Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I can’t read novels on a screen. My eyes just slide right off. Luckily there’s a magical place my tax dollars already fund that lets me just take any novel i please. There’s a nice new one I went to today that has a coffee shop built in.

Totally get it; I like my e-ink reader, but can’t enjoyably read off my phone, etc. also agree on the library front; public libraries literally changed my life for the positive in so many ways and it’s super depressing that many communities don’t realize the power not just in the books and the access provided by public computers, but the shared nondenominational common space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I like The Overcoat cuz it's short.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

that's it i'm grabbing my kindle and reading books again

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

that's it i'm grabbing my kindle and reading books again

hell yeah!!!! i get hyperfixated on reading a few months a year and its always so satisfying

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Who wants tonread a book about some drat frog

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Nooner posted:

Who wants tonread a book about some drat frog

you better be talkin about the french book not wind in the willows nooner!!!!!!

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I'd read about the bosom of a spacious cove

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If it was written more than 50 years ago it probably isn't relevant to modern experience :smugbert:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Maybw you need to read another book sid, its xalled the BIBLE

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I opened a Gideon bible the other day to the part where you’re supposed to have the priest give your wife an abortion if you think she cheated on you—I didn’t realize that was in there (to be fair god will magically make the abortion potion not work if she was faithful (the priest switches it out I guess lol))

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I'm reading I, Claudius right now and it's good.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Orlando Furioso has been stupendous for 489 years now. After chasing her around the known world, Orlando discovers his beloved Angelica has married some rando Arab soldier and gone back to China. It drives him stark raving mad. He strips off his clothes and then rampages naked across Europe, murdering everyone in his path, until Astolfo flies to the moon on a chariot pulled by two hippogriffs on loan from John the Baptist to recover his lost wits (because lost things inevitably wind up on the moon). I've read it three times in three different translation. I suggest the Guido Waldman prose one.

The Inferno from The Divine Comedy is great, Purgatory is all right, and Paradise is rather dull.

Don Quixote, I could never get through. Maybe the translation was bad but it bored me to tears.

Les Misérables is the perfect book. A jot or tittle more or less would lessen it. Some say its explanatory diversions are tiresome and I say you're nuts. Moby-Dick, now, I will agree is exhausting in its descriptions of whales, whaling ships, and the practice of whaling, devoting -- at most -- 10% of the text to the actual plot.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Is The Exorcist considered a classic book? Because it's older than me and also really loving good.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Reading "A City of Two Tails" and it's got some real strong furry vibes for a book from the 19th century.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
imma reread don quixote, thanks thread for inspiring me to read about a mans descent into his inner fantasy world

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I read that book in jail and was called gay because the cover had some pink on it. Pretty good book.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Same. Tried 3 times. Not sure why I stop though

I feel like the pacing is quite slow after the big event, feels like the book could have been shorter

Are the Harry Potter books considered classics yet cause I've been reading them for the first time

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
war of the worlds is a rad book about how getting colonized sucks and also has sweet mechs fighting a type of steam ship cool enough to be called a "naval ram"

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I learned a lot about life and adulthood from reading Fight Club

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Reading The Brothers Karamazov RN

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I started the Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. It's about a drunk crypto-priest in 1920s Mexico on the run from an atheist assassin. P cool imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_and_the_Glory

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Its been said before but it needs to be said again Moby Dick is great.

Does Focualt's Pendulum by Umberto Eco count as a classic?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Robinson Crusoe I tried and tried to like it, but just couldn't get in to it.

It was like reading someone's blog about their Minecraft playthrough, with some racism thrown in.

Poohs Packin posted:

Reading The Brothers Karamazov RN

I need to give that a try, I absolutely loved Crime & Punishment and War & Peace. Those people saying they couldn't get through Crime and Punishment are crazy, I burned through it in a week.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

The power and the glory and Foucault’s pendulum are both awesome, but tbqh I don’t think they count as Classic literature because they weren’t written with quills and they’re not older than my grandpa.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Also I am trying to re-read leviathan and haha holy poo poo is that excruciating.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Prof. Crocodile posted:

The power and the glory and Foucault’s pendulum are both awesome, but tbqh I don’t think they count as Classic literature because they weren’t written with quills and they’re not older than my grandpa.

foucault's pendulum is a bit recent to be called a "classic", sure, but i think the power and the glory classifies the same way this:

is a "classic car" now. maybe they don't belong to a certain "era" of literature or cars, but as time advances on, things that were new become old, and things that were old become desirable classics that represent a time gone by

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Elman posted:

It was like reading someone's blog about their Minecraft playthrough, with some racism thrown in.

I need to give that a try, I absolutely loved Crime & Punishment and War & Peace. Those people saying they couldn't get through Crime and Punishment are crazy, I burned through it in a week.

I remember hearing Russian literature has had some real serious issues with good translations like far more than most languages which are hit or miss with translations already but I don’t know anything about it beyond “the man in the pub”.

np19
Dec 25, 2016
Everyone owes it to themselves to read Germinal by Emile Zola. I don’t hear enough people talk about it when the matter of “the classics” comes up.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

wesleywillis posted:

I read Frankenstein. This is one instance where the movie was better than the book.
Read Dracula. It was pretty good.
Moby Dick, it was good the first time I read it, but tried the second time and it was...... Difficult.

Robinson Crusoe I tried and tried to like it, but just couldn't get in to it.
Might try that one again some time, but not today.

bob crusou fucks goats

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I've read a dozen or two of Shakespearean plays and the fucker doesn't even speak English. Who's paying him the big bucks for this garbo?!?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Pocket Classics #lifehack

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

has anyone ever eaten a monte cristo? p good if i ask me

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

np19 posted:

Everyone owes it to themselves to read Germinal by Emile Zola. I don’t hear enough people talk about it when the matter of “the classics” comes up.

Souvarine ftw

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Prof. Crocodile posted:

:hmmyes:

Jack London was racist and stuff but he wrote dogs really well. Nobody got dog voice as good.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

np19 posted:

Nana is the best and I won't hear anything else

E: also L'Œuvre but sad to read how Cezanne never spoke to him after it was published

OMFG FURRY fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 26, 2021

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I remember hearing Russian literature has had some real serious issues with good translations like far more than most languages which are hit or miss with translations already but I don’t know anything about it beyond “the man in the pub”.

Oh yeah I did check which translations were recommended. A few of them were supposedly pretty bad. And I did read C&P in Spanish, for what it's worth.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I wrote a new book you guys should read actually, pretty sure it's gonna be a classic. It's called "The Baron of Christ Mountain"

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
The best book i was forced to read in school was probably Lord of the Flies. Loved that one. Least favorite was Wuthering Heights. I could never make it through, i just cliffs noted it.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

i read david copperfield it was absolute trash, not a single levitation but the cake was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Glad we all agree Moby dick owns