Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You’ve redecorated!

I don’t like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New thread? Perfect time for the....

:siren: THE 2021 DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA! :siren:

Yes, it’s that time of the year again! I'm launching it a bit earlier this year because postal systems are already announcing they're going to be incredibly overloaded, so here's some extra time to beat the rush!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into a hat, you receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of DOCTOR WHO goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze (postage allowing), and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No, really.

SIGNING UP:

1) First thing, sign up here: https://forms.gle/rG2pT2UAxy9MuJb77

If you find you are having problems, email me at doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com
In the subject line, please include the tag [DWSS].

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINES: The deadline for sign-ups is Monday November 8th! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments will go out shortly thereafter.

Try to have your gift mailed out by Friday December 10th

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£20-25) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) WORK ADDRESSES: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

6) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you can agree to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

7) SHIPPING DEADLINES:

Royal Mail last posting days: https://www.royalmail.com/christmas/last-posting-dates

USPS Holiday deadlines: https://www.usps.com/holiday/holiday-shipping-dates.htm/

8) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! Take pictures! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies your Santa brought you.

9) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by Friday December 10th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

10) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat Santa.

11) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I really hope we’re done with bullshit vague prophecies though. Both RTD and Moffat went to that well too many times.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"We've got a chance to save the world" which turned to be about lentils...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmvVEvM3gbw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I... didn't hate that? But I think that's because there were so many threads running simultaneously, it felt like 4 different episodes playing at once.

The Division stuff again smacks of the Celestial Intervention Agency, which I assume ultra-spod Chibnall will mention at some point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I'm not even very clear on why they were chasing that one dog in the first place when there were seven billion of them with the same destination and purpose

Yeah, the ep kinda glossed over that when they revealed he was a Very Good Boy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

How the series will operate from a production standpoint when RTD comes in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The BBC would still completely own Doctor Who however. They’re not giving that up at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Whoa, so wait, are we in for a year+ minimum hiatus before new who again after flux?

sadly in my head for some reason i thought that basically once flux had aired they would be starting on the next one.

Flux will air this year, thern there's 3 specials next year, including Jodie's finale (including the regeneration, presumably).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Garvey posted:

Does the new year's day episode count as one of the 3 specials?

Looks like it, yes. I bet we get Christmas Day episodes again when RTD comes in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, it’s that time of the year again! I'm launching it a bit earlier this year because postal systems are already announcing they're going to be incredibly overloaded, so here's some extra time to beat the rush!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into a hat, you receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of DOCTOR WHO goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze (postage allowing), and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No, really.

SIGNING UP:

If you find you are having problems, email me at doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINES: The deadline for sign-ups is Monday November 8th! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments will go out shortly thereafter.

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£20-25) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) WORK ADDRESSES: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

6) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you can agree to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

7) SHIPPING DEADLINES:

Royal Mail last posting days: https://www.royalmail.com/christmas/last-posting-dates

USPS Holiday deadlines: https://www.usps.com/holiday/holiday-shipping-dates.htm/

8) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! Take pictures! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies your Santa brought you.

9) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by Friday December 10th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

10) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat Santa.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m closing sign ups for the Secret Santa tonight (8am GMT 10th November), so this is your last chance to join in the festivities! :toot:

The_Doctor posted:

SIGNING UP:

7) SHIPPING DEADLINES:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1458804224058441735

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, it’s just bobbling along on ‘alright’ but it’s starting to creak a little, threatening to unravel a lot. We’re already at the halfway point, and things should start being answered.

I do vaguely like the idea of a pre-history war between Time and Space, it’s quite a hard sci-fi concept that borders on the headache-inducing when you start to think about it. Unfortunately it’s got Chibnall behind it, so I have no confidence in actually drawing any decent or exciting story out of it. The dialogue itself seemed unclear about who was fighting what side and for what cause.

One thing I did note was the cinematography about the Mysterious Woman. The camera was super tight around her and the Doctor, not giving any hint of what was surrounding them. I’m assuming it’s deliberate so as not to give the game away about something (or maybe I’m over-thinking it).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

But no-one escaped capture and was then subsequently recaptured? :confused:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I thought it was interesting at the time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

gschmidl posted:

Someone mentioned the weird b&w house in episode 2 earlier in the thread - could that be Lungbarrow?

If it is, that would be truly amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Finally watched the latest ep, it was good?‽!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/the_beasthouse/status/1464750303421648897

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Christ, what a mess. And they were doing so well last week.

EDIT: I was watching with my housemate who's not seen any Who since Capaldi. He said it was 'extremely boring to watch'.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 30, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So, the whole UNIT thing was a deliberate mess, right?

Previously, UNIT wasn't formed until after the events of Web of Fear, but this episode proposes it happened 10? years earlier with a young Corporal Lethbridge-Stewart in the ranks (also, it's pretty impossible to go from corporal to colonel in less than 10 years, if at all; corporal being a soldier rank rather than an officer rank). :psyduck:

Why you do this, Chibnall?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Black Orchid

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Prediction: the watch opens and it doesn’t go into the Doctor, because she’s not the Timeless Child.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The Timeless Child is Dan.

I was actually thinking that as a maybe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dreamscaperers!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So the Sontarans pretended to be humanity saviours for like, 20 seconds? Then instantly that pretence is gone in the next announcement?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like a lot is being forgotten here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I don’t feel in any way satisfied by that as an ending.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So what exactly was it that Yaz, Dan, and Jericho spent 3-4 years searching for exactly?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Grand Serpent interrogation scene was the highlight for me! Where’s that Doctor been hiding since 2018?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Doctor being Time’s Champion is some New Adventures gubbins.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

One little touch I did like, the Grand Serpent had absolutely no idea who Vinder was.

Oh, I thought that was because it was happening out of order for him, like he hadn’t met Vinder yet.

Honestly, I didn’t really get the Grand Serpent. When we see Vinder’s fall, he’s someone very important politically, head of a lot of stuff, requires protection, and then we find out he’s a bit of a bastard too. Then he’s suddenly back in the past of UNIT, helping to form it, but having to act alone? It didn’t really all mesh together who exactly he was.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So if the Lupari are all soul bonded to an individual human, where were all the others grabbing their human like Karvanista was doing Dan?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

When I get a PS5, Deathloop will be my first game, it looks so much fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:smith:

https://twitter.com/dwpages/status/1469008313643843590

https://twitter.com/dwcoverstory/status/1469068813933191174

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So Swarm was imprisoned on a planetoid for all time, but his sister who is just as bad was put into a human body because ????

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TinTower posted:

Except for Ricky the Idiot and Captain Jack, who get trapped in a time eddy. Again.

Pickled in time!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ll never understand why JNT didn’t just hire an American actress. There’s loads living in the UK, working, going through RADA, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I had most of the K-1 BAF, but I never found Magnus Greel. Glad he’s getting another outing.