Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
🤰 MY AS YET UNBORN CHILD 🤰

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

That felt like an utter slog. Also, the Professor was blinking while shouting at the TV. Cmon lad.

Doctor Angel is cool though.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 24, 2021

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Well... at least Chibs brought UNIT back. He did disband it because of Brexit right? Those were the days.

Too many disparate threads. Who wanted the Sontarans back? When the kid said there might be an army down there I was expecting them or Silurians, lol. Bel and Jinder keep ambling slowly to where the plot needs them, and The Grand Serpent uh.... spent 50 years setting up a Sontaran attack on Earth... to uh... hey, didn't they get blown up in the Crimean war? I guess the Mouri fixed that or something. Thank gently caress Williamson actually got introduced this episode, I was about to scream when he walked through a door on the boat and disappeared! Also I didn't really get why exactly Tecteun didn't want the Doctor around???

Nice to have a bit of Bathurst and uh... Dot Cottan. Though is half of this written for radio? "I prefer to be called.... THE GRAND SERPENT".

Thought Tecteun's first appearance had a TARDIssy feeling. Still does, but overgrown and old. Looks like a central console.

I am surprised it was Division between Universes rather than Time and Space. They did mention them during this episode so something will come up, who knows?

There's a good episode in here if you just cut half of the plotlines I think. Makes me appreciate Village of the Angels more, actually. The gang, and Yaz especially, was the best part. I liked the romp through UNIT and Dot but just cut the Grand Serpent poo poo, seriously. Spend about 2 minutes on Bel seeing Jinder get kidnapped. She gets recalled to Earth, Sontarans invade on their own.

e: also, Vinder/Bel are absolutely Doc's parents. Got to be.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 29, 2021

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I think the timeline (no pun intended) here is that the Sontarans were informed ahead of time about the Flux and slipped into Earth before the Good Doggies put up their shield, but then got run off by the Doctor in the past and most of them killed by the Lieutenant General, which meant they vowed revenge (because the Sontarans ARE petty potato men) and got involved either via Division or just going straight to the Grand Serpent to set things up so they could return and get their revenge in the 21st Century.

Also Kate asked and never got an answer, but she assumed the Grand Serpent wasn't slowboating through the 50 years but taking quick jumps through time to continue his machinations to neuter UNIT. She rather bitterly asked him if it had taken him as long as a "week" for him to do the damage he did.

Ah yeah, the Sontarans did know about the Flux. Though Kardanista and Dan uh, time-teleported them all in the Liverpool present (since they were in Crimea at the same time) or maybe it was just a regular teleport. That's fine.

The Grand Serpent was there for however long he wants to get written into a UNIT series (could Dot be as good in audio? not sure....).

I do think the Division/Grand Serpent are with each other- maybe he gets to go to the next universe if he destroys Earth.

I did enjoy the episode by the way! The Indiana Jonesing was nice, Yaz was great (though I'm annoyed about her only interaction with the Doctor being snippy and no development). The Grand Serpent is entertaining for sure, it was fun to see UNIT stuff. Just a bit unfocused. It sucks that Division parts were kind of hohum but you gotta have em.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

^^ SHE DIDN'T GET OUT OF THE COCKADOODIE TARDIS

Action Jacktion posted:

This episode had some ideas that might have been good stories on their own, like an alien time traveling through UNIT's history or the tunnels leading to different time periods, but unfortunately they're just part of this story.

yep- the issue is those were the GOOD parts of the story! and the rest of the overall story of flux... not as interesting. i'm confident next episode will tie it all up well though, don't you worry.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 29, 2021

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of those crystals, I assume the TARDIS picked those to visually mesh with the Doctor building her sonic with scavenged crystals that guy trying to find the alien had in his warehouse, and the further we get away from that first episode and the Stenza (who just completely fell flat as a recurring villainous race) the less sense it makes.

You'll take what you get pal. The alternative was making it out of scavenged teeth.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

It's Chibnall, so he's got to know. I'm gonna assume it's just a gag or a very complex way to try and fix it. OR it took 20 years to set UNIT up.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The tree-in-a-tardis was really pretty and would actually justify the reactions of the randoms that find themselves in the tardis for the first time. Currently their reactions should be a slightly bemused shrug and beginning to think about whether they want to play a skill, mental, physical or mystery game.

lmao. Man, reminds me of the bloody game show ep just before Rose. The annbot and Big Brother, fun stuff. With having so much choice of what to watch, can't get that stuff anymore probably.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I just really hope he doesn't end it with,"Answers to the "exciting" questions about the Timeless Child will come in the NEXT special!" - I'd very much like this particular storyline to be over after tomorrow.

Oh please no...

Predictions? Uh... I've got no idea.

Bel and Vinder are the Timeless Parents somehow, I guess. Doesn't something have to be tied up with the planet Time raid with Karvanista being there? I really don't care about what's going on on Earth with Sontarans and whatever TBH... Grand Serpent is probably going to get mashed up trying to jump to the next universe, or get killed by Sontarans or something. Maybe he'll get pushed through the Nasty Door in the tunnels. Or maybe he'll end up in the Tree Tardis and destroy it somehow, with the mythology angle.

Maybe everyone gets sent to Universe 2, but Universe 1 gets restored, they travel back to a bit after the start of it, and Bel/Vinder/Karvanista stay to look after the Doctor in Division? And Tecteun doesn't do all that awful stuff (alternatively, they accidentally drop timeless child through a hole and end up coming AFTER Tecteun picks her up), Dan gets back to Liverpool and lives happily ever after with that lassie. Yaz had something with the Angels making up a new house and sister for her in the time vortex bit maybe- that's the hook for the next special. I hope she hasn't been fobwatched or is somehow Bel/Vinder's kid.

I kind of hope Ruth comes back, but Jodie's already liable to be worthless this ep until the last 5 minutes, so it probably shouldn't happen.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 5, 2021

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

why is the episode riffing on itsself

why are hte cuts so bad

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

what the gently caress was that

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

i just assumed he managed to escape the flux and abandoned all his underlings, and hitched with the sontarans since they saw it coming.

Dongicus posted:

the doctor calling the snake guy cringe for doing genocides then she just genocides sontarans and lets everyone else die

see, her problem in episode 2 was that the general didn't kill ENOUGH of the sontarans

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

RTD's first episode. The Doctor opens the watch, walks to the Lungbarrow House, opens the door and... SUPRISE! Every companion from every audio drama, comic, mini, TV episode/serial, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party for the Doctor's 60th!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

because being alive... is better than the alternative!

absolutely inspiring. bravo

Good ep! Though it was a bit weird when they spent the loop where Nick killed the Daleks just lounging in the lobby instead of just going to the door in the basement.