Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Confusedslight posted:

Did that ever get brought up by big finish? Feel like it is something I would remember....

No, but BF is run by fan conservatives these days.

It turns up a fair bit in the EDAs tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm sure there are stories that call back to previous ones as a hook that aren't terrible, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Curse of Fenric? Caves Of Androzani? (You can't tell me the third episode cliffhanger isn't a reference to Earthshock.) Rose's big speech to her mum in The Parting Of The Ways is play on her stuff from Rose too.

Or maybe I've misunderstood the meaning of "hook" in this case? In which case, maybe Genesis Of The Daleks counts.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BooDooBoo posted:

"The Division" is an interesting name, maybe it's actually talking about the Jo Doctor being split from the "real" Doctor?

Chibbers has been very explicit about the show not doing this, since it'd undermine the PoC casting to make her an alternative or a clone or whatever. It'd suggest the first black Doctor didn't, in some way, "count".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

radmonger posted:

I think the source of the complaint is more that (outside Blink) they are not horror movie villains, but high-concept sci if. Good horror movie villains always have a simple fixed set of rules. People who die are generally presented as idiots for not following them; that’s what makes their deaths enjoyable.

I think that your argument is trending towards No True Scotsman fallacy territory, but also: Alien, absolutely a horror film with a classic horror movie villain, and it doesn't fit the rules structure.

The concept of a horror villain who follows some set of rules is an invention of the 80's slasher film anyway, IIRC, codified by Friday the 13th films. You've got plenty of films before then, even including pseudo slashers like the original Black Christmas and Suspria, which don't have really have rules as we understand them, or books like Carrie, which base a lot of the logic behind the killings in psychology, while also acknowledging that there's a lot of random collateral death.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Isn't Lungbarrow that story with the nonsense about the Looms and the Other that they wisely chose to keep out of the actual television show?

It's the final story in that arc, yeah, but it's not the only story to draw from or develop that material. There was a reference to it in The Timeless Child IIRC.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Just to expand on the apparent contradiction between my post and my edit above too

One of the main reasons the timeless child stuff is dumb is that it seems to be trying to impose a canon and orthodoxy on the show. Doctor Who "canon" (a concept I loathe for fiction) is English Common Law - a messy historical tradition - and Chibnal seems to be trying to rewite it part of it as a civil code.

I'm not sure to how that's different to what Dicks, Holmes, or Moffat did in terms of retcon to Timelord society or the Doctor.

This is all approaching "What Has Happened To The Magic Of Doctor Who?" territory tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There haven't been any explanations because they haven't gotten to the character's episode yet, that's all IMO.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There is a decent story in Nekromanteia and it's The Caves Of Androzani.

I'm not kidding.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

So, the whole UNIT thing was a deliberate mess, right?

Previously, UNIT wasn't formed until after the events of Web of Fear, but this episode proposes it happened 10? years earlier with a young Corporal Lethbridge-Stewart in the ranks (also, it's pretty impossible to go from corporal to colonel in less than 10 years, if at all; corporal being a soldier rank rather than an officer rank). :psyduck:

Why you do this, Chibnall?

I assumed it was a function of The Flux changing the planet's history.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dabir posted:

Didn't RTD already do protecting the multiverse

It's also a huge loving 90's Who clichè. It's been done to loving death.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

They all showed up to do just that, but the Doctor asked them to instead form a shield around the planet rather than just collect a human each and ride out the Flux itself, and the Good Doggy agreed. Apparently he was either the leader or chosen spokesman for the race, since we never saw any of the others and they seemed to follow his orders without issue.

Except for that single one that died off screen for no reason.

Also apparently they didn't need to be in charge of their spaceships for them to work, so I'm not sure why that even happened. Or why none of them went down to the planet earth instead of spending the rest of the foreseeable future sitting in small metal cans as a part of a giant space net. Or why no one on earth really seemed to notice that there was a giant space wall between them and the rest of the universe. Or...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Infinitum posted:

So... like.. the bulk of the universe is dead to the fluxx and they're just leaving it like that?

Who are you referring to as "they" in this context?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Infinitum posted:

The Doctor + The Fam 2.0™

Yeah, I'm not really sure what they can do about it. Ijust assume that everyone who died, died.

It's not that different from Logopolis tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I keep meaning to bring this up with regard to Big Finish's various Time War connected products: is it me or does it feel like they're not very good at exploring the concept. One of the big things for me is that the Time Lords needed to be lovely enough and damaging enough to the universe that the War Doctor would finally snap and be willing to genocide his own species along with the Daleks to end it. But the Time Lords in the Big Finish Time War stuff I've listened to are explicitly the good guys. They're not paragons of virtue, but they're not doing anything that makes me think our hero would finally go "gently caress both of you.! Neither of you deserve to exist!" I heard people had liked their Time Wars stuff, and I just feel like it's coming up short. John Hurt really was great in the role, at least.

It depends what you're listening to, though Jaquline Pearce's character is not a heroic figure, and she's the main face for the timelords in a lot of the War Doctor stories.

If you're listening to Gallifrey, or the War Master sets, the timelords come out of those looking very, very bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

She's not heroic, but she's not really a villain, either, except that she finds herself in conflict with the Doctor due to wanting to use more extreme methods to deal with the Daleks. It's like WW2: the British Empire isn't good but they're fighting a multi-genocidal, expansionist, fascist force so even if they're trying to preserve their empire and hegemony, they still come across as the "good guys". And that's what I feel like I'm missing from the Time War, the stuff that makes me go "the universe is better off without Gallifrey". It plays like Big Finish doesn't want to go too far with Time Lords being lovely.

I haven't listen to any Time War stuff in the Gallifrey and War Master lines, so I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Gallifrry recontextuslises Ollistra's role in things, despite her not actually appearing, though you can see it in episodes like her Doom Coallition story. But I see your point about the War Doctor stories (which are, I'm gonna be honest, mostly poo poo IMO).

The Gallifrey Time War boxsets are much stronger, despite a fairly one note performance from a Lalla Ward.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Narsham posted:

I mean, there's only two stories you can tell here, right?
1. Doctor rejects the past and destroys the watch.
2. Doctor recovers the memories.

The memories are transferable IIRC, so there are other things that could happen here. They could somehow contrive a way to keep the Jo Martin Doctor around full time, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

I was thinking of grabbing the New Adventures of Berenice Summerfield Vol 1 and The Dalek Occupation of Winter in the Big Finish Dalek sale, anything else essential? The Eight Doctor Time War is something I'd like to try, but even with the discounted bundle price, it's too expensive right now for what I've heard aren't that amazing stories.

The first Bernice set is excellent, though a lot of people who hate comedic Who hate the first story. They're wrong, obviously.

The Dalek Occupation Of Winter is pretty good, and I suspect it's meant to be a tacit "Daleks invade The Left Hand of Darkness" story, which is cool.

The Eighth Doctor Time War stories are almost entirely disappointing. I'd suggest avoiding them tbh.