Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

All Holdens Are Bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Finished La Chartreuse de Parme by Stendhal recently. A good book, though I often felt like guillotining the aristocratic main characters.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

np19 posted:

Everyone owes it to themselves to read Germinal by Emile Zola. I don’t hear enough people talk about it when the matter of “the classics” comes up.

That one's next on the list! I can't wait to get my revolutionary strike on.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Harry Potter is just a grab bag of random poo poo, no great central thesis, nothing about its narrative has any tangible core to it. It reads loose as gently caress and has none of the tight pacing and plotting that A Wrinkle in Time has or, if we're looking at Harry Potter's contemporaries, A Series of Unfortunate Events or Holes.

Holes is not old enough to be a classic but I’m glad you mentioned it because it rules

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I could never get past the word Wuthering.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I never read Wuthering Heights, but my sister has very strong feelings on it. "It's about two miserable monsters who died and I'm GLAD."

All I remember from Grapes of Wrath is him following that drat tortoise for like, 20 or 30 pages.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I don't understand, call who "Ishmael"?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I don't understand, call who "Ishmael"?

Me

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's my gamertag

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
A confederacy of dunces is hilarious and deserves its rep as one of the funniest books ever

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Ishmael, when you call me, you can call me Al. (Call me Al)

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Ishmael is a good book too

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
We had a choice of 3 books to finish our high school 19th century British literature unit. It was Wuthering Heights and 2 more books that were worse. The teacher tried to sell Wuthering Heights as not a sappy love thing and backfired because now we were all convinced it was sappy love stuff if the teacher had to try and sell it.

By the end everyone who picked Wuthering Heights was like drat that was cool as hell, meanwhile the rest of us never got past the introduction that involved 200 pages of describing a pub and it's visitors and Cliffs noted the book report and would have failed if not for the fact nobody in the class read the book.

I think what I mean is I need to go back and read Wuthering Heights.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Many good books mentioned already, and I literally just finished Moby Dick the other day. Is other Melville worth reading? My impression is Moby Dick is pretty different from his other stuff.

Also, Cervantes is deeply beloved by other writers I love, like Borges, but I've always had trouble getting through Don Quixote as well. Does anyone have a good translation or some advice?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Many good books mentioned already, and I literally just finished Moby Dick the other day. Is other Melville worth reading? My impression is Moby Dick is pretty different from his other stuff.

Do you like polynesians???????!?!?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Bartleby the scrivener is a great very short read

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Bartleby the scrivener is a great very short read

Oh, I think I read this one--the "I'd prefer not to" guy, right?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Yep

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Typee was an interesting book by Melville.
Since you’ve read moby dick it’s pretty obvious that Melville actually spent some time on whaling ships.
But he hated whaling so much that he went awol on his first trip and ended up stuck on an island for a while with “cannibals”
He wrote Typee based on that real life adventure.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you're still feeling some survival at sea stuff: The Open Boat by Stephen Crane is awesome: https://americanenglish.state.gov/files/ae/resource_files/the-open-boat.pdf

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Typee was an interesting book by Melville.
Since you’ve read moby dick it’s pretty obvious that Melville actually spent some time on whaling ships.
But he hated whaling so much that he went awol on his first trip and ended up stuck on an island for a while with “cannibals”
He wrote Typee based on that real life adventure.

I think I have Pierre or the Ambiguities on my shelf, but I haven't given it any time. I'm assuming no one really talks about his other work because it's not as transcendent as Moby Dick, but I like his style so I'm willing to give his deep cuts a try.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
The funny thing about Typee is that was his most famous book while he was alive. Moby Dick did not become popular until after Melville died.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKERtgA0Yrc

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I have a bunch of Camus but haven't revisited most of it in like 7 years maybe. Wonder how I'd feel about his stuff today. or kafka, for that matter

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Das Boo posted:

I never read Wuthering Heights, but my sister has very strong feelings on it. "It's about two miserable monsters who died and I'm GLAD."

All I remember from Grapes of Wrath is him following that drat tortoise for like, 20 or 30 pages.

All I remember is them deliberately running over a dog and I was out. I’m glad those shitfuck okies suffered.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm gonna go ahead and say the a good number of the 'classics' are unreadable poo poo

Mark Twain is excellent, I like Steinbeck, I like Joseph Heller (if he counts) and I like Dostoyevsky. I love Gene Wolfe but I doubt many people would accept him being put in that category.

Most of the rest I've bounced off hard

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

i read THings Fall Apart freshman year of high school and hated it but maybe i was just stupid and should re-read it

Things Fall Apart is worth a re-read it is a beautiful book

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Things Fall Apart is worth a re-read it is a beautiful book

Really depress yourself and twin bill it with Red Sorghum.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

runnypoops posted:

A confederacy of dunces is hilarious and deserves its rep as one of the funniest books ever

Same with catch - 22. That book is absolutely hilarious and I pity anyone who didn't bother actually reading it when it was assigned

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Catch 22, Bat 21 and Turk 182 were all movies with numbers that confused me as a kid.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I read "The Way We Live Now" and it revolves around the stock mania of building railroads but also because it's by Trollope it had plenty of hot upper class on lower class action. I was like, "drat, the mania for buying stocks in these rail companies that are nothing more than rumors is like the internet craze from the 00s or the theme of the song 'Big Rock Candy Mountain'" and then I googled to read criticism of the book and the first academic was like, "ON THE SURFACE, IDIOTS WILL DRAW PARALLELS BETWEEN THE STOCK MARKET MANIA OF THE BOOK AND THE INTERNET BUBBLE" so I stopped trying to read what others said about the books I read and instead read for pleasure... so no more Trollope, we're reading Zola where he still writes about heavily speculating in real estate and the stock market during the Second Empire but the son of the main character has nasty sex with his step mom

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

If you all want a less heavy Dostoyevsky-novel check out The Double.

Golyadkin the protagonist is just a complete neurotic buffoon. It's almost Curb your enthusiasm, if it was written by Dostoyevsky.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Play posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say the a good number of the 'classics' are unreadable poo poo

Mark Twain is excellent, I like Steinbeck, I like Joseph Heller (if he counts) and I like Dostoyevsky. I love Gene Wolfe but I doubt many people would accept him being put in that category.

Most of the rest I've bounced off hard

Maybe you’re just a philistine

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Anyone here read War and Peace?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Brother Tadger posted:

Maybe you’re just a philistine

I probably am. But I also don't buy the idea that anyone can actually correctly determine which books or authors are good enough to be dubbed 'classics' and which aren't

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

i like the part in beowulf where they say a bunch of nonsense words in norseman language and then they repeat everything in proper english

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Szyznyk posted:

All I remember is them deliberately running over a dog and I was out. I’m glad those shitfuck okies suffered.

gently caress, I was just thinking about the "kick the dog moment" to shorthand a villain. How did people loving miss that?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

F. Scott Fitzgerald is rich people problems and I feel a little embarrassed about liking so much of his stuff, though I do consider Gatsby to be much less than Tender is the Night. If you hate rich people problems, The Beautiful and the Damned is satisfying.

Robinson Crusoe chat: That Swiss Family Robinson is essentially Robinson Crusoe fanfic. Right down to the title.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Surprised no one has mentioned Hemingway--I've only read The Sun Also Rises and A Movable Feast, but I keep meaning to read his more famous stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Gotta go for Jules Verne for my personal fave which is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It feels so much like youre being drawn in for this grand journey into the world abroad, like someone telling you about this amazing vacation, where things go a little tilt.

Also one of the few funny SNL sketches i ever remember was when Kelsey Grammar hosted in the nineties and it was a version of 20,000 leagues and the general bit of the comedy was no one understood that leagues are not a measurement of depth.