Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

That felt like one of the less comprehensible episodes of Lexx. Like, strong 90s scifi series vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Please god don't let Bel and Vinder's child turn out to be the Doctor.

Any decent writer would have stopped themselves doing that, and yet I feel like it's going to happen anyhow, strangely enough.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

It made me look up the character and discover an absolutely fascinating historical figure, so I really like it...Sydney would be so happy the show is fulfilling one of its original purposes! :3:

This is one of those voiceover parody things from a British quiz show or something right, a comedian putting ludicrous lines over stock footage of an MP right? There's no way this is an actual real thing that a real politician really said, right? RIGHT!?! :psypop:

https://twitter.com/MaxCCurtis/status/1463900800795750402

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

shades of eternity posted:

Chibnell landed about as well as expected, maybe a little better, but it wasn't great.

At least the Master didn't show up again on Ether.

I mean, honestly I've enjoyed the whole six parter, and I enjoyed the finale. This might be because I've been expecting the ending to be terrible, and it merely turned out to be slightly rushed and incoherent, but entertaining.

I'll take entertaining at this point.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Sounds kind of fun, I like that origin for the Doctor more than some I've heard lately.

It's also an excuse to listen to David Warner, which is never a chore

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedWho/status/1472948463625293831?t=h0yJTDrUCuwV5K4cfJNVHg&s=19

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Is it accountable to the government? I clearly have no idea how it actually works.

Someone will probably explain it better than me, but they're essentially a public service. They have a charter to run TV and radio channels for every demographic of the UK; they're supposed to cater to everyone; they should be informative and entertaining to all walks of life, rather than just churning out the same thing that'd appeal to a specific group of people.

And because they have this 'public service' aspect, they're allowed to effectively level a tax on the nation; you're required to have a TV licence to even use a television in your home, and the money that makes is a good chunk of what keeps them running (along with sales from things like DVDs and merch). This is why Brits will moan about 'I pay my licence fee for this poo poo?' and so on.

It used to be that a certain percentage of what they show has to be made in-house too, rather than just filling airtime with syndicated shows from the US. I don't know if that's still a rule, or just a guideline.

In return as well, this means BBC channels don't endorse products or make money from advertising; there's no ad breaks (other than to tell you what BBC shows are coming up later), and they go to great lengths to not have any product placement in their shows, replacing popular brands with generic products, or the brand will be removed - so people in Eastenders might be eating cornflakes, but it won't say 'Kelloggs' on the box.

The closest US analog would be PBS; TV broadcast to be entertaining and educational, not for-profit, but there's none of the fundraising stuff or telethons to keep themselves on the air.

e: So in terms of the government, they're not a state channel or anything, but they require the goodwill of the party in power to keep operating; if they were too outspoken about the Tories, for instance, you start getting rumblings about how they should be privatized or done away with. Effectively, they're supposed to be politically impartial, though that's not always been the case in recent years.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 23, 2021

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Dabir posted:

The top of the BBC, and especially in their news division, are stuffed full of Tories. They were so biased against Corbyn's Labour, it was insane.

LividLiquid posted:

Thanks for the write-up. Some I knew, but I learned some new bits. But as for this one part, I will never understand how people think not being political is a real thing that's A.) desirable or B.) literally possible, but more likely it's all window dressing to conceal their actual hegemonic political stance of "old things good and therefore not political, new, confusing things bad and therefore political."

Calling me a rapist by platforming an actual, literal cis rapist is an apolitical act, evidently.

No disagreement here on either count. In terms of being apolitical, that's what the BBC supposedly strives toward, and it might have even managed that at some point, but not in my lifetime. And the last few years have been even worse.

Mind, they weren't alone on the Corbyn thing, the entire British media seemed to have their knives out for him from day one.

At least Laura Kuenssberg is leaving, she's been the biggest Tory cheerleader in the BBC. Although I dread to think what we'll get in her place.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The version with the animated scenes released as a movie a few years ago was fun. Even came with all the extras if you bought it on iTunes instead of on disc.

The Paul McGann Big Finish version with Lalla Ward is pretty good, too - I think this might have been webisodes with animations at first, but it works well as straight audio too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

If you weren't impressed with 'Eve of the Daleks', bear in mind it's actually a prequel story to Jon Pertwee's 'Day of the Daleks', and it makes a lot more sense if you watch that first