Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll watch it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm watching because it's more fun to be optimistic about stuff than it is to be a cynical bitch about everything

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm on board.

I've been thinking about Death's End a lot lately and this made me think of Death's End, though it doesn't seem to grasp the hard physics of that (not that I expect Doctor Who to hit the "hard SF" notes).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Narsham posted:

One big issue I had was the “shield Earth” plan. I don’t think Chibnall gets how big space is. With 7 billion ships and assuming a high Earth orbit, each ship has to be about 150 miles long to encompass the Earth. If we assume a low Earth orbit, that number drops to each ship being 792 feet long, which is plausible. OTOH, there may be enough orbital debris at that level to cause problems.

The bigger issue is, of course, the idea that each of this aliens is pair bonded to a single human life. Over 100 people die per minute, while maybe 250 people are born every minute. That seems like a problem. And one wonders where this fleet was when other events menaced the Earth.

The problem I had with it is that if the flux causes matter to just break down on a subatomic level as described because the fundamental laws of physics turn off, you won't be able to use matter or energy to stop it. I'm pretty certain that the sh ips are made of matter and energy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm still on board after the second ep

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This one was pretty messy. I reiterate that I keep seeing connections to Death's End, though. I feel like Chibnal read The Three Body Problem series and deceided that he wanted to write a story where The Doctor interacts with some of these premises.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TinTower posted:

The Great Serpent is going to end up being taking down by Ted Hastings anyway.

(Also, mysterious lady is totally the Black Guardian, isn't she?)

I suspect that the mysterious lady is going to be part of some transcendent species that lives on a plane of existence where they percieve universes the way that the Doctor looks at planets, and for their own unknown and unknowable reasons occasionally and unfeelingly witness (or even cause) the end of universes the way that the show does the with planets: some end traumatically, some end naturally, but they all end.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Here's my obligatory head-scratching at the notion that so many people (ITT, and elsewhere) said "Blink" was the episode they used to introduce people to DW, because why would you show a new viewer an episode of one-off characters that barely features the Doctor? :confused: It's like showing someone "Mission to the Unknown" to try and get them into the classic series. (E: or rather it would be, if it wasn't a missing episode :v:)

The argument such a person made to me is that it's an introduction to the setting and vibe of the show (debatable) where none of the story relies on any other episode, viewing, or knowledge of the show.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think that even in their first appearances they were draining energy from light sources to make it dark

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The amount of fun that a viewer can have with Doctor Who - any doctor, any series, any show runner, any script writer - is going to be inversely proportional to the degree of internal consistency and coherence that they demand from the show. The show is a chaotic mess of paradoxes and rewrites and contradictions. That's the show's strength, or it can be if you let it.

This is not to say that there aren't bad episodes, or plot holes, but to treat a monster's appearance from like a decade ago under a different showrunner as some kind of binding orthodoxy to get mad about is just pissing in your own cereal.

e. this is in reference to the weeping angels thing. The timeless child thing is dumb.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just to expand on the apparent contradiction between my post and my edit above too

One of the main reasons the timeless child stuff is dumb is that it seems to be trying to impose a canon and orthodoxy on the show. Doctor Who "canon" (a concept I loathe for fiction) is English Common Law - a messy historical tradition - and Chibnal seems to be trying to rewite it part of it as a civil code.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I went "holy crap" at the watch when it came onscreen because the Master reveal is my I think favourite new series moment, but then I deflated pretty quickly :(

The Edwardian international adventurers part was great. Needed a ride on a dirigible though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On the other hand the Tardis with a tree in it was a great set and should have been Jodie's all along.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This entire series strikes me as being hosed up by script rewrites and editing problems.

It might be possible to do a 3h recut of the entire thing and turn it into a cool coherent story.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vorgen posted:

I often judge the quality of television shows by how long their threads are here in the TV IV subform. I'd like to point out to all of you that this thread is only 20 pages long at the end of the season, which quite frankly is a disgrace.

tbf it was only 6 episodes, so that's 3 pages per. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say disgrace, though it was pretty mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

just caught up. I liked it! I think that it may seem better than it was just because of the contrast with the rest of what we've been getting in the last few series, but it was a perfectly good episode. It had a good scope and scale which is often where the crummy episodes start to fall apart: some weird poo poo, some dangerous poo poo, and some interesting side characters are all we need for a good story! It doesn't need to be about reality imploding and turning inside out again.

Wait did the flux still happen and kill most of the universe? It must have, if the Daleks are seeking revenge for it. That just struck me :thunk: