BBCA/status/1475874938179375109?s=20

So for us Americans, the New Year's special is on today at 2:00pm, and is running from 2:00-3:24pm (according to the BBC America schedule)

HOWEVER,

BBC America is ALSO advertising a "Bonus/Extended Edition" that's airing tonight at 8:00pm, and is running from 8:00-10:34pm.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/DoctorWho_BBCA/status/1475874938179375109?s=20

So for us Americans, the New Year's special is on today at 2:00pm, and is running from 2:00-3:24pm (according to the BBC America schedule)

HOWEVER,

BBC America is ALSO advertising a "Bonus/Extended Edition" that's airing tonight at 8:00pm, and is running from 8:00-10:34pm.
Doesn't the first showing typically air in full and then subsequent ones are cut down? It sounds like the 8pm showing will just also be in full.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Doesn't the first showing typically air in full and then subsequent ones are cut down? It sounds like the 8pm showing will just also be in full.

Yeah, but he second airing is also an hour longer than the initial one

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1477325589468094472?s=20

That's going to be interesting; I thought Frazier Hines did an INCREDIBLE job as the Doctor. Also, the picture of an older Jamie leads me to believe that this is going to tie in with the forthcoming "Beyond War Games" Second Doctor boxset BF is doing.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 1, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Monopoly is absolutely a toxic piece of material.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

To be fair, manchester is kind of poo poo.

ETA: But less poo poo than the game of monopoly, this is true.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh so that's the explanation for why the TARDIS had gotten so weird, it was sick of its design too!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ok, that's a cool Dalek upgrade

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sadly now nick must be removed from the storage area as hes in breach of the list.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

IIIIITS GROUNDHOG DOC!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Very quick special this year, Doctor shows up and gets exterminated, the end!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Just shoo!" with a little foot stomp :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So every loop takes them a minute closer to midnight, and it seems like the loop only resets when everybody in the building dies.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Still not as sassy as the dalek in Doomsday.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The "Chivalrous/Patronizing" bit with Nick shoving her in front of him was awesome.

Edit: Dan rules.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 1, 2022

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm beginning to think she should fire Geoff. Unless of course it turns out this is a bogus journey situation where Geoff is in fact one of team tardis setting up what they'll need to survive the time loop.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

You know, what, even in that situation, fire Geoff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddammit I was hoping the Dalek would stop to just listen like it was enjoying its stories :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Ya think you can kill a Rasta!?!" :hfive:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dammit, still the old console.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anyway, without any kind of qualification I can say that that was a really great episode. I basically loved every part of it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

That was better than the entire last season! In that it told told a story in a basically competent way, and that effect broadly speaking followed cause, and they didnt try and replace logic with loud noises and bright lights. Wasnt perfect or anything, but pretty decent.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
That was good, but do we really need another "companion is in love with the doctor" plotline (especially this close to another regen/showrunner change)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I am so, so glad we got a genuinely good episode for Jodie Whittaker's Doctor this close to the end. A nice small scale story with supporting characters we care about and plenty of laugh out loud lines. Just really good telly and I wish we'd had more episodes like this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

That was good, but do we really need another "companion is in love with the doctor" plotline (especially this close to another regen/showrunner change)

While I'm also not particularly a fan of companions falling in love with the Doctor, one thing I dug based on how I interpreted Yaz's "I've never told anybody... even myself" line is that regardless of her focus being on the Doctor (and yeah, that can't end well), the real awakening for Yaz here is that she's gay.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

What a perfectly alright episode that I was happy to watch from start to finish. That's a nice change of pace.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
EASILY the best episode since Chibnall took over. EASILY.

Also, the next episode will feature the Sea Devils, if Wikipedia is telling the truth.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Also, the next episode will feature the Sea Devils, if Wikipedia is telling the truth.

There was a trailer where you see a Sea Devil, yep! But more importantly than that I think the episode features Zheng Yi Sao/Ching Shih: The Terror of South China :hellyeah:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, I just saw the trailer teaser, and apparently it's also called Eve of the Daleks?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's called (spoiler in the title): Legend of the Sea Devils

At the moment the 3rd Special doesn't yet have a name, I guess it probably will get one after the 2nd Special airs.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

It's called (spoiler in the title): Legend of the Sea Devils

At the moment the 3rd Special doesn't yet have a name, I guess it probably will get one after the 2nd Special airs.

The actual video on YouTube has an error, I know that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I haven’t watched the latest ep yet, but I’m looking forward to it based on all your reactions.

The thought hit me earlier, could Chibnall have forced Yaz and Dan onto RTD and the next Doctor? Like, all he had to do was have them present during the regeneration, and that’s now a problem that Rusty has to deal with.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The_Doctor posted:

I haven’t watched the latest ep yet, but I’m looking forward to it based on all your reactions.

The thought hit me earlier, could Chibnall have forced Yaz and Dan onto RTD and the next Doctor? Like, all he had to do was have them present during the regeneration, and that’s now a problem that Rusty has to deal with.

Yeah, but I doubt any modern showrunner would do that, it would reflect really badly, and if someone was of the attitude to do that they'd probably have been removed as show runner rather than having a handover period. I'm assuming Chibnell and RTD had a chat where basically RTD said if he wanted any companions/similar aspects left for the new doctor. Chibnell is bad at making doctor who but he isnt malicious. If RTD wanted theres no reason that Yaz couldnt be a companion for the next doctor. According to the headline of some article my phone was recommending me a few months ago Mandeep Gill was making comments about how Yaz could absolutely continue on if thats the direction they wanted to go in, so sounds like she'd be up for it.

Anyway, it would be a really easy problem to deal with even in the unlikely instance of someone taking that attitude; They get dropped off at home offscreen or in the pre credits sequence of the new showrunners episode 1, or killed off or whatever. The actual problem would be the other way round, if Rusty said "Oh, actually I've got plans for Dan and Yaz, so make sure they are there at the regeneration" and Chibnell has to tell him that actually they've already done scripts and a bunch of producion and Dan dies saving his dog in special #3 and Yaz is revealled as a Rutan in #2".

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, but I doubt any modern showrunner would do that, it would reflect really badly, and if someone was of the attitude to do that they'd probably have been removed as show runner rather than having a handover period. I'm assuming Chibnell and RTD had a chat where basically RTD said if he wanted any companions/similar aspects left for the new doctor. Chibnell is bad at making doctor who but he isnt malicious. If RTD wanted theres no reason that Yaz couldnt be a companion for the next doctor. According to the headline of some article my phone was recommending me a few months ago Mandeep Gill was making comments about how Yaz could absolutely continue on if thats the direction they wanted to go in, so sounds like she'd be up for it.

Anyway, it would be a really easy problem to deal with even in the unlikely instance of someone taking that attitude; They get dropped off at home offscreen or in the pre credits sequence of the new showrunners episode 1, or killed off or whatever. The actual problem would be the other way round, if Rusty said "Oh, actually I've got plans for Dan and Yaz, so make sure they are there at the regeneration" and Chibnell has to tell him that actually they've already done scripts and a bunch of producion and Dan dies saving his dog in special #3 and Yaz is revealled as a Rutan in #2".
Yeah I don't know the inner workings of tv production or whatever but the fact that this handover was announced publicly a long time ago and the fact that it is someone coming "back into the fold " that I would hope that they have been working together towards a smooth handover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Yaz is revealed as a Rutan in #2".

Welcome back to the show, Freema Agyeman!