Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Did people like Shada? Is it worth all the attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SecretOfSteel posted:

Did people like Shada? Is it worth all the attention?

I thoroughly enjoyed the novelization they put out several years ago, but unfortunately I checked and it was written by noted shithead Gareth Roberts, so I guess we hope that this version turns out well.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The version with the animated scenes released as a movie a few years ago was fun. Even came with all the extras if you bought it on iTunes instead of on disc.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Shada being half finished is a lot of its allure. The fact that a good chunk of it was actually filmed, rather than just being a rejected script like most of the 'lost stories'.

I couldn't decide what to watch tonight, so I'm sticking on The Chimes of Midnight.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without it

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without it

I mean it was released during a February and Big Finish had a tweet along event in a May.... :v:

The music is so good. And the bits where the house tries to absorb Charley into the narrative al a The Shining is just horrifying. And McGann does indignant rage and disgust so well - something the 13th Doctor needs more of.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 24, 2021

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The version with the animated scenes released as a movie a few years ago was fun. Even came with all the extras if you bought it on iTunes instead of on disc.

The Paul McGann Big Finish version with Lalla Ward is pretty good, too - I think this might have been webisodes with animations at first, but it works well as straight audio too.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
My rewatch of the Fifth Doctor's era had an unexpected Christmas bonus:

My brother said he heard the theme music coming out of my room for like a week, so he figured this would be an appropriate gift :D

"And incidentally, a Happy Christmas to all of you at home!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9xUK6ZL9lk

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/iancartoons/status/1474653839064240134

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*breathlessly* okay. Okay, I know it's probably been a couple of hours since I last posted. I'm caught up on Doctor Who now, you can all discuss the Flux season. Have sign-ups for secret Santa started? What do you mean, "Look at the calendar"?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

More seriously, I think I actually enjoyed that season. It was a total, disjointed trainwreck but it was just so weird. I like the two people who were on a journey to be together, Dan is cool, they finally gave Thirteen and Yaz some stuff to do, the professor and Victorian tunnel mole are solid archetypes to throw into the mix, and they don't really dwell on anything long enough to let it wear out it's welcome, except the early Buffy level make up job on the main villains with unclear motivations.

I still don't like the Timeless Child, but I'm less annoyed with it than I thought it would be. At the end of the day, it just means that the Time Lords were a bunch of blustering idiots, which is more or less how they've been portrayed since Tom Baker's era. The Doctor is still just some lost orphan who stole a time machine and for all we know some other group of blustering traditionalist jerkwads from Universe 69 created regeneration and stuck it in her by mistake. I think delving into the past regenerations too much or even revisiting the Timeless Child idea at length would be a mistake, and "the Master destroyed Gallifrey offscreen" is a weird way to write it off, but Davies had the right idea getting rid of the drat Time Lords right away for the revival, so whatever. I think I read it more as "the Time Lords were ultimately unimportant" more than "the Doctor was the most importantest person of all," it was just really clumsily handled.

It's insane that there are only going to be a few specials between now and 2023, though. COVID really did screw with TV.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We can at least say for sure that Chibnall hasn't approved anything as abominable as In the Forest of the Night, right?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dabir posted:

We can at least say for sure that Chibnall hasn't approved anything as abominable as In the Forest of the Night, right?

The Doctor weaponized the Master's race and handed him over to the Nazis. Also, he continued employing known sex pest John Barrowman.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dabir posted:

If amazon kills a few people its not that big a deal, deep down amazon is the good guy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SiKboy posted:

If amazon kills a few people its not that big a deal, deep down amazon is the good guy.

That one was so weird, lol. I rewatched it at one point and it genuinely feels like somebody else wrote the ending. It would have been a fun one without the twist.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bicyclops posted:

That one was so weird, lol. I rewatched it at one point and it genuinely feels like somebody else wrote the ending. It would have been a fun one without the twist.

Honestly I'd even have forgiven it if they had revealed that the corporation had only pretended to kill the worker and they were returned (unharmed) during the climax. Messaging would still have been screwy (The Corporation Is Your Friend And Must Be Given Benefit Of The Doubt), but at least it could have been played as "the AI resorted to desperate measures to draw attention to the evil of its management, but crucially didnt cross the line into murder" or similar.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SiKboy posted:

That was bad, but it's unlikely that it would directly cause as much harm as "hey kids, don't take your meds, the voices are real and they need your help".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dabir posted:

That was bad, but it's unlikely that it would directly cause as much harm as "hey kids, don't take your meds, the voices are real and they need your help".

Individual harm, sure. Societal harm though...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't seen any of season Flux and I kinda fell off at the end of the previous season. Is it worth catching up? I know RTD is taking back over and I guess that'll happen after the 2022 specials along with a new Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
THE DOCTOR: Yaz I want to ADDRESS this issue
[Khan nods]
You KNOW I am sensitive to the Holocaust
KHAN: Absolutely
THE DOCTOR: BUT!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

9th Doctor: I am sad that I genocided the Time Lords
10th Doctor: I am sad that the Time Lords are gone
11th Doctor: Oh hey I didn't kill the Time Lords and they're ok, that's cool
12th Doctor: I miss the Time Lords and want to reconnect with Gallifrey
13th Doctor: Gallifrey dead again? Eh I don't care about that lol

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't seen any of season Flux and I kinda fell off at the end of the previous season. Is it worth catching up? I know RTD is taking back over and I guess that'll happen after the 2022 specials along with a new Doctor.

There's two episodes that would be fine standalone ones in a normal seasons, and some fun characters, but they're in a soup full of utter nonsense, and the ending just fizzles out. It makes little sense as one ongoing story.

Whittaker and Dan Bishop are a delight together though.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 26, 2021

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Start watching. If you're not interested by the end of the second episode, you can either quit there or try watching just Village of the Angels.

It's probably the best Who Chibnall has written, and Whittaker gets some really good moments. Just go in expecting action over plot coherence and a focus on swiftly developed characters over character arcs. Lots of ideas, some which get dropped and a few which get some development, but as a meal it's more of a stew with some tasty elements than a full-course dinner.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Josh Lyman posted:

Its real bad.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Narsham posted:

It's probably the best Who Chibnall has written

SiKboy posted:

Its real bad.

Lmao Whittaker please don't regenerate in 2022

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Dabir posted:

I recall people getting upset at Dark Water for the "don't cremate me" line, arguing that it would be insensitive towards those whose loved ones were recently cremated.

I feel like moral aggrandising around DW and its effects on the youth is missing the point, it's in the show's DNA to be a bit edgy. That said, the Kerblam thing and the Doctor handing the Master to the Nazis were definitely sending the wrong message.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Updog Scully posted:

I recall people getting upset at Dark Water for the "don't cremate me" line, arguing that it would be insensitive towards those whose loved ones were recently cremated.

That's a spooky concept (and a deceptive part of an evil scheme cooked up by the villains). ITFOTN's denoument is the Doctor, our hero who's basically always right about everything, practically looking into the camera and going "If your kids are hearing voices, it's because they really are being contacted by the fairies, don't give them antipsychotics".

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Dabir posted:

the Doctor, our hero who's basically always right about everything, practically looking into the camera and going "If your kids are hearing voices, it's because they really are being contacted by the fairies, don't give them antipsychotics".

The episode needs a disclaimer that warns "this ONLY applies if a magical forest has appeared overnight and there are lions and tigers".

Predicting RTD will introduce a new foe: the CryptoMen - the Cybermen get into crypto and turn unsuspecting humans into NFTs.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Updog Scully posted:

Predicting RTD will introduce a new foe: the CryptoMen - the Cybermen get into crypto and turn unsuspecting humans into NFTs.

Cyberman: We realized that our organs were too fungible, so we gradually replaced them with non-fungible ones until we became the beings you see before you.

Alternatively: Mondas is what happens when you right click → save image on Earth.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Unfortunately Elon Musk and other NFT advocates are too inept and unlikable to be a Doctor Who villain, even compared to the wiz kid from that Sonataran two parter, Chris Noth's character, Chris Noth himself, and Adric.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Techbros seems to come up as secondary antagonists a fair few times. Yes, evil, but in the service of a greater alien evil.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I hope that Chris Noth's character ends up being unceremoniously exterminated in the New Year's special so that the question of having another sex pest as US president in the show is dodged.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Techbros attempt to restore the parts of the universe destroyed in the Flux through Blockchain Transfer Computations. Chaos ensues as it gives rise to a new race of hideous pixelated apes

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

TinTower posted:

I hope that Chris Noth's character ends up being unceremoniously exterminated in the New Year's special so that the question of having another sex pest as US president in the show is dodged.

How many sex pests have there been in modern DW? Noel Clarke, Barrowman, and Chris Noth, have any other ones been confirmed?

(I say modern DW because we already unfortunately know that the BBC was basically Sex Pest Central back in the original series' day. I recall reading something about the harassment Nicola Bryant endured during her first season as Peri, to name just one horrible example :smith:)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Updog Scully posted:

The episode needs a disclaimer that warns "this ONLY applies if a magical forest has appeared overnight and there are lions and tigers".

Crypto-Men: OUR AZZETS MUZT THRIVE!
Doctor: Yes, but why? For what purpose?
Crypto-Men: ...... THEY MUZZZZZZT!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(I say modern DW because we already unfortunately know that the BBC was basically Sex Pest Central back in the original series' day. I recall reading something about the harassment Nicola Bryant endured during her first season as Peri, to name just one horrible example :smith:)

And, of course, you know, the time Jimmy Savile came to town and Colin suddenly became very protective of the little lad who had it fixed for him.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TinTower posted:

And, of course, you know, the time Jimmy Savile came to town and Colin suddenly became very protective of the little lad who had it fixed for him.
I watched the documentary on 'The Sontaran Experiment' and the part about 'A Fix With Sontarans' ends with Colin looking knowingly into camera and saying something like "Jimmy Savile - more scary than any monster." Since the DVD was released before Savile died and the truth about him came out, it turns from a quip into :stare:.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1476889378563702803?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How is Jon Culshaw’s Brig impression?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I go back and forth on this, but sometimes it feels like "sex pest" is too cutesy a euphemism for what these people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

How is Jon Culshaw’s Brig impression?

Dead on