Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I ... didn't hate it, but it was all setup. We'll see if Chibnall can stick the landing.

I winced at the inclusion of the Weeping Angel, given how badly they've been handled ever since "Blink," but it wasn't too bad here, and it looks like it'll just be a side plot anyway.

And while I rolled my eyes at Dan when he was announced as the new companion -- oh wow, a white guy from 21st-century Britain, really stretching for interesting companions are we? -- he's been decent so far.

"Hi, I'm a super evil, universe-threatening, eternal enemy of the Doctor who's been somehow erased from her memory" isn't a bad premise to start with, but then Chibnall has a bad history with memory manipulation, so fingers crossed he pulls this one off. And the Swarm/Flux/whatever came across as genuinely scary, especially when it just casually gobbled up Neptune while pursuing the TARDIS into the solar system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The episode was interesting, if not confusing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Marmaduke! posted:

Could still be the Master. My wife's been watching old Dr Who on Britbox this last year (I've already seen most of it so I'm halfwatching ) and we're just at Logopolis, so the Master being some deformed creature and setting off some scheme that starts deleting part of the universe would be somewhat fitting, I guess? Also all this time and all this Who and it wasn't until yesterday that I found out that this new series was starting. Not the worst episode but I'd have rather been rewatching Logopolis...
Every so often, I remember "Oh yeah, the Master destroyed a huge chunk of the entire universe almost as an aside, including Nyssa's home planet and everyone and everything she ever knew. Wonder if anything ever came of that?" Nope

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SiKboy posted:

Oh good, chibnal has gone back to the "the doctor has important things in her past that she doesnt remember" well.

I literally broke out laughing at this revelation.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

*Uncovers eyes*

I'm so mad at you jerks who've seen this already. :mad:

*Covers eyes and runs away*

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I enjoyed it! I realize some of that is just down to not having anything new in hundreds of years, but....

I'm interested to see how this Moffat style puzzle box all fits together, and I'm just hopped up enough on Halloween candy and cold medicine to maintain hope that it will.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Looks like the Sontarans will be foes but end up as friends. The interesting bit is that it looks to me like that angel was working with (or for) the Doctor and deliberately transporting someone back in time to be somewhen the Doctor will need her.

I wonder if Chibnall asked the question "If the angels are from the dawn of time and quantum-locked, what did they need to be quantum-locked to protect themselves from?"

Whether Bone-face is supposed to be Fenric or not isn't clear, but so far he and his sister seem to be very much in the Fenric/Gods of Ragnarok mold, suggesting we may be getting Chibnall's version of the Cartmel Masterplan this series. Sadly, the odds of him being Sutekh are just about zero (although he did have a sister!). I'm pretty sure the Black Guardian doesn't have relatives.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm on board.

I've been thinking about Death's End a lot lately and this made me think of Death's End, though it doesn't seem to grasp the hard physics of that (not that I expect Doctor Who to hit the "hard SF" notes).

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Narsham posted:

Whether Bone-face is supposed to be Fenric or not isn't clear, but so far he and his sister seem to be very much in the Fenric/Gods of Ragnarok mold, suggesting we may be getting Chibnall's version of the Cartmel Masterplan this series. Sadly, the odds of him being Sutekh are just about zero (although he did have a sister!). I'm pretty sure the Black Guardian doesn't have relatives.

When I saw the crystals on his face for a moment I thought he was Eldrad, but I guess not!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
At first I thought this was just going to be a continuation of the Satan Pit.
But seems new/old.
I like the design though.
This Dan guy is doing nothing for me, though sounds like everyone else likes him.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Oh wow Marina Sirtis is going to appear in the new Martha boxset. I know it's not a Doctor who actor but still! There's a bit about it in the new vortex magazine.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Confusedslight posted:

Oh wow Marina Sirtis is going to appear in the new Martha boxset. I know it's not a Doctor who actor but still! There's a bit about it in the new vortex magazine.

Yeah, she's on the cover to the boxset

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-year-of-martha-jones-2227

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Halloween Apocalypse gifsmp4s - it's been awhile! Click to view.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doctor Who and the the Attack of the Houdini VFX.

I actually quite enjoyed that, just felt it didn't know what sort of tone it wanted and didn't quite earn the big mystery box setup ending.

Felt like they were going for Westworld S1, but ended up with Westworld S2.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shout out to the random half-arsed Great Value River Song style character intro and death in the middle of the ep.

Ep was... fine. I guess I'm just worried about more Timeless Child levels of loving with the series before Chibnall's out so I'm not enjoy it? It was 100% a setup ep tho

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

It always amazes me how Chibnall's sci-fi names for people or planets or whatever, with loads of K's and V's thrown in, are all so utterly bland and forgettable. They leave the mind the moment after they're spoken.

Thought the ep was pretty decent, certainly above average for Chibnall after the pretty ropey Thor Ragnarok cold open.

The glam costumes and glitter makeup for the baddies worked really well for me. Like Cenobites who prefer Studio 54 to Torture Garden.

I suppose the episode did its job in getting me intrigued enough to stick with it, which I wouldn't have thought possible after the last season and special, but there's the slight feeling of running down the clock until RTD's new vision for the show.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Payndz posted:

Every so often, I remember "Oh yeah, the Master destroyed a huge chunk of the entire universe almost as an aside, including Nyssa's home planet and everyone and everything she ever knew. Wonder if anything ever came of that?" Nope

I'm sure there are stories that call back to previous ones as a hook that aren't terrible, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Narsham posted:

the brutalism of the Sixth Doctor era in particular

The most brutalist story is The Sun Makers

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 1, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm sure there are stories that call back to previous ones as a hook that aren't terrible, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Curse of Fenric? Caves Of Androzani? (You can't tell me the third episode cliffhanger isn't a reference to Earthshock.) Rose's big speech to her mum in The Parting Of The Ways is play on her stuff from Rose too.

Or maybe I've misunderstood the meaning of "hook" in this case? In which case, maybe Genesis Of The Daleks counts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mummy on the Orient Express from the revival?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Curse of Fenric? Caves Of Androzani? (You can't tell me the third episode cliffhanger isn't a reference to Earthshock.) Rose's big speech to her mum in The Parting Of The Ways is play on her stuff from Rose too.

Or maybe I've misunderstood the meaning of "hook" in this case? In which case, maybe Genesis Of The Daleks counts.

More of a plot hook, so Attack of the Cybermen, or any indeed any episode that brings up previous episodes to fill in the authors pet hate plot holes. There's plenty of times where it's worked well with previous unseen adventures, though, or indeed within the story like The Ark, but in the original run all the excessive continuity was bobbins.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Whoa, it's back already? I thought I had more time to catch up for some reason, lol. Somehow I have to fit this in between video games.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The most brutalist story is The Sun Makers

I take it you’ve never seen Day of the Doctor? New series is full of call backs. If you restrict the equation to “new stories calling back to classic series in more than a general way,” you still have the call back to Spearhead from Space in Rose.

If Sun Makers were a Six story, someone else would have been steamed to death before Leela’s turn came up in order to demonstrate the stakes. And we’ve have seen at least one of the underdwellers tortured to death. Also, the Gatherer would have been steamed to death instead of being thrown off a building.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'm talking about Classic exclusively, obviously there are loads in the new series. (Traken being destroyed comes up a fair amount, although there are some serials where it is just ignored (eg Black Orchid))

Narsham posted:

If Sun Makers were a Six story

It was a Brutalism joke

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm talking about Classic exclusively, obviously there are loads in the new series. (Traken being destroyed comes up a fair amount, although there are some serials where it is just ignored (eg Black Orchid))

It was a Brutalism joke

Great Architect identified ITT!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My 7am flight got delayed to 11:35 so I watched Flux episode 1 with all the gravitas Chibnall Who deserves---on airport wifi on my iPhone.

I like Dan. I like the line inserted specifically designed to give a nice place for big finish adventures of Yaz and 13 to be slotted

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just watched it.

Bombast, Doctor being clever, season-long mystery, imaginative aliens...

We've started out Moffat as all heck and I am here for it.

If they play Thirteen's theme music when she does something clever, it'll be perfect. :allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Oh good, chibnal has gone back to the "the doctor has important things in her past that she doesnt remember" well.

still watching the episode, stalling before spoilers, but, what is the memory capacity of a human/timelord brain of the mass the brains are? Memories seem to be highly compressible or mutable, and are wildly unreliably in terms of recording the actual physical facts or reality of anything it remembers or perceives, so I don't know if that means it needs more or less space to do whatever it is doing. Point is, it's hard to believe the Doctorses could physically remember their lifetimes, let alone including any other Doctors' life. As a plot device that one seems totally fair to overuse along with "hey name, remember crazy event at outlandish place in whatever time that demonstrates character quirk and the fun we had together?"

edit: okay, i mean, alright. i think the stakes are too high off the bat in a way that you know, like, it'll be undone someway (alternately: it's all cool on the other side of the flux) but whatever, the degree of the stakes aren't actually that important. I loved the idea of dog people on a mission to rescue their chosen humans and honestly I like the dogman than i've ever liked whatever kind of dog he is, i hope he sticks around as a recurring guest-companion.

the glitter skull villains i liked more than i would think if i just heard them described.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 1, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
DVRed this and watched it today because Halloween night was for horror flicks.

Pretty fun, it's a strong start- like others have said, it's whether they'll stick the landing that's at issue, but here we get to see a lot of cool things happening and the Doctor gets to be active and do stuff and have fun banter with Yaz. I liked "synchronize watches- never mind, I'm not wearing a watch."

Dan has potential. They maybe overpush how nice and sacrificing a guy he is (the show's Up With People attitude is often overdone, especially in the Chibnall years) but the actor is good.

At first I was annoyed with the dog-alien because it was "Oh another villain we don't take seriously" but then it turns out he's a good dog so that's actually a decent twist.

The one plot hole I'll argue is, if the ships can weather the flux and there are enough of them to form a shell around the Earth, why not do that right away? Why did someone have to suggest it?

Overall, strong start. Lots of wild crazy things.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Khanstant posted:

still watching the episode, stalling before spoilers, but, what is the memory capacity of a human/timelord brain of the mass the brains are? Memories seem to be highly compressible or mutable, and are wildly unreliably in terms of recording the actual physical facts or reality of anything it remembers or perceives, so I don't know if that means it needs more or less space to do whatever it is doing. Point is, it's hard to believe the Doctorses could physically remember their lifetimes, let alone including any other Doctors' life. As a plot device that one seems totally fair to overuse along with "hey name, remember crazy event at outlandish place in whatever time that demonstrates character quirk and the fun we had together?"

DW's already dealt with that sort of thing with Ashildr/Me, who was immortal but simply incapable of retaining a thousand years' worth of memories. But then, she wasn't a Time Lord.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Also whatever else one may say about the Timeless Child stuff, it sets a precedent for the Doctor having had multiple lifetimes of adventures she has no memory of. I think that's always been one of the ideas, the Doctor's history is deeper than she even knows.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, I already accept there's countless adventures between what we ever see on the television show, or even adding in all the other media. I'm fine with the conceit that DW has existed for more lifetimes than the ones we've met, I just didn't like the whole, "evil unethical science via child torture prompts time-travel" part of things.

One downside is that every time there is a character I don't know, I am wondering if that is a past Doctor or maybe forgotten doctor companion secretly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Now that you mention it, it is profoundly strange that the show did a GIGANTIC shake-up to the status quo, didn't deal with it in its immediate follow-up because the special wanted to be about something else, which is fine, but then it's just been dropped completely.

I thought we'd have to wait until Rusty came back for The Timeless Children to be memory holed, but alright I guess I'll go with it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
'This enemy seems to be from the Doctor's past but the Doctor doesn't remember them' and 'The Doctor had a secret past with pre-Hartnell regenerations due to the Timeless Child shake-up' seem to go hand-in-hand.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

Now that you mention it, it is profoundly strange that the show did a GIGANTIC shake-up to the status quo, didn't deal with it in its immediate follow-up because the special wanted to be about something else, which is fine, but then it's just been dropped completely.

I thought we'd have to wait until Rusty came back for The Timeless Children to be memory holed, but alright I guess I'll go with it.

The Doctor was asking the Karvanista about 'the Division', so I don't think it's dropped.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, it's clearly building up to some big reveal. Hopefully something that lets the "previous lives" thing be shunted away to wither and die like it should (they should keep Jo Martin though, she's cool!) and firmly establishes the same thing that has been firmly established time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time again over the course of the revival and the entire classic series (apart from ONE throwaway scene that everybody hated and dismissed), that William Hartnell was the first Doctor.

It really, genuinely does bother me that the show would ever try and take that away. Not just because William Hartnell was the first actor, obviously, or that it reeks of a writer desperately trying to stamp their personal mark on the show forever (which will of course be discarded by the next writer regardless, have comic books taught these people nothing!?!), but because the 1st Doctor was an rear end in a top hat when he first appeared. I think it's gigantically important that the Doctor learned to be a better, more "human" person because unlike his people he exposed himself to outside ideas and philosophies, and he grew as a person thanks to his personal experiences with human beings and other "lesser" species and came to reject supremacism and prejudice and eventually become somebody who fought with everything they had to protect people and reject cruelty and malice.

Also they call him the Doctor before he used the fake name Doctor Foreman so Susan could go to school and socialize and Ian and Barbara called him Doctor automatically and the name stuck!

Turning that into,"There were a million billion Doctors before Hartnell and they were all naturally committed idealists!" is just... ugh. UGH!

Anyway forget all that bullshit, I largely liked the first episode and I am keeping my fingers crossed that once all six are out a lot of stuff that kind of doesn't make sense or felt weirdly paced will be recontextualized and come together as a greater whole. I certainly got the impression we were seeing a lot of people/events happening out of order that will come into sharper focus in individual episodes to come. It's new Doctor Who, we're watching new Doctor Who thank God!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lotta dizzy shakycam shenanigans in this episode, but I enjoyed it overall

You have my attention, Doctor Who, let's see if you can stick the landing

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I suppose I should forgive myself for not remembering all the details of The Timeless Children considering I watched it so long ago back in last night.

:doh:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

What is the timeless child?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
That episode ruled. I was hesitant to watch tonight after I had heard some reactions but am glad I did. Wasn't too into last season but this episode has given me hope for the season. The scene with the alien taking off his helmet was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The World Inferno posted:

What is the timeless child?

The Doctor, we are led to believe.