Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Here's a secret: all of Doctor Who is embarrassing to watch with a non-fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, if this just a standalone story rather than an attempt to further the Timeless Child mythos, I think there's more of a chance Chibnall will do something okay. I'm really not excited about the Timeless Child stuff. On one hand, I feel like it'd be best to retcon it/swerve it in another direction, on the other hand, this feels almost fundamentally unsalvageable to the point where I'd prefer to just ignore it, kind of like the 'Gwen Stacy hosed Norman Osborn and has his children' plotline in the Spider-man comics.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I thought I read somewhere that RTD thought the Timeless Child was a brilliant idea, though that may just have been him being diplomatic towards the guy he originally hired to run Torchwood.

No previous showrunner is going to publicly poo poo on an idea from the current one, especially given the whole group is so tight, so we'll never know what they really think about it. I can certainly see future showrunner seeing the possibility of mining previously unheard of incarnations of the Doctor as liberating, so I'm not expecting the concept to be completely forgotten the way half-human was.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Reverse the polarity of the neutron flux

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
'This enemy seems to be from the Doctor's past but the Doctor doesn't remember them' and 'The Doctor had a secret past with pre-Hartnell regenerations due to the Timeless Child shake-up' seem to go hand-in-hand.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Gotta give them points for lookin' fly in those outfits though

These are peak modern Doctor Who designs imho. Simultaneously almost high-budget enough to feel like they belong in a more respectable sci-fi show, and cheap enough that they feel like they belong in Power Rangers.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Chibnall is astonishingly bad at names. I know that's a minor nitpick but it's bizarre how awful some of the stuff he has come up with are. I mean, Rassilon was probably weird as hell back in the 70s when it was first used and only gets a pass because of familiarity with it now, but Awsok, Tecteun, Ashad, Ko Sharmus, Ranskoor Av Kolos, Paltraki etc, they both unmemorable and sound like the kind of silly names you'd get in cheap Syfy-level television shows (and no, Doctor Who is NOT at that level :mad:), and the only reason I knew any of the ones I just listed is because I had to go and look them up.

Tecteun and Ko Sharmus don't sound any different than Rassilon and Davros, IMO.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Contradicting or ignoring rules around the Angels was also their creator's bread and butter, so Chibnall's doing really well from that point of view!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If I wanted to retcon the Timeless Child without pretending it doesn't exist, I'd argue that the Doctor's entire life was some sort of timeloop where eventually she becomes the Child, then gets found, becomes the First Doctor, and so on and so forth. I'm gonna laugh hard if that's what Chibnall is doing, but that wouldn't explain why the Fugitive Doctor couldn't possibly remember Jodie's incarnation.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Vorgen posted:

Yes, it feels like the Doctor needs to be saved by one of her past selves.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Jodie ended up being saved by the Fugitive Doctor, which Chibnall seems to envision more as a swashbuckling adventurer than the Jodie incarnation.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Is this Chris Chibnall's Keys of Marinus? Time will tell.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Shneak posted:

lol at people thinking The Timeless Child would get retconned this season.

Nobody thought that the Timeless Child would be retconned, but given Chibnall was going to dive deeper into it, there was curiosity on how the reveal would be reframed and whether he'd manage to actually give it depth and make it slot more seamlessly into the show's continuity. So far, not seeing it, but there's always hope.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Dabir posted:

Didn't RTD already do protecting the multiverse

I think it was always just the one universe, although people marooned in an another one were involved. Which incidentally... did the Division not notice that there is at least another universe with a Doctor gallivanting around?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Oh, I forgot that bit. Well, I should've known better, there is literally no way to go bigger than Russel T. Davies.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Timeless Child is Dan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Option Billion Billions: The Doctor opens the fobwatch and lets out a ghastly scream. The companion asks concerned: "What did you learn?"
"Over the course of a billion billions of lifetimes, countless regenerations, endless possibilities, more pain than you can imagine... withstood and inflicted... I have never been ginger."

RTD is back, baby.