Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lotta Whovies itt gonna have egg on their face this weekend when flux becomes one of their all time fav stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Class3KillStorm posted:

I would love for this statement to be true.

The history of Chibnall's writing on "Doctor Who" - let alone his showrunning - tells me it won't be.

practice runs, surely! now he's got those out of the way and knows what everyone hates about it and has perfectly corrected it and found a clever way to reframe all the weird flaws, it'll be great. there's nothing anyone can say to prove me wrong for several days.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also the Doctor should avoid the US over what they did to the Native Americans, if I'm being perfectly honest

Gonna run out of places on Earth to visit if that becomes the standard and it'd be insanely weird to bang on about considering it's a british show and most earth adventures happen in the UK, the empire so lovely, half the world have holidays celebrating just not being part of it anymore. I think I'd also UK to account for at least some percentage of the atrocities colonists inflicted upon native americans in the part that became the USA. Not to mention all the other brutal euro countries that came over to gently caress people up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Oh good, chibnal has gone back to the "the doctor has important things in her past that she doesnt remember" well.

still watching the episode, stalling before spoilers, but, what is the memory capacity of a human/timelord brain of the mass the brains are? Memories seem to be highly compressible or mutable, and are wildly unreliably in terms of recording the actual physical facts or reality of anything it remembers or perceives, so I don't know if that means it needs more or less space to do whatever it is doing. Point is, it's hard to believe the Doctorses could physically remember their lifetimes, let alone including any other Doctors' life. As a plot device that one seems totally fair to overuse along with "hey name, remember crazy event at outlandish place in whatever time that demonstrates character quirk and the fun we had together?"

edit: okay, i mean, alright. i think the stakes are too high off the bat in a way that you know, like, it'll be undone someway (alternately: it's all cool on the other side of the flux) but whatever, the degree of the stakes aren't actually that important. I loved the idea of dog people on a mission to rescue their chosen humans and honestly I like the dogman than i've ever liked whatever kind of dog he is, i hope he sticks around as a recurring guest-companion.

the glitter skull villains i liked more than i would think if i just heard them described.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 1, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, I already accept there's countless adventures between what we ever see on the television show, or even adding in all the other media. I'm fine with the conceit that DW has existed for more lifetimes than the ones we've met, I just didn't like the whole, "evil unethical science via child torture prompts time-travel" part of things.

One downside is that every time there is a character I don't know, I am wondering if that is a past Doctor or maybe forgotten doctor companion secretly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think Hartnell being the first one to be The Doctor, to choose that name and make the first rough efforts to be better than they were before, keeps the past lives while also preserving our precious Doctors. Maybe the person currently known as the Doctor was also once the Valeyard :p

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
there are like ten oak streets in your town alone and there are millions of space stations named rose

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

But when Davies’ tenure begins in 2023, he will instead work with Bad Wolf Studios to make the show

Whoa, so wait, are we in for a year+ minimum hiatus before new who again after flux?

sadly in my head for some reason i thought that basically once flux had aired they would be starting on the next one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm kind of assuming the next few episodes will each explore one of the mystery questions set-up and then a finale that brings them altogether and ties or unties a knot wrt to the Timeless Child and/or Timeless Childses

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha i just rewound an old episode because I was confused where tf rory and amy came from, and the doctor just teleported rory, amy, rory dad, and the ladder onto the ship without warning in transit to today's adventure.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Chibnall wants to be remembered for revamping the tardis exterior, give it a spoiler and some sick flames. scratch off that police poo poo since ACAB

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OgNar posted:

I did enjoy the whole Mary Seacole thing from this episode.

That was a good way to invoke history! The Doctor didn't have to oppress her or do anything horrible to preserve history. I hadn't heard of Mary Seacole before the episode but I paused and looked her up and I think that's good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tend to also think it's a matter of disordered time vs arrow of time, with these people basically being the ancient greek myth weavers who like spun thread of everyone's fate in history or whatever to organize reality. Actually I just looked up the name because I kept thinking it was the muses who did that but they're the art bosses, and they're literally called the Moirai / The Fates, so I feel dumb for not just recognizing that outright.

The Doctor remembers the birth of the universe. I wonder if they had their memory scrubbed of the birth of the time while retaining memories of the birth of the universe, or maybe that happens before or in a way not comprehensible on a TARDIS trip to observe.

Speaking of observation, I can't think of any other beings who kind of function with the same quantum-observation theme besides weeping angelsI wonder if perhaps their nature as quantum-observers or... observees will tie into the threads of fate here, maybe the rando human they time-jacked will function as the time-observer or something timey wimey to help seal or re-organize the universe with an arrow of time restored.

edit: bad unsupported theory: the doctor used to be one of the sugar hill crystal gang and rebelled against the chaos style

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 10, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's so on the nose you wouldn't even think to google it. i was like "i don't know how to spell these names and I'm pretty sure they're made up for Flux"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol i mean i dont know how to speak alien or greek and im from texas so i say "more-eye" but my "eye" is kind of an "ahh"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i hope you're wrong but i might bet money you're right. the doctor being from Time and on this Council of Time Managers and the Timelords just doing Romans copying their fanfic idea of hellenistic greece

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what episode was he talking about?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
im loving that proto cyberman. ive always kind of written them off for being so rude and lame, but idk, seeing a person under there seemingly opting in to presumably "improve" himself is cool and making me curious about their origins and how the final cybermen would be perceived by these early pioneers of cybermanning.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Doctor doesn't have any living kids do they? I remember that one cool kid but they found some reason to off her almost immediately.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

His granddaughter Susan is - as far as on-screen television episodes go - still alive and well. He left her on an alternate future Earth that was recovering from a Dalek Invasion because she fell in love with a man she met there, and she was scooped out of time and later returned there by a Time Lord called Borusa in The Five Doctors as part of his quest to use all 5 of the Doctor's regenerations (note how there were only 5, not millions) up to that current time to infiltrate the tomb of Rassilon so he could discover the secret to immortality/ The secret turned out to be becoming a paving stone, a fate so horrendous that the 10th Doctor would eventually "reward" some poor woman by doing the same to her in Love & Monsters.

If you throw Big Finish audio stories into the mix, at least as far as the ones I've heard she continued to live on the alternate future Earth, had a kid (who died? I don't precisely recall, just that I didn't particularly like the story) and the last I heard the 8th Doctor was doing everything he could to distract her from learning about the Time War and being press-ganged into fighting in it.

Jenny, the character from The Doctor's Daughter, is an accelerated growth clone built from the Doctor's genetic material, and her regenerative capabilities appeared to consist of bringing her back to life as she was as opposed to a full regeneration.

Well gee, I really think The Doctor should check in more often with her! Also, does that mean there's still a lot of room to explore the Doctor's child who produced the grandchild? I want to criticize The Doctor here for being a bad family member, but I can't with this log in my eye and two recent nephews I've yet to see.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well whatever theories I had about the storyline are out the window now :shrug:

Yeah except I also have no loving clue what happened in this episode. Lots of the Doctor shouting, jumping around random people, and I dthink uhhh... space maybe messed up or is rude and time like keeps it together errr or ? No, really, have no loving clue what's supposed to be going on, things made more sense when I was filling in my own gaps.

SiKboy posted:

I still think Ruth!Doc being a pre-hartnell incarnation of the doctor is an incredibly bad idea, and, like all the timeless child stuff, reeks of someone being absolutely desperate to leave a permenant mark on the show without having the skill to do it by writing something good enough that future writers will call back to it. RTD resurrected the show. Moffat created the Weeping Angels. Chibnell... retconned things from before he was actually born.

I think it's a good concept, just executed horribly. Like, I don't really buy Hartnell as the first Doctor, or at least, not the first person to use the chain of bodies known as The Doctor. I think they reference too many things that don't make sense for Hartnell or any other Doctor to do. Like his dead family! That's all poo poo I see happening to a Doctor we never saw. Otherwise the Doctor seriously never visits, mentions, brings up his kids, his spouse, idk there's a lot of nutso things that I accept easier assuming it was some non-show Doctor who had the time to do anything besides cause a ruckus in adventures constantly.

This big event seems like another cool idea unfortunately executed Chibnally. The moirai poo poo we were talking about last episode, threads of fate, time management, quantum locking, all that poo poo sounds like solid Doctor Who lore to work from. Instead it's now uhhh floating cgi particle effects that eat time?

He even hosed up what could have been an iconic Who moment, an Angel piloting the Tardis, but they messed that up somehow in only a few seconds of screentime, which is impressive in it's own way.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I want to slightly complain about the handling of the weeping angels. Chibnall thinks that it's just "don't blink" and that is what keeps them at bay. Wasn't it if you take your eyes off of them they can move? Because twice now, the camera in a pov (or over the shoulder) moves behind objects and breaks the line of sight from the Angel and it just stands there with its eyes covered (once with a lightpost/utility pole and once in the TARDIS with the big gem column). That slightly kills me each time it happens. I might have to go back and check, but did Yaz also just look away and back again and it was fine? There's no "you knew me at my best sir" moment here because just don't blink I guess.

Maybe I'm just being nit-picky!

Doctor should install some security cameras in the Tardis. Like, for all of the obvious practical reasons, plus all of the reasons when it would help when something screwy is going on, but poo poo, just do it for the anti-angel countermeasure. Bonus points if the cam isn't wired into main tardis power so no fluctuating, plus they're night vision equipped.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 15, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
with enough universal resets allowing for enough infinite time, presumably all characters are a previous Doctor. They just never make the show about the Doctor who decided to make a living working at an honest job.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

Please god don't let Bel and Vinder's child turn out to be the Doctor.

Any decent writer would have stopped themselves doing that, and yet I feel like it's going to happen anyhow, strangely enough.

who the gently caress are bel and vinder. i might have to rewatch the last episode before the next because really, no clue who they are or why they're important or are characters at all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

gschmidl posted:

The angels have always been loving garbage. You can blink with one eye at a time, for gently caress's sake.

e: as pointed out more eloquently above.

Angel's worst nightmare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3yhEZX93s

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They aren't going to use the Angels as some kind of quantum-observation thing, are they? Just a lame monster?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't like imagining the doctor pissing and making GBS threads. I previously kind of assumed the tardis vortex took care of that or something else timelordy. The fact it shits and pisses means there's certainly a plot or alien or something out in the universe that'll have to revolve around the doctor's expulsions. Someone out there making time grenades out of timelord piss and poo poo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've tried watching episode 3 four times now but it keeps rolling off my brain at some point. Harder and harder to try with what comes next not sounding much better.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TinTower posted:

"Dan, are you from Liverpool? Why did you never tell us?"

I think I missed the joke or something, I'm assuming commentary about Liverpooligans? I don't know anything about Liverpool besides the kind of disgusting imagery in the name.

I kind of don't get the point of making the Doctor be some kid some evil jerk just kidnapped and exploited. I was hoping at least The Doctor would've turned out to be in charge of the Division and it was all some incredibly timey wimey convoluted plot of The Doctor orchestrating their own... something, like, whatever they want the point of all this to be or however they reset it.

At first I was excited about the other universes, being between em and such.... but kind of what's the point? Do they got different fundamental physics or rules or something... is mirror style, something wilder, because if not, with how big the universe is how they could write endless new species and stories and places.... when's another universe ever going to be of relevance? it's just more wherever. They could even say the Doctor hadn't been to some chunk of the universe or it was hidden, whatever, functionally doesn't seem that meaningful. Timeline also really confusing, Docs been to the end of the universe, like, wasn't there even some late-late-late stage stuff "after" the end of the universe, when it's just cold iron stars and weird poo poo happening to leftover matter?

Where's Rose and humaner 11 I wonder. They in this new popular universe or some other one they ain't messing with? Oh I guess not since they're definitely trying to make a no-doctors-allowed kind of universe clubhouse.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Christ, what a mess. And they were doing so well last week.

EDIT: I was watching with my housemate who's not seen any Who since Capaldi. He said it was 'extremely boring to watch'.

That's a good one word criticism. A good Who episode is basically tiny movie, you feel some emotional swings, some things resolved, greater mystery hinted at, maybe they said or did something really clever and charismatic. Flux is like Hello, hello, hello ---> ????????????????????????
---> ????????????????????????????????????????-----> stay tuned for more ???? until the finale I guess.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I haven't seen ep 5 yet, but the Professor from Village of Angels is a great example of introducing an episode character and making you give an actual poo poo about them

Dude was basically STARE BEAM ACTIVATE the entire ep and was wholly rational about it.

Yeah I liked that guy, wasn't crazy about some of the episode/lore details but like that was the closest to a proper doctor who adventure so far. They also managed to make me okay with dusting the stubborn couple that just don't think they should ever listen to anyone yelling at them in a panic lol.

And I knew Dan was from Liverpool, but being from Texas, the big part of USA, the capital country of the Earth-- I guess I didn't think anything of someone mentioning where they were from as unusual.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's the lowest stakes Doctor Who adventure written yet? Like any time the doctor just wanted to make a simple sandwhich and ends up running around the galaxy doing who knows what, ultimately giving the big speech just to get the Fridge AI to open up so he could grab some turkey.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well, and all the people who die.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Man, real jazzed to find out there's a rob zombie Munsters in production. Who is Igor though? If that text didn't name him as Igor I would've thought he was playing Grandpa with subdued naturalistic hair.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah surprising... but good? Munsters given a House of 1000 Corpses treatment would not be cool

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

I haven't thought about The Girl Who Waited in a long time but the ending always bugged me. They set it up as some big moral, difficult decision for Rory. Does he pick to save Old Amy, someone he doesn't even really know anymore who resents them for not saving her sooner or Young Amy who by being picked means Old Amy never has any of that happen to her?

It basically means Old Amy is killed, destroyed. It's kind of scarier way to die than usual. Old Amy is a real person with a whole life they're erasing from history, but it all still happened to her, she doesn't really get to un-have-existed, she was feeling and experiencing it all in real time whether it later gets timey wimey'd away or not. Killing someone should always be a moral dilemma, functionally the nature of her death here of being erased from existence in a way is either equal to or worse than death, not at all some salve to make the decision easier.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wow i have literally no idea what i just saw or what happened.

okay so flux solved by stuffing it into a bag of holding. okay, whatever literally nobody cared about the flux at any point or thought it would ever mean or do anything.

i did miss if the universe went back to regular or not?

whats the snake pervert about, what's the point of him?

the crystal guy just killed himself and lady candy for failing, or is that guy a copy odf him, why were they the same?

who was the doctor the doctor was talking to and warning her of impending death and master appearance?

what was the point of bel and vinder? are the dogmen still basically extinct along with cybermen and daleks or was that undone?

whats the deal with the watches? what happened with tecteun or the division or whatever?

did nobody on earth ever notice the universe was being destroyed or taken over?

why didn't that lady want to go on a date with dan i guess they had planned at some point? what happened to her arm?

what were the angels involved for and did they get any resolution i missed?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I basically have every question here, too. (Except the one about the woman’s arm. That’s obviously the actress’s arm and who cares?)

It wasn't, that's why I asked, a character I cannot name who, if she hasn't had an arm previously, I didn't notice or see it, and if I did, it's a TV show I won't assume everything I see on a character is part of the human being (what happened to Swarm's actors face? Why is his skin purple and glittery and covered in crystals???) --and she's acting cagey about some experience with Dan or the adventure and the main thing about her I remember is having a really good idea at some point in one of many unclear settings and circumstances. I was asking about the character in context of the show, which featured people turning into angels and infinite energy whatever the hells and portals and fluxes and god knows what else that I could've missed. Turned out to be nothing, that's fine.

Jerusalem posted:

many answer

Well, there is stuff I just missed but a lot just left unresolved and a lot of that unresolved stuff kind of feels like stuff we'd be lucky to just have skipped over with next folks. I think I'm alright with Time being some kind of entity I guess, honestly that chafes me less than a planet Time for some reason. That does just beget a billion questions though. First, where's the domain for this entity, all universes, just this one, perhaps a certain radius? Second... is Time the Timeless Child's mom or otherwise related to The Doctor? As for the ominous warning, I wonder if Time was being "cosmic being perspective" about The Doctor's end. AFAIK we got up to Doctor 26 before they needed to petition for more bonus lives, right? To a being like Time, reckon that could feel extremely soon.

I hope Bel and Vinder show up again whether they have some bigger connection to doc or not. I get why the main companions are always from Earth, but I always like when we get some folks in the party who live in the broader or older universe.

Narsham posted:

many answer

I kind of have to assume you're right and that Time will have reversulated everything, just seems like there's not really anywhere to go if everything is just gone. Hard to do a show about going everywhere anytime when there's nothing. I did look up chameleon arch and I do remember these devices, and I feel like he was setting up something for him to unpack rather than to leave for the hand-off.

One thing I did notice since it's come up a few times as something ignored later in the show (and probably also explicitly referenced already but my brain is full of holes):

quote:

There was an account suggesting that the Seventh Doctor, prior to his regeneration into his eighth incarnation, made use of a broken Arch to create the fiction that he was half-human to use against the Master. (COMIC: The Forgotten, TV: Doctor Who)

Not a bad way to reframe it.

I will say that even though I'd be happy to skip the cruel time travel origin stuff, I also really do want to see 13 crack that thing open and huff some memories and see what the hell is up. Wonder if he'll save it for the final special because he has to to either figure it out himself or set up other stuff first.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I'm not really sure what they can do about it. Ijust assume that everyone who died, died.

It's not that different from Logopolis tbh.

This basically leaves them with one planet in the entire universe, and realistically, that planet would be turbofucked by the debris from the rest of the dead universe or whatever refugees are left in it.

I mean, I guess Chib could really want to play around with dead-universe but the previews indicate everything's probably normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's the issue, Timelords can survive 3000ft falls. What more do you need, they're a tough species. Remember when the master was hopping around with jumps like that just to pounce on people to eat?