Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Glad we all agree Moby dick owns

a humanities student flagged me down at a student center because they were trying to conduct some survey or something and asked me to name a hero of color in american lit

i answered queequeg and it was really awkward because they had to ask if that was a real name or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Moby dick like all timeless art has such staying power because it deals with the universal theme of how cool whales are.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Elman posted:

It was like reading someone's blog about their Minecraft playthrough, with some racism thrown in.

no man is an island, unless he's robinson crusoe

the fact that he still used a slave to thrive actually makes the analogy more fitting because it fits the "well, that part doesnt count" attitude that every bootstrapist espouses

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

curlys gold posted:

a humanities student flagged me down at a student center because they were trying to conduct some survey or something and asked me to name a hero of color in american lit

i answered queequeg and it was really awkward because they had to ask if that was a real name or something

Lmao

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Glad we all agree Moby dick owns

it does

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

curlys gold posted:

lmao

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I found this tier list. Some of these i don't remember that well but i know i read them

Yeah i dunno why Harry Potter is in it but whatevs

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Dixville posted:

I found this tier list. Some of these i don't remember that well but i know i read them

HP is in it because its all books that are assigned in middle and high school.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

the red pony is kind of like eraserhead except with red ponies

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
i read THings Fall Apart freshman year of high school and hated it but maybe i was just stupid and should re-read it

i was in an advanced lit course in middle school and read Grapes of Wrath in 8th grade and it went WAY over my head what the hell. and i was a really advanced reader for my age (don't worry it amounted to nothing as an adult, like fishmech). but now it is probably my favorite novel.

we also read The Good Earth in 7th grade which likewise went over everyone's heads. like Grapes of Wrath it had a kind of weird breastfeeding scene. what the hell is with your reading picks Miss Jarzab

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ended up settling on rereading dune since the remake is out and everyone's talking about it. i read it once in high school and had no intention of continuing beyond the first book but we'll see how well i like it 15 years later

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Comedy usually ages like milk but I’ve seen twelfth night twice and both times it was absolutely hilarious. Especially the stocking scene. I almost died laughing when I saw the Importance of Being Earnest so it’s there too.

I would add anything by Nathaniel Hawthorne to throw it away tier.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Given its importance as a profile of forums user behavior should we consider A Confederacy of Dunces to be classic?

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
No way to talk about classic lit without mentioning my pal Gustave Flaubert. Basically the first Modernist author, completely reinvented the novel. Madame Bovary is legendary of its portrayal of an unfulfilled woman seeking the dreamed-of excitement of her youth, and features the platonic ideal of a cuckold in Charles Bovary. L'Education Senimentale is also fantastic, an ironic novel about a young man who dreams of love and justice through revolution, but merely makes a lot of money in business. Both are hilarious, as well

np19
Dec 25, 2016

eSports Chaebol posted:

i was in an advanced lit course in middle school and read Grapes of Wrath in 8th grade and it went WAY over my head what the hell. and i was a really advanced reader for my age (don't worry it amounted to nothing as an adult, like fishmech). but now it is probably my favorite novel.

I read Grapes of Wrath for the first time last year. I think the reason it resonated with me so much was my accumulated life experience up until that point. I totally get why it would be lost on high schoolers who haven’t experienced much of anything.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The irony of Frankenstein is that the doctor was the real monster and the monster was a frankenstein. Similarly, the twist in The Count of Monte Cristo is that the count was actually Count Dracula the whole time.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

np19 posted:

I read Grapes of Wrath for the first time last year. I think the reason it resonated with me so much was my accumulated life experience up until that point. I totally get why it would be lost on high schoolers who haven’t experienced much of anything.

I don't know why anyone would ever give that book to highschoolers. I'm surprised they would too, given the strong anti capitalist message. But yeah it's an amazing read.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Maybe it's time to reread some Hamsun? Markens Grøde has some of that Crusoe "start with nothing but the land and a can-do attitude" energy, but instead of colonialism in a terrarium it's a man walking into the wilderness, cleaning a farm, and much later retiring as an accomplished old man with a family in the middle of a small but thriving community.

I'm not super fond of the English translation calling it "Growth of the land", though.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I remember hearing Russian literature has had some real serious issues with good translations like far more than most languages which are hit or miss with translations already but I don’t know anything about it beyond “the man in the pub”.

It took me like 5 years to get through Crime and Punishment and it turned out I had the original translation which is whole pages with no paragraphing bad.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

People kept making cracks about yams the week my class read Things Fall Apart

Linty Fresh
Oct 5, 2013

Dixville posted:

The best book i was forced to read in school was probably Lord of the Flies. Loved that one. Least favorite was Wuthering Heights. I could never make it through, i just cliffs noted it.

If she tells you she felt "inspired" after reading Wuthering Heights, loving SEVER!!!

Preferably BEFORE she starts setting your stuff on fire.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I liked Wuthering Heights, but the teacher who assigned it was wonderful. I'm not about to re-read it.

Read Dante's Inferno for college and thought that was pretty cool.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Great Gatsby sucks, but at least its short

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
F____ Scott Fitzgerald!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dixville posted:

This list is dogshit lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I mean, most of the books are good. Well, ALL of then are good bar Harry Potter which isn't just bad because the author is a loving worthless piece of poo poo; primarily bad because it's thematically incoherent compared to actual decent YA and is all over the loving place, it purely coasts on the virtue of its worldbuilding and even then that's primarily mediocre. It's a powerful attractant because it's insanely potent wish fulfillment and she managed to get the ideal crack recipe for a world that people can easily and repeatedly fantasize about existing in even though if you think about it for a second it would suck loving dick. Everyone in those books is a loathsome idiot and majorly unlikable, she completely and utterly bungled bizarrely hard subject matter she put in there and then didn't do the slightest bit to address.

Like any other author would have made the slave race way more low-key and less obviously chattel slavery, but she went whole-hog and even threw in a character that points it out and is used as a joke.

It's basically how no one addresses how hosed up sentient droids have it in Star Wars, but because it's not explicitly mentioned in that context for almost every movie in the series, people were willing to gloss over it. Then Solo comes out and directly points out how loving weird it is and makes fun of the character who does so, basically adding a whole bunch of allegory and broaching themes that should be addressed but are ultimately ignored.

Why do writers do this? It's insanely loving stupid.

Like, just make your slave race cutesie weird magical creatures, not disheveled, obsequious, terrified creatures who wear loving rags. What the gently caress man??? There's even a self loathing loving house slave in the books, she just literally could not keep herself from making it as blatantly parallel to real world stereotypes as she could. Stupid rear end mother fucker Rowling.

This isn't even getting into Jew Goblins, the absolutely brain damaged race purity politics that is also totally bungled, or the extremely hosed up gender dynamics between Harry's lovely dad and the stupid whiny gently caress PPJ rear end Snape.

Good YA usually has strong, centralized themes that it addresses completely. The narratives and complexity is usually pared down for its audience, but it deals with hard and grown subject matter directly with its allegory and commentary.

Harry Potter is just a grab bag of random poo poo, no great central thesis, nothing about its narrative has any tangible core to it. It reads loose as gently caress and has none of the tight pacing and plotting that A Wrinkle in Time has or, if we're looking at Harry Potter's contemporaries, A Series of Unfortunate Events or Holes.

Also, Wuthering Heights owns and is one of the biggest examples, probably only secondary to Catcher in the Rye of people not getting it and projecting weird poo poo onto it lol. Wuthering Heights is not a romance but is more-so bleak rear end, gothic, ethereal moodiness, and Catcher in the Rye's protag is supposed to be loathsome and annoying which owns because he's real af and exists everywhere in this world. Boomers are 90% just Holden Caulfields

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Great Gatsby sucks, but at least its short

It owns because it's just deliberately painting all these rich people as idiots destroying themselves and each-other over dumb poo poo.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I mean, most of the books are good. Well, ALL of then are good bar Harry Potter which isn't just bad because the author is a loving worthless piece of poo poo; primarily bad because it's thematically incoherent compared to actual decent YA and is all over the loving place, it purely coasts on the virtue of its worldbuilding and even then that's primarily mediocre. It's a powerful attractant because it's insanely potent wish fulfillment and she managed to get the ideal crack recipe for a world that people can easily and repeatedly fantasize about existing in even though if you think about it for a second it would suck loving dick. Everyone in those books is a loathsome idiot and majorly unlikable, she completely and utterly bungled bizarrely hard subject matter she put in there and then didn't do the slightest bit to address.

Like any other author would have made the slave race way more low-key and less obviously chattel slavery, but she went whole-hog and even threw in a character that points it out and is used as a joke.

It's basically how no one addresses how hosed up sentient droids have it in Star Wars, but because it's not explicitly mentioned in that context for almost every movie in the series, people were willing to gloss over it. Then Solo comes out and directly points out how loving weird it is and makes fun of the character who does so, basically adding a whole bunch of allegory and broaching themes that should be addressed but are ultimately ignored.

Why do writers do this? It's insanely loving stupid.

Like, just make your slave race cutesie weird magical creatures, not disheveled, obsequious, terrified creatures who wear loving rags. What the gently caress man??? There's even a self loathing loving house slave in the books, she just literally could not keep herself from making it as blatantly parallel to real world stereotypes as she could. Stupid rear end mother fucker Rowling.

This isn't even getting into Jew Goblins, the absolutely brain damaged race purity politics that is also totally bungled, or the extremely hosed up gender dynamics between Harry's lovely dad and the stupid whiny gently caress PPJ rear end Snape.

Good YA usually has strong, centralized themes that it addresses completely. The narratives and complexity is usually pared down for its audience, but it deals with hard and grown subject matter directly with its allegory and commentary.

Harry Potter is just a grab bag of random poo poo, no great central thesis, nothing about its narrative has any tangible core to it. It reads loose as gently caress and has none of the tight pacing and plotting that A Wrinkle in Time has or, if we're looking at Harry Potter's contemporaries, A Series of Unfortunate Events or Holes.

Also, Wuthering Heights owns and is one of the biggest examples, probably only secondary to Catcher in the Rye of people not getting it and projecting weird poo poo onto it lol. Wuthering Heights is not a romance but is more-so bleak rear end, gothic, ethereal moodiness, and Catcher in the Rye's protag is supposed to be loathsome and annoying which owns because he's real af and exists everywhere in this world. Boomers are 90% just Holden Caulfields

Yeah, but... I mean.....the guy made a million dollars!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Catcher in the Rye is one of those books young men who want to appewr intelligent read and dont quite get whats going on and then say "oh this is deep, i would like to appear deep, i identify with this character, everyone else is a phony".

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Nah, the importance of Catcher in the Rye was so hyped up by Jodie Foster obsessed assassins and that Mel Gibson movie where he's autistic, that by the time the book was assigned, all the boys in my class were like "This is it? This kid's just whining."

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Wouldve been alot better if he did the sex act with the hooker at the end instead of bitching out

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

The Idiot is maybe my favorite book ever, I've barely read the classics though I should more often

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

Ishmael is Ahab

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Maybe I'll go back and read some of these books some day now that I'm an adult. I wonder if i would rate them differently. I was just going by my teenage opinion

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I’m going to start pretending it’s bad to read wuthering heights as well

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is The Outsiders considered a classic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Ok fine, wuthering heights is a free pdf on Google books, I'll read it again. Or actually finish it finally.