Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dabir posted:

Well there was the time he spent 2 billion years in a clockwork torture chamber...

4 billion :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'd disagree with this because his record pales in comparison to Hinchliffe/Holmes, whose run was arguably the gold standard for the classic era of the show.

How you got from my "Chibnall isn't worst if you compare him with all the producer/script editor pairings across the classic series" to "he can compete with one of the top three pairings if not the very top" I can't imagine.

JNT/Saward isn't always awful, but sometimes is, and the brutalism of the Sixth Doctor era in particular has not aged well at all, especially in comparison to Seven.

twistedmentat posted:

I can't wait to find out Gallifrey was destroyed, AGAIN! Honestly, i hated how they keep doing that in NuWho. I always loved there was a planet of bureaucrats and bean counters that would every once and a while interfear with the doctors adventures.

I predict we're getting a kind of Schrödinger's Gallifrey: it both does and doesn't exist, and the Time Lords are both alive and dead.

I really don't understand why Chibnall, who seemed fascinated by the idea of the Eternals and who has shown himself perfectly capable of the kind of fanwankery that links stories like The Mind Robber and Enlightenment, hasn't deployed them in earnest, especially as set against a potentially unguarded Domain of Time. Instead he toyed about with an Eternal with flying detachable fingers and another one trapped in a hamster ball.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really hope the new half-season is good, and Chibnall somehow manages to finish on a high. I really do. If for no other reason than Jodie Whittaker deserves so much better than she's gotten.

:sigh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm watching because it's more fun to be optimistic about stuff than it is to be a cynical bitch about everything

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

CommonShore posted:

I'm watching because it's more fun to be optimistic about stuff than it is to be a cynical bitch about everything

If the showrunner wasn't someone with a proven track record of turning gold to chrome, I'd agree with you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm still more than willing to be optimistic and hope he learned from the issues of the last two seasons, especially given how much time he had to write this one (and it's only half the length of a regular season). I know I say it a lot, but the man wrote that first season of Broadchurch so he clearly CAN write very good television!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also the Doctor should avoid the US over what they did to the Native Americans, if I'm being perfectly honest

Gonna run out of places on Earth to visit if that becomes the standard and it'd be insanely weird to bang on about considering it's a british show and most earth adventures happen in the UK, the empire so lovely, half the world have holidays celebrating just not being part of it anymore. I think I'd also UK to account for at least some percentage of the atrocities colonists inflicted upon native americans in the part that became the USA. Not to mention all the other brutal euro countries that came over to gently caress people up.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I've not watched the last couple of seasons, mostly due to being busy and forgetting it was on, but I'm excited to jump back in.

And if it's not good, just imagine the eventual Jodie Whittaker Big Finish stories!

(Real question: Do we know when the eps are released on HBO Max? I'd assume that they're in line with / after the BBCA broadcast which :argh:)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

It begins.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ after almost 11 months (which was 9 months after the last episode) FINALLY a new episode of Doctor Who.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The problem with Chibnell starting in media res is that the adventure they tell us they've just been having is pretty much always more interesting sounding than the adventure he's made an episode about.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I did like the "relief" payoff.

Edit: And I already like Dan - just showing up to museums to enthusiastically give tours he isn't qualified for.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 31, 2021

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Our baddie appears to be spikey red skeletor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hey, I like soup.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Our baddie appears to be spikey red skeletor.

Did the actor change between killing and absorbing his guard? I wasn't entirely sure if the actress who played the guard was beneath the monster make-up once she was killed, or if it was the voice and look being different that threw me off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahahaha what a little cutie this villain is :3:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Should've had the kids dressed up as aliens who had invaded Earth

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Doctor taking credit for the infamous corner taken quickly to Origi. :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ok, I like Dan

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Are you not supposed to keep chillies in the fridge? I keep them there, I assumed they keep better there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Given Dan’s house shrunk, the Master’s involved, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe the TARDIS is fed up with its ugly console room too?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Okay, I just realized you Brits aren't getting commercial breaks with your viewing, so you're going to be ahead of us Yanks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh, that's what she meant by taking the long way home.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Okay, I just realized you Brits aren't getting commercial breaks with your viewing, so you're going to be ahead of us Yanks.

Doctor Who.... with commercial breaks? I can't even imagine what that's like.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Oh good, chibnal has gone back to the "the doctor has important things in her past that she doesnt remember" well.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also, the Big Bad is totally Crispy Master, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that was all over the place and I imagine will make more sense with the context of the rest of the season, since it's obviously all one big story, but it was interesting at least. Dan is good, and without Graham and Ryan in the mix Yaz is actually getting to do something for a change which was nice.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Well, that certainly was a bunch of things happening one after another. Felt like the scripts for about 4 episodes got shuffled together and they just filmed it. Possibly two of those episodes script pages seemed quite interesting! But as presented nothing had any time to breathe, no tension was built for anything. It looked nice overall, but the dog aliens mask movements when it spoke were... inconsistent at best. I'm glad we're back to angels transporting people in time instead of flat out killing them.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Dan is already much better than Yaz. I missed the first few minutes so I'm going to watch them on iplayer.

We've had fifty years of development and stories for the Master, but I guess Chinball has decided that this bloke who looks like a recycled design from the Tim Shaw guy is THE DOCTOR'S TRUE AND SECRET ARCHNEMESIS all along. Plus with all the 7 pulled, this rings a little hollow in comparison.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well that was all over the place and I imagine will make more sense with the context of the rest of the season, since it's obviously all one big story, but it was interesting at least. Dan is good, and without Graham and Ryan in the mix Yaz is actually getting to do something for a change which was nice.

We in America aren't done with the ep yet!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

TinTower posted:

Also, the Big Bad is totally Crispy Master, right?

I was thinking that for a moment, but it doesn't make timeline sense, and honestly Beevers utterly owns the role of the 13th Master, so recasting would be a shame.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Dan is already much better than Yaz. I missed the first few minutes so I'm going to watch them on iplayer.

We've had fifty years of development and stories for the Master, but I guess Chinball has decided that this bloke who looks like a recycled design from the Tim Shaw guy is THE DOCTOR'S TRUE AND SECRET ARCHNEMESIS all along. Plus with all the 7 pulled, this rings a little hollow in comparison.

Looking forward to the end of the season when he finds out the reason the Doctor doesn't remember him is because he's just one of a few dozen forgettable aliens she ran into a couple thousand years earlier as Ruth-Doctor before the Time Lords regenerated her into Pertwee and dumped him in Epping.

"Sorry you all kind of just... blended together..... after awhile. Ironic really, given what you do."

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
That was...... pretty good. Hated the first 5 minutes but it picked up after the opening credits and I was entertained. Looking forward to next week.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Looking forward to the end of the season when he finds out the reason the Doctor doesn't remember him is because he's just one of a few dozen forgettable aliens she ran into a couple thousand years earlier as Ruth-Doctor before the Time Lords regenerated her into Pertwee and dumped him in Epping.

"Sorry you all kind of just... blended together..... after awhile. Ironic really, given what you do."

Honestly I'm assuming that the series ends with her locking him on a rock in a containment field at the dawn of the universe, and the reason she doesnt remember him is that this is the first time they've met from her perspective, while he's locked in a time loop or some such.

I like your idea better to be fair, but I dont think chibnells got the self awareness to do that to his big bad.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

SiKboy posted:

Honestly I'm assuming that the series ends with her locking him on a rock in a containment field at the dawn of the universe, and the reason she doesnt remember him is that this is the first time they've met from her perspective, while he's locked in a time loop or some such.

And maybe he turns out to be that rando Claire woman who mentioned taking the long way.

Could still be the Master. My wife's been watching old Dr Who on Britbox this last year (I've already seen most of it so I'm halfwatching ) and we're just at Logopolis, so the Master being some deformed creature and setting off some scheme that starts deleting part of the universe would be somewhat fitting, I guess? Also all this time and all this Who and it wasn't until yesterday that I found out that this new series was starting. Not the worst episode but I'd have rather been rewatching Logopolis...

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

SiKboy posted:

I like your idea better to be fair, but I dont think chibnells got the self awareness to do that to his big bad.

Honestly this wouldn't be a bad ending for it but doesn't really jive with 'our battles over thousand of years' in a satisfying way.

I liked it though. I'm really pleased by Doctor Who though.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

EdBlackadder posted:

Honestly this wouldn't be a bad ending for it but doesn't really jive with 'our battles over thousand of years' in a satisfying way.

I liked it though. I'm really pleased by Doctor Who though.

It does if she now fights him for thousands of years, leading to her beating him then regenerating at the end of the season! For the record, I dont think this would be a good or satisfying ending, its just my prediction for what they're going to do.

I'd say overall I liked bits of it, its just easier to pick out the bits that I didnt like. Maybe once I've seen the whole season I'll feel differently. John Bishop was fine, Yaz had some stuff to do, Whittaker is always a delight when the script gives her even the tiniest crumb to work with, the weeping angels back to time displacing people, the overall look of the show, all good. The pacing, tension building and storytelling of the episode on the other hand did not work for me at all. The redesign of the Sontarans has made them look more comical instead of less, but thats my personal take on the aesthetics, others may disagree.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved the redesign of the Sontarans when I saw the image, and I still like how they look... but I'm confused as to why they redesigned them to look like the more serious/dangerous versions from the 70s.... and then wrote dialogue where they're being comical again. I guess next episode we'll see what tone they choose to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

I loved the redesign of the Sontarans when I saw the image, and I still like how they look... but I'm confused as to why they redesigned them to look like the more serious/dangerous versions from the 70s.... and then wrote dialogue where they're being comical again. I guess next episode we'll see what tone they choose to take.

It seems to me they've changed the proportions of the torso and arms somewhat, so they are less squat (as well as changing the shape of the heads). But to me the effect has been to make them look less like they are built like space dwarves, and more like they are built like space toddlers.