Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RTD already brought back Elisabeth Sladen and Katy Manning, so it's time for him to bring back Frazer Hines, Louise Jameson, and, hell, Carole Ann Ford.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor: Hallo, family! I told you I'd be back one day.
Susan: It's only been two minutes for us, Grandmother.
Doctor: Oh. Well, I'll get her to land at the right time one of these days, just give it a few more incarnations. You didn't have any bother about a Time War while I was gone, did you?
Susan: What?
Doctor: Grand. One day, I shall be back, etc. etc

*TARDIS groaning*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I always hope for it to be good and, hell, even if a lot of it is bad, there will probably be some good episodes. I'm not as excited about this season as I was the previous ones, but that just tempers my expectations. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Whoa, it's back already? I thought I had more time to catch up for some reason, lol. Somehow I have to fit this in between video games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I read that article earlier as well; from what I gather, the BBC will no longer be responsible for producing DW (or any of the spinoffs RTD wants to do). They retain merchandising rights to the series, and I think distribution as well, but the actual production, creative control, etc. all go to Bad Wolf now.

Also Sony is apparently considering buying Bad Wolf, so make of that what you will.

That's maybe the best of both worlds in some ways (in this specific case, at least). It means Doctor Who will continue after RTD decides to pass the torch, but that they're not going to stick their fingers into his creative vision and that any spinoffs he wants to produce, he'll have to pitch on their own merits and leverage his existing relationships to get them going. He's still going to spread himself too thin because that's who he is, but we know what that means for main line Doctor Who, and his abundant love for the series coupled with some outside voices on what's going to actually work for a spin-off in the current age of streaming services competing to become prestige TV will limit what new material they come up with.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*breathlessly* okay. Okay, I know it's probably been a couple of hours since I last posted. I'm caught up on Doctor Who now, you can all discuss the Flux season. Have sign-ups for secret Santa started? What do you mean, "Look at the calendar"?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

More seriously, I think I actually enjoyed that season. It was a total, disjointed trainwreck but it was just so weird. I like the two people who were on a journey to be together, Dan is cool, they finally gave Thirteen and Yaz some stuff to do, the professor and Victorian tunnel mole are solid archetypes to throw into the mix, and they don't really dwell on anything long enough to let it wear out it's welcome, except the early Buffy level make up job on the main villains with unclear motivations.

I still don't like the Timeless Child, but I'm less annoyed with it than I thought it would be. At the end of the day, it just means that the Time Lords were a bunch of blustering idiots, which is more or less how they've been portrayed since Tom Baker's era. The Doctor is still just some lost orphan who stole a time machine and for all we know some other group of blustering traditionalist jerkwads from Universe 69 created regeneration and stuck it in her by mistake. I think delving into the past regenerations too much or even revisiting the Timeless Child idea at length would be a mistake, and "the Master destroyed Gallifrey offscreen" is a weird way to write it off, but Davies had the right idea getting rid of the drat Time Lords right away for the revival, so whatever. I think I read it more as "the Time Lords were ultimately unimportant" more than "the Doctor was the most importantest person of all," it was just really clumsily handled.

It's insane that there are only going to be a few specials between now and 2023, though. COVID really did screw with TV.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SiKboy posted:

If amazon kills a few people its not that big a deal, deep down amazon is the good guy.

That one was so weird, lol. I rewatched it at one point and it genuinely feels like somebody else wrote the ending. It would have been a fun one without the twist.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Unfortunately Elon Musk and other NFT advocates are too inept and unlikable to be a Doctor Who villain, even compared to the wiz kid from that Sonataran two parter, Chris Noth's character, Chris Noth himself, and Adric.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That was a fun special. I know people are justifiably annoyed with the "shipping" stuff, but I think it kinda works this time. I agree with Jeru that it's a way to do a coming out story for Yaz. The only thing that bothers me is more of a future specials thing, in that it feels like they're using it as a vehicle for Thirteen not to just have a conversation with Yaz about her past catching up to her, heating up for what Roger Ebert always called "the Idiot Plot," when conflict could have been avoided by characters having a simple conversation that they realistically would have had. Evading talking about her past is certainly in character for the Doctor, but it's hard to be sympathetic when she is putting someone she appears to have feelings for in danger because she's afraid of being vulnerable.

Jodie got to do an impassioned speech, but they also still let her have fun with lines like "Did you duck? Nice." The romance between the humans was cute, even though the dude definitely raises a ton of red flags, lol. I think this about as good as the Daleks get anymore; it's tough to mine them for scariness and having them literally kill the heroes over and over again, smugly, appearing to be one step ahead, makes them at least appear threatening. It helps to have them in small numbers instead of a huge fleet for once.

It's a shame that everything seems to be kind of clicking into place like two episodes before the show changes completely, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah. I guess in this case, they have an argument for why the last season would lead directly into this special (which it seems to, mostly, with Dan saying that the Doctor saved the Universe "last week"), in that the event was so cataclysmic, they're still dealing with the consequences or whatever. But that they're living in Guts's Aggro Craig does make it look less homey and more like a single room, for sure.