Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
God drat it, in the last thread I posted about how embarrassing 'Last of the Time Lords' was to watch with non-fan family, but looking at Jerusalem's episode list I realised I'd mixed it up with 'The End of Time'. Easy mistake to make, as they're both overblown and bad season-enders I have no desire ever to watch again, but 'The End of Time' was an entire power of worse (despite having Timothy Dalton) and I wanted to correct the record for the sake of my nerd credentials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Marmaduke! posted:

Could still be the Master. My wife's been watching old Dr Who on Britbox this last year (I've already seen most of it so I'm halfwatching ) and we're just at Logopolis, so the Master being some deformed creature and setting off some scheme that starts deleting part of the universe would be somewhat fitting, I guess? Also all this time and all this Who and it wasn't until yesterday that I found out that this new series was starting. Not the worst episode but I'd have rather been rewatching Logopolis...
Every so often, I remember "Oh yeah, the Master destroyed a huge chunk of the entire universe almost as an aside, including Nyssa's home planet and everyone and everything she ever knew. Wonder if anything ever came of that?" Nope

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'The Two Doctors' reminds me of things like the TNG episode where Scotty turned up, where the older character was written in a different way from in their original appearances and seemed 'off' as a result. With 'Relics' it was because nobody involved in the writing worked on TOS and TNG had evolved into something stylistically different, but it's especially weird with 'The Two Doctors' because Robert Holmes actually wrote stories for Troughton!

It's kind of a mean-spirited, somewhat sadistic story as well, which is another way it differed from the Troughton era. Maybe that was the stylistic clash, like putting Dixon of Dock Green into The Professionals.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 11, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"I am Drathro, not-polystyrene giant robot overlord of Earth Ravioli with an obvious grille in his chest for the actor to look out of! Fear my terrifying wrist-swivelling action! No, wait, don't just walk away from me at a modest pace!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Narsham posted:

Drathro is crap, but the story makes it clear that he is supposed to be crap.

The whole story is self-consciously a sci-fi parody, not unlike Creature from the Pit, only more clearly executed. The pathetic and stupid robot is supposed to be so. I can only imagine Saward explaining the “Time Lords moved the Earth” premise to Holmes and Holmes sitting there thinking “the only way to sell this idea is a parody of awful sci-fi, because the idea is awful sci-fi.”
There's a veeeeery fine line between parodying awful sci-fi and being awful sci-fi. (Granted, I haven't watched 'Trial of a Timelord' since its original broadcast, because I thought it was poo poo.)

C-Bakes comic voice: "poo poo? poo poo?!?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Huh, the recon of 'Galaxy 4' is out tomorrow. Must get a co-
[sees prices online]
Okay, I can wait a bit longer for the Chumblies. Who pays £15-20 for a DVD any more? Well, apart from Peter Capaldi, presumably.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Vinylshadow posted:

The Abominable Snowmen is the next animated story
:toot:

It's a meaningful story for me, because it was the ongoing adventure when I was born. Yup, old fart here.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerusalem posted:

awful subplots, terrible characters, baffling decisions, nonsensical plotpoints, and at times pointless cruelty
To me, this is Classic Who from 'The Twin Dilemma' onwards. (Just add 'dreadful music' and 'garish lighting'.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
PTCHWEEOOOO!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Whenever anyone writes "Division" my brain autocorrects it to "Davison". Which since I haven't seen Flux yet is making the descriptions of it even more confusing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerusalem posted:

Apparently the hiring and firing culture at the BBC back in those days was pretty intense, here is rare security camera footage of Peter Davison showing up to his trailer and finding out his time as the Doctor was ending:

It puts a whole new twist on Capaldi's "Why this face?" atonement routine. "Why this face?" wonders Six. "Oh, because it's the face of a complete rear end in a top hat."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just rewatched 'The Ark In Space', and drat, the sheer understated horror of the whole thing is amazing for 1975 family viewing. Yep, the few survivors of a global catastrophe have been impregnated with alien eggs and are being eaten and dissolved from the inside out and turned into monsters while still retaining tortured glimmers of their original personalities, no biggie for Saturday dinnertime.

(Memory is a truly malleable thing. As a kid, my memory of the reveal of Noah's mutated hand is way more disturbing than what was actually there. I remember crusted lobster-like plates, weird long hairs, and boils and blisters. What's actually there is just green bubblewrap. But... I want my version still to be there, so it kind of is.)

On the one hand, I'd quite like the Wirrn to come back as they're one of the few classic monsters who haven't returned that probably a lot could be done with. On the other, they'd likely be watered down, wackified and ruined like the Zygons, so maybe not.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Decided to do a T-Bakes rewatch, which brought me to 'The Sontaran Experiment', which I hadn't seen in years. Considering it was written by Bob Baker and Dave Martin, who gained a reputation for goofiness with stories like 'The Invisible Enemy' and 'Nightmare of Eden', I'd forgotten that this is pretty drat brutal and sadistic. It's not a huge body count, but everyone who dies does so horribly and in terror.

The weird thing about the Sontarans is that every time they came back, the masks got worse. There's a documentary on the DVD with all their classic-series appearances, and while Styre looked like a cancerous bollock compared to Linx, he was 100% convincing as an extraterrestrial compared to Storr or the talking turds from 'The Two Doctors'.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

I’ll never understand why JNT didn’t just hire an American actress. There’s loads living in the UK, working, going through RADA, etc.
At the time, Equity (the actors' union) had pretty strict rules and quotas regarding hiring foreign actors before British ones, even to play characters of the same foreign nationality. It's why half the Colonial Marines in Aliens are played by Brits, or Americans who'd been UK-resident for long enough to get their Equity cards.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
After Turkish Star Wars, Turkish Doctor Who was inevitable.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dabir posted:

The top of the BBC, and especially in their news division, are stuffed full of Tories. They were so biased against Corbyn's Labour, it was insane.
Yeah, the upper echelons of BBC News are dominated by Tory appointees and people who were openly involved in the party (Nick Robinson, formerly the chief political editor, was the head of the Young Conservatives), or after leaving go through the revolving door to work at Tory HQ. And yet there are still people who insist the BBC is full of Marxists and demand it be purged and made even more right-wing. It's insane.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TinTower posted:

And, of course, you know, the time Jimmy Savile came to town and Colin suddenly became very protective of the little lad who had it fixed for him.
I watched the documentary on 'The Sontaran Experiment' and the part about 'A Fix With Sontarans' ends with Colin looking knowingly into camera and saying something like "Jimmy Savile - more scary than any monster." Since the DVD was released before Savile died and the truth about him came out, it turns from a quip into :stare:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Why would the Daleks need a specific reason to kill the Doctor? Wouldn't "YOU ARE THE DOC-TORRRRR!" be enough?