Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

*Uncovers eyes*

I'm so mad at you jerks who've seen this already. :mad:

*Covers eyes and runs away*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just watched it.

Bombast, Doctor being clever, season-long mystery, imaginative aliens...

We've started out Moffat as all heck and I am here for it.

If they play Thirteen's theme music when she does something clever, it'll be perfect. :allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Now that you mention it, it is profoundly strange that the show did a GIGANTIC shake-up to the status quo, didn't deal with it in its immediate follow-up because the special wanted to be about something else, which is fine, but then it's just been dropped completely.

I thought we'd have to wait until Rusty came back for The Timeless Children to be memory holed, but alright I guess I'll go with it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I suppose I should forgive myself for not remembering all the details of The Timeless Children considering I watched it so long ago back in last night.

:doh:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He really is such a good boy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The timeliness child is Dan, who is The Doctor from a past or future regeneration.

Mostly because I get Tennant's John Smith vibes off him sometimes. Not because I think it's a good idea or even likely to happen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If you were to ask me to describe in detail what happened in Flux, I couldn't even begin.

This is true of most of Chibnall's run.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Hot take here, but as far as I'm concerned the first incarnation of the Doctor is the Hartnell Doctor: an old man who fled Gallifrey with his granddaughter Susan for [reasons]. To me, all the Timeless Child stuff is just Chibnall indulging in the most egregious of "look how important I am" fanwank. I ignore it just like I ignore all the other dumb ideas and continuity errors I don't like from previous showrunners/producers/script editors/writers, while simultaneously embracing the brilliant ideas that I do like. Makes life so much easier that way. :v:
I truly appreciate when shows with long continuities go as wibbly as 'Who and Red Dwarf, because then my autistic brain can just accept it and move on the way you have.

It's the Ninja principle, but for canon.

When it happens in other franchises I go all crosseyed and it's like somebody's shouting a math problem I can't answer at me non-stop; my brain knows it's supposed to do something, but it just can't manage it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

I’ll never understand why JNT didn’t just hire an American actress. There’s loads living in the UK, working, going through RADA, etc.
In Canadian productions, you have to justify every hire from another country to the government. I bet the Beeb being run *by* the government would make this worse.

Though I have little doubt there are Americans with accents who are also citizens over there, which just brings us back to the original question.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mr Beens posted:

The BBC isn't run by the government
Is it accountable to the government? I clearly have no idea how it actually works.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wolfechu posted:

Effectively, they're supposed to be politically impartial, though that's not always been the case in recent years.
Thanks for the write-up. Some I knew, but I learned some new bits. But as for this one part, I will never understand how people think not being political is a real thing that's A.) desirable or B.) literally possible, but more likely it's all window dressing to conceal their actual hegemonic political stance of "old things good and therefore not political, new, confusing things bad and therefore political."

Calling me a rapist by platforming an actual, literal cis rapist is an apolitical act, evidently.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I go back and forth on this, but sometimes it feels like "sex pest" is too cutesy a euphemism for what these people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edward Mass posted:

It's a catch-all term, considering it includes both violent and nonviolent actions.
Yes, that's exactly my problem with it.