Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It'd probably just be like the old days, where a new producer comes on, decides they have their own companions to introduce, so poor Dodo has to go live on a farm, never to be seen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Welcome back to the show, Freema Agyeman!

Ah yes, Series 14, where the 14th Doctor carts around all their exes for a few episodes

Wish we could've had Sladen for that - she'd have stories about the Doctor to tell that'd terrify the newbies...

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
A very solid episode, and much better than most of Flux. Aside from the opening of the Doctor just...standing there in an open hallway and getting exterminated, 13 felt more assertive this time! Yaz continues to come across as entitled - the Doctor/companion relationship is meant to be a fundamentally unequal one, so her moaning about not being kept in the loop comes across as grating, especially when 13 isn't half as manipulative or chessmaster-y as say, 7 was with Ace. Plus her moping after the clearly asexual Doctor is awkward. At least with Charley pining for 8, it was because Charley came from a very sheltered background, and got over it quite quickly as her relationship with the Doctor developed. Dan continues to be great.

The Nick stuff was meant to be funny, but came across as a bit creepy. Aisling Bea was great, but Pauline McLynn was too underused.

EDIT: There's a Dalek sale on for Big Finish!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

https://i.imgur.com/eDTI6Dp.mp4

Eve of the Daleks mp4s - click to view:

And linking this one from the "Next time..." trailer because it features a spoiler for the next special.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Daleks are just really entertaining. Briggs gets a lot of mileage out of that voice modulator, especially when he has to have multiple daleks have a conversation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Having Nick Briggs as one of the Daleks boom,"I AM NOT NICK!" must have been tremendous fun for him :)

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

That was the best episode in ages! Genuinely funny, and a plot that actually made sense. I usually find companions-in-love-with-doctor plotlines a bit cringeworthy but this one has potential for me as Yaz dealing with her feelings before, presumably, "her" doctor regenerates away.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dan was going to totally punch that Dalek if The Doctor hadn't stopped him

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So the "extended" version is BBC America tacking on the first ep of some totally unrelated show after the Who ep

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that's "better" than what I assumed, which was that the "extended" version would be adding in another commercial break :laugh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 2, 2022

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Mr Beens posted:

That was good, but do we really need another "companion is in love with the doctor" plotline (especially this close to another regen/showrunner change)

That look at the end where the Doctor is looking at Yaz and Yaz is looking at the fireworks suggests that there’s at least an element of mutuality there. Thirteen is definitely aware that Time will be catching up with her, though.

We got a good “Doctor defining” speech and lots of good moments. Also, I hope the larger framework of the plot and its statement on Chibnall’s run registered: he had to keep trying lots of times before he figured out how to write a great episode.

I won’t speculate on his relationship with his mother.

Also, the unseen Jeff has to be one of the best plot devices the show’s ever had. If this were a Moffat episode we’d be looking out for Jeff to show up in a future story. (“Is it the Master?”)

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

OldMemes posted:

Yaz continues to come across as entitled - the Doctor/companion relationship is meant to be a fundamentally unequal one, so her moaning about not being kept in the loop comes across as grating, especially when 13 isn't half as manipulative or chessmaster-y as say, 7 was with Ace.

While the relationship is always going to be unequal, my partner & I agreed that 13 is a bit too abrupt/rude to Yaz. She’s been with 13 for years at this point but still gets barked at like a newbie. Even when asking reasonable questions. And after 13 said they’d have a chat.

As for the romance stuff; I’d expect Yaz would be grappling with not only her own sexuality but of her cultural expectations. (Her mum or sister was open to a girlfriend back in that terrible spider episode, right?)

Also, the episode was quite enjoyable. It’s a shame we are only getting good episodes like this at the end of the run.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This one was fine, I guess. Some thoughts:

--having skipped this series and about half of the last one, I'm always delighted at how good the opening credits are and dismayed at how they're wasted on the show. The music remains solid, too.

--it's funny how they keeps trying to make the NYE episode A Thing, as if New Year's has the same kind of iconography attached to it as Christmas. Chibnall must be glad he's off the show as he's running out of New Year's puns to make.

--speaking of which, what makes this the Eve of the Daleks?

--Chibnall Who breaks new ground by having the couple killed off during the episode not be gay!

--Gatling gun Daleks are pretty silly, the Dalek design is already so solid that doing anything to make them more threatening doesn't really stick. There's a reason they've hardly ever changed in 60 years. A regular Dalek gun could take down a door in one blast instead of emptying clips into it!

--I dunno what the Flux is, but a Dalek accuses the Doctor of using the Flux to destroy the Daleks, to which she replies, "I didn't do that! The Sontarans did, I just aimed it!" Which sounds very much like the Doctor used the Flux to destroy the Daleks.

--the time loop concept feels kind of underbaked. It could basically just be a linear story. There's no events that happen at the same point in every loop like a New Year's firework going off prematurely or the electricity flickering out for a moment, giving the TARDIS crew cover of darkness for a moment.

--the Doctor getting shot over and over again kind of feels like a metaphor for her failing to act at all proactively. Her speech was fairly decent, though.

--Mandip Gill's role on the show has broadened from staring slightly slack-jawed at the Doctor to staring slightly longingly at the Doctor, which is an... improvement?

--did the TARDIS interior actually change? Was that the joke? It's all the same Himilayan salt crystals.

--three series in and the Doctor has finally discarded any reservations about killing a loving Dalek.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Aisling Bea was amazing. Really added a lot to the episode.

But it was good! Very focused and intense and found a lot to do within its limited confines. I did get a bit tired of the "DALEKS DO NOT ____" lines, maybe if there'd been some payoff to the running gag.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

If you weren't impressed with 'Eve of the Daleks', bear in mind it's actually a prequel story to Jon Pertwee's 'Day of the Daleks', and it makes a lot more sense if you watch that first

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wolfechu posted:

If you weren't impressed with 'Eve of the Daleks', bear in mind it's actually a prequel story to Jon Pertwee's 'Day of the Daleks', and it makes a lot more sense if you watch that first

Really a highly underrated story. The Dalek parts themselves are pretty boring, which I think accounts for it being a pretty forgotten serial, but the overall plot with the Daleks traveling back in time from a future where they have conquered Earth is really good. Pertwee gets in some of his best angry zingers at the human bad guy, too.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Rochallor posted:

Really a highly underrated story. The Dalek parts themselves are pretty boring, which I think accounts for it being a pretty forgotten serial, but the overall plot with the Daleks traveling back in time from a future where they have conquered Earth is really good. Pertwee gets in some of his best angry zingers at the human bad guy, too.

The timeloop plot is there, too!

I really liked Day of the Daleks. I had an early VHS copy that was edited together (with faint cliffhanger stings intact!). Agree that the Dalek bits were pretty dull but I loved the stark atmosphere of Dalek-controlled future, the creepy Aubrey Woods and his lobotomised (robotised) workers. Three making himself at home and eating cheese in the big house was grand. I agree he was at the top of his zinger game across the board.

Am I right in remembering that the Daleks were shoe-horned into an unrelated Louis Marx script?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Haven't they done Daleks with bullets in the classic series? Some technobabble handwave said their guns don't work here, so they had to stick machine guns on while they fixed it or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I did think they did some neat stuff with the Time Loop, though it got a little ropey exactly how long they were in each iteration of the loop since it seemed like each one never made it past midnight before everybody got murdered? Or maybe they did?

I dug Sarah freaking out that if they started the next loop past the point that Nick kept getting killed, then he'd stay dead, and the Doctor realizing they could fake a plot that the Daleks would then counter in the next loop... except the Doctor would be enacting her OTHER plan instead. Having each loop start a minute later each time was a nice touch too I thought, and added some urgency to what might have otherwise been an otherwise toothless scenario.

I just really, really liked this episode and I'm both relieved and mad that Chibnall took so long to remember that he could just do a largely standalone story with clear stakes and no meta-aspects of trying to rewrite show continuity. I hope the following two follow suit, but I'm guessing the 3rd Special will feature the Master as the villain and go whole hog into the Timeless Child nonsense again. That's Future Jerusalem's problem though, for now I'm just gonna enjoy this one for being so good!

Dabir posted:

Haven't they done Daleks with bullets in the classic series? Some technobabble handwave said their guns don't work here, so they had to stick machine guns on while they fixed it or something.

Yeah, Death to the Daleks. They land on a planet where they're told by the inhabitants,"Your weapons won't work here, we set up an energy field so people can't shoot each other. Now you'll have to accept peace and negotiation!" and the Daleks go,"Right, we're off to build a machine gun." :allears:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

How come the doctor instantly died to the Dalek pew-pews (or at least caused the time reset) instead of regenerating?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

How come the doctor instantly died to the Dalek pew-pews (or at least caused the time reset) instead of regenerating?

I think it's come up before that if you get whammied hard enough regeneration doesn't have time to kick in. I want to say "Turn Left" from Season 4 of the revival dealt with this as well as some of the stuff towards the end of 12's run. So, I'm guessing that the rotary Dalek gun has enough to knock it down before it gets started, makes sense since they were a hit squad designed for her.

Edit: On the topic, if you've ever wondered what sepsis feels like as your body fights it, 12's explanation of every cell fighting on in agony is very very accurate

J33uk fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 2, 2022

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
Male character spent the whole episode googly eyed over the female one for apparently three years, and then had a whole storage locker dedicated to his exes stuff? Proper red flags

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Raccoonboy posted:

Male character spent the whole episode googly eyed over the female one for apparently three years, and then had a whole storage locker dedicated to his exes stuff? Proper red flags

Yaz's quiet,"....they're alive still, aren't they?" re: Nick's girlfriends and the obvious relief she and Sarah felt when he assured them they were cracked me up, there was very definitely a creepy serial killer trophy room vibe that I'm glad they didn't pretend wouldn't have been their first thought.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
A new Doctor Who episode that's genuinely pretty good! Haven't seen one of these in a while. I will honestly gladly take just the three of these instead of another full season of nonsense. Hope Chibnall stays on the ball and the next one is as focused as this was (the third one is probably a lost cause already with all the dumb plot threads it has to tie together, though it would be nice to be pleasantly surprised!).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rochallor posted:

--did the TARDIS interior actually change? Was that the joke? It's all the same Himilayan salt crystals.

I think the mood lighting changed from blue to orange-blue

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Still looks like the console's on the upturned belly of a dead spider imo. Still, good episode! Best Xmas one for a while.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

just caught up. I liked it! I think that it may seem better than it was just because of the contrast with the rest of what we've been getting in the last few series, but it was a perfectly good episode. It had a good scope and scale which is often where the crummy episodes start to fall apart: some weird poo poo, some dangerous poo poo, and some interesting side characters are all we need for a good story! It doesn't need to be about reality imploding and turning inside out again.

Wait did the flux still happen and kill most of the universe? It must have, if the Daleks are seeking revenge for it. That just struck me :thunk:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Rochallor posted:

--three series in and the Doctor has finally discarded any reservations about killing a loving Dalek.

It was intensely funny that she even had to ask why the Daleks would send a kill squad after her in the first place.

Of course it's not that she was being dense, Chibs just needed to shoehorn in a reference to the FLOOKS

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

It was intensely funny that she even had to ask why the Daleks would send a kill squad after her in the first place.

Of course it's not that she was being dense, Chibs just needed to shoehorn in a reference to the FLOOKS

Given how many times she's thumbed her nose at them, sometimes it's at least nice to know WHY others want you dead

would've been hilarious if she paused, looked confused and then realized what they were talking about, especially since the Flux isn't the first time the universe has been destroyed or damaged

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Why would the Daleks need a specific reason to kill the Doctor? Wouldn't "YOU ARE THE DOC-TORRRRR!" be enough?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Payndz posted:

Why would the Daleks need a specific reason to kill the Doctor? Wouldn't "YOU ARE NOT DALEK!" be enough?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Robert J. Omb posted:

The timeloop plot is there, too!

I really liked Day of the Daleks. I had an early VHS copy that was edited together (with faint cliffhanger stings intact!). Agree that the Dalek bits were pretty dull but I loved the stark atmosphere of Dalek-controlled future, the creepy Aubrey Woods and his lobotomised (robotised) workers. Three making himself at home and eating cheese in the big house was grand. I agree he was at the top of his zinger game across the board.

Am I right in remembering that the Daleks were shoe-horned into an unrelated Louis Marx script?

I’ve not seen the edited version, but the broadcast version of Day did have the cliffhanger stings following the reprise of the previous episodes cliffhanger. IIRC the director was under the impression that happened with all the reprises.

And you’re right - it was originally a Dalek-less script until they decided to bring them back and forced them unnecessarily into the Marx script.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Payndz posted:

Why would the Daleks need a specific reason to kill the Doctor? Wouldn't "YOU ARE THE DOC-TORRRRR!" be enough?

The impression I got is that the Daleks are now ACTIVELY seeking out the Doctor to exterminate. Whereas before the standing order was: "If the Doctor shows up, EXTERMINATE. Otherwise, please proceed with current plan."

But as of now, the Daleks' single, solitary goal is to EXTERMINATE the Doctor. No other plans, no other objectives, except EXTERMINATE DOCTOR.

My guess is a Dalek will pop up in the next special too. And Jodie's final will be her trying to defeat every single Dalek that is now actively coming for her.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 2, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

My guess is a Dalek will pop up in the next special too. And Jodie's final will be her trying to defeat every single Dalek that is now actively coming for her.

Master: Wait, don't kill her yet, don't you want to hear me babble on about the true origin of the Timeless Child and her REAL history?
Dalek: DALEKS DO NOT CARE!
Doctor: Never thought I'd agree with a Dalek.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Master: Wait, don't kill her yet, don't you want to hear me babble on about the true origin of the Timeless Child and her REAL history?
Dalek: DALEKS DO NOT CARE!
Doctor: Never thought I'd agree with a Dalek.

Reminds me of Lady Peniforte and the Cybermen in Silver Nemesis.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Reminds me of Lady Peniforte and the Cybermen in Silver Nemesis.

Dalek Subordinate: “Is this the hu-man condition called madness, leader?”
Dalek Leader [shooting]: “No-ooo. It is the hu-man condition called DEATH!”

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Payndz posted:

Why would the Daleks need a specific reason to kill the Doctor? Wouldn't "DALEKS DO NOT LIKE DOCTORS!" be enough?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

When the Doctor was wondering about why the Daleks wanted to kill her, I was just thinking "last great time war"?

I was thinking of grabbing the New Adventures of Berenice Summerfield Vol 1 and The Dalek Occupation of Winter in the Big Finish Dalek sale, anything else essential? The Eight Doctor Time War is something I'd like to try, but even with the discounted bundle price, it's too expensive right now for what I've heard aren't that amazing stories.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 3, 2022

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
My expectations were low for the New Years special because I'm not a huge fan of Groundhog Day plots but that might just top The Haunting of Villa Diodati as my favourite Thirteen episode. Although if they were going to establish Yaz falling in love with the Doctor they should have done it earlier than the very end of the tenure. Turns out getting rid of two companions didn't do anything for her character development anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

I was thinking of grabbing the New Adventures of Berenice Summerfield Vol 1 and The Dalek Occupation of Winter in the Big Finish Dalek sale, anything else essential? The Eight Doctor Time War is something I'd like to try, but even with the discounted bundle price, it's too expensive right now for what I've heard aren't that amazing stories.

The first Bernice set is excellent, though a lot of people who hate comedic Who hate the first story. They're wrong, obviously.

The Dalek Occupation Of Winter is pretty good, and I suspect it's meant to be a tacit "Daleks invade The Left Hand of Darkness" story, which is cool.

The Eighth Doctor Time War stories are almost entirely disappointing. I'd suggest avoiding them tbh.