Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SiKboy posted:

Oh good, chibnal has gone back to the "the doctor has important things in her past that she doesnt remember" well.

I literally broke out laughing at this revelation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Have they just ignored/forgotten

Yeah

Quotey posted:

why is the episode riffing on itsself

why are hte cuts so bad

It took me a moment to realize the show even started because for some reason the entirety of this episode was cut exactly the same as the "Previously On..." recap

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Narsham posted:

I mean, there's only two stories you can tell here, right?
1. Doctor rejects the past and destroys the watch.
2. Doctor recovers the memories.

1 is absolutely obvious and where I figured the story was going.
I'm afraid Chibnall is planning to use 2 prior to the regeneration so that Time's threat is carried out. Doctor recovers memories, says "I'm no longer the Doctor," then regenerates. The Doctor is dead, someone else is now alive, have fun with that story RTD. (But that's probably too clever.)

Then there's the trollish 2 options.
Option Remsta: Doctor opens up the watch, straightens up. Starts behaving entirely differently. Turns out that wasn't her old memories in there, but someone else who has now taken over her mind.

Option Huh: Doctor opens up the watch, doubles over, gasps. Companion asks what's happening. Doctor says "I've just recovered all my old memories that were stolen from me by an evil organization trying to control all of space and time." Companion asks what she's discovered. "I don't want to talk about it."

That feels like a Moffat troll, but I could see RTD use it. Either this stuff will come up later, or it won't. In the meantime, we don't have access to the Doctor's interior world, we just see things from the companions' perspectives.

I'd be dumb to bring it back to do this but i was kinda hoping the twist/gag/troll at the end of the episode would be she opens it up and nothing happens. :)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I know people are justifiably annoyed with the "shipping" stuff, but I think it kinda works this time. I agree with Jeru that it's a way to do a coming out story for Yaz. The only thing that bothers me is more of a future specials thing, in that it feels like they're using it as a vehicle for Thirteen not to just have a conversation with Yaz about her past catching up to her, heating up for what Roger Ebert always called "the Idiot Plot," when conflict could have been avoided by characters having a simple conversation that they realistically would have had. Evading talking about her past is certainly in character for the Doctor, but it's hard to be sympathetic when she is putting someone she appears to have feelings for in danger because she's afraid of being vulnerable.

There's a bit of unshown unspoken space that's often in Doctor Who, that things probably happen between the episodes. That the Doctor and their companions maybe aren't directly going from one fire to the next as we see in the plots of episodes, there's less exciting things, maybe they did finally get to that beach planet and had a nice time, that one of them spent some time in a library in the Tardis, maybe they are in a Big Finish level adventure that doesn't really matter, things like that. I never really got that feeling with the Chibnal years. It's a constant jump between one hyper-emergency to the next. Of course Dan has to bring all these feelings up while they are fighting a urgent 2 minutes left countdown, none of these characters say anything to each other in their downtime.

Even the Tardis' internal design adds to that feeling with me. When Dan joins, he's told where to find his room, but with the current set design, I don't internally picture it. I don't imagine the characters even eating together on the Tardis. It's a cave without a single rock to sit on.