Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It'll just get dropped and instantly forgotten, like the fact that the Doctor is half-human (on his mother's side).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Confusedslight posted:

Did that ever get brought up by big finish? Feel like it is something I would remember....

It did weirdly get brought up by Moffat in Hell Bent! (In a troll-y way, not a serious one.)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

It really, genuinely does bother me that the show would ever try and take that away. Not just because William Hartnell was the first actor, obviously, or that it reeks of a writer desperately trying to stamp their personal mark on the show forever (which will of course be discarded by the next writer regardless, have comic books taught these people nothing!?!), but because the 1st Doctor was an rear end in a top hat when he first appeared. I think it's gigantically important that the Doctor learned to be a better, more "human" person because unlike his people he exposed himself to outside ideas and philosophies, and he grew as a person thanks to his personal experiences with human beings and other "lesser" species and came to reject supremacism and prejudice and eventually become somebody who fought with everything they had to protect people and reject cruelty and malice.

Turning that into,"There were a million billion Doctors before Hartnell and they were all naturally committed idealists!" is just... ugh. UGH!

Yeah, this is the big thing. You could easily rationalize the Doctor having several lives or even a whole regeneration cycle pre-Hartnell, but that person can't be The Doctor. They're just Factory Worker Narness or Civil Servant Halumphoid or whoever. I do think there's hay to be made about just why the Doctor left Gallifrey in the first place (what exactly went down with the Hand of Omega?) but that either has to be a Hartnell or immediately pre-Hartnell Doctor, it can't be Jo Martin (though they should just make her the next Doctor).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

sound like the kind of silly names you'd get in cheap Syfy-level television shows (and no, Doctor Who is NOT at that level :mad:),

Well, not on the visual level. Writing, though?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SiKboy posted:

"the image of an angel becomes an angel" which is an ambigious statement that is poorly defined at best (what if you copy a video cassette that has a recording of an angel on it? If you had access to a DVD pressing factory could you run off a couple of million angels? what if you streamed an angel on twitch?),

Now a drawing of an angel counts as an image of an angel (how good does the drawing have to be? what about a stick figure? Or someone representing an angel with emoji?).

Counterpoint: this sort of thing is far more interesting and thought-provoking than sending people back in time and this is what Angel stories should be about. Hell yeah I want somebody streaming an Angel on twitch, what happens then?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

after skimming the last couple pages, I'm glad I haven't watched the new season

:hfive:

Speaking of timeloops, which may or may not have been in this series, may I recommend playing Deathloop, a fun game not written by Chris Chibnall? And if that's not up your alley, how about The Ambassadors of Death, which remains a very good serial and has excellent cliffhangers that the series should have learned from?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean the basic idea that the Doctor has past selves she doesn't know about or what they did and might run into them at any time, I still like. It just hasn't led to much of anything, it doesn't actually add a lot of mystery since we know the outline of what her past on Gallifrey was (did a bunch of ethically questionable poo poo for The Division, eventually got sick of it, but also got mind wiped) and any details are going to be tricky because how unethical do you want the past Doctors to be?

Like there are other issues with this making the Doctor too special and messianic, but I feel like you could overcome that if the results were fun enough, and while Jo Martin's Doctor is neat, the rest has just been a lot of clumsy exposition.

The primary issue with this, I think, is that the Doctor becomes the Doctor over the course of the first few serials. I'm not averse to pre-Hartnell incarnations, but by definition they'd have to be fundamentally different from the character we know as the Doctor. They'd just be some stick in the mud bureaucrat who spent all their time on Gallifrey.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

jisforjosh posted:

It's been 3 days since I saw the finale. If you told me to describe what happened in this episode accurately in 300 words with a gun to my head I would die.

I dunno, I think I got the gist of it just from reading this thread.

quote:

The Division’s plan to use the Flux to freeze the universe in time is well underway. The Doctor is isolated from her companions, Yaz and a dog-man. The dog-man bargains with a rogue agent of the Division while Yaz fiddles with a contraption instead of having lines.

Sontaran bungling leads to the Angels finding the Doctor. They don’t want to live in a universe frozen in time because it makes it hard to eat, so they zap her back in time to before the Division’s plan went into effect. She finds the scientists who engineered the Flux, two people in Power Rangers costumes. They have been forced into creating the Flux by the teeth guy from 13’s first series. While the universe is frozen, he will infect all the teeth in the universe with antimatter, which will grant him great power for some reason.

The Doctor decides that Tooth Guy taking over the universe would be bad, but stopping him would be equally bad so she lets his plan go ahead. As he’s about to push the button, however, an Angel comes in and trips him and the only teeth that turn into antimatter are his own, sucking him into a wormhole and destroying another 25% of the universe.

The remaining 75% is safe and everybody goes home. The Daleks might have been there at some point? In a post-credits scene, the Master has regenerated and is played by a Cambodian actor, and the Doctor has him hauled off by the Khmer Rouge.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Another one I forgot is when she says "sawr" for "saw". If she was established as being from the Northeast, like NYC or Boston, that might be excusable. But since Peri's supposed to be from Pasadena...eh, not so much. :v:

I seem to remember Peri saying "Don't let's fight!" at some point, which is about the most British you can get without coating your lips in Marmite. Of course, we let David Boreanaz pretend to be Irish for like seven years so don't let's throw shade.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

It's a leak from the New Years' special: Cyberwoman Part 2.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SecretOfSteel posted:

Did people like Shada? Is it worth all the attention?

I thoroughly enjoyed the novelization they put out several years ago, but unfortunately I checked and it was written by noted shithead Gareth Roberts, so I guess we hope that this version turns out well.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dabir posted:

We can at least say for sure that Chibnall hasn't approved anything as abominable as In the Forest of the Night, right?

The Doctor weaponized the Master's race and handed him over to the Nazis. Also, he continued employing known sex pest John Barrowman.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Updog Scully posted:

Predicting RTD will introduce a new foe: the CryptoMen - the Cybermen get into crypto and turn unsuspecting humans into NFTs.

Cyberman: We realized that our organs were too fungible, so we gradually replaced them with non-fungible ones until we became the beings you see before you.

Alternatively: Mondas is what happens when you right click → save image on Earth.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This one was fine, I guess. Some thoughts:

--having skipped this series and about half of the last one, I'm always delighted at how good the opening credits are and dismayed at how they're wasted on the show. The music remains solid, too.

--it's funny how they keeps trying to make the NYE episode A Thing, as if New Year's has the same kind of iconography attached to it as Christmas. Chibnall must be glad he's off the show as he's running out of New Year's puns to make.

--speaking of which, what makes this the Eve of the Daleks?

--Chibnall Who breaks new ground by having the couple killed off during the episode not be gay!

--Gatling gun Daleks are pretty silly, the Dalek design is already so solid that doing anything to make them more threatening doesn't really stick. There's a reason they've hardly ever changed in 60 years. A regular Dalek gun could take down a door in one blast instead of emptying clips into it!

--I dunno what the Flux is, but a Dalek accuses the Doctor of using the Flux to destroy the Daleks, to which she replies, "I didn't do that! The Sontarans did, I just aimed it!" Which sounds very much like the Doctor used the Flux to destroy the Daleks.

--the time loop concept feels kind of underbaked. It could basically just be a linear story. There's no events that happen at the same point in every loop like a New Year's firework going off prematurely or the electricity flickering out for a moment, giving the TARDIS crew cover of darkness for a moment.

--the Doctor getting shot over and over again kind of feels like a metaphor for her failing to act at all proactively. Her speech was fairly decent, though.

--Mandip Gill's role on the show has broadened from staring slightly slack-jawed at the Doctor to staring slightly longingly at the Doctor, which is an... improvement?

--did the TARDIS interior actually change? Was that the joke? It's all the same Himilayan salt crystals.

--three series in and the Doctor has finally discarded any reservations about killing a loving Dalek.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wolfechu posted:

If you weren't impressed with 'Eve of the Daleks', bear in mind it's actually a prequel story to Jon Pertwee's 'Day of the Daleks', and it makes a lot more sense if you watch that first

Really a highly underrated story. The Dalek parts themselves are pretty boring, which I think accounts for it being a pretty forgotten serial, but the overall plot with the Daleks traveling back in time from a future where they have conquered Earth is really good. Pertwee gets in some of his best angry zingers at the human bad guy, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

gschmidl posted:

I'm beginning to wish the BBC called Nation's estate's bluff about the mandatory Dalek thing because they would very quickly find out that nobody gives a gently caress outside of Doctor Who.

That was just a rumor, right? Series 10 didn't have any Daleks I'm pretty sure.