Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Finished La Chartreuse de Parme by Stendhal recently. A good book, though I often felt like guillotining the aristocratic main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

np19 posted:

Everyone owes it to themselves to read Germinal by Emile Zola. I don’t hear enough people talk about it when the matter of “the classics” comes up.

That one's next on the list! I can't wait to get my revolutionary strike on.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I don't understand, call who "Ishmael"?

Me

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's my gamertag

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Revins posted:

I have a bunch of Camus but haven't revisited most of it in like 7 years maybe. Wonder how I'd feel about his stuff today. or kafka, for that matter

Camus is good and cool, now and always. Unlike that weird crab-seeing motherfucker Sartre

Even though his non-fiction is mostly impenetrable to me, I tried and failed several times to read L'Homme Revolté

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

i likw that one kafka short story where franz or whoever wakes up and he's jeff goldblum but he still has to go to his lovely insurance job or whatever. its total horseshit jeff goldblun was in independence day

Die Verwandlung? It's the only Kafka book I ever read along with the obvious one (The Trial), and actually in German this time, albeit painstakingly. Just like the other one it's depressing as poo poo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Elman posted:

It's so loving good. And it's not a difficult read at all once you get past all the Russian names, people just find it intimidating cause it being super long is basically a meme.

Most of the 19th-century classics aren't particularly difficult reads, other than the occasionally convoluted sentence structure and outdated references to specific types of horse coaches. The narrative is usually a lot easier to follow than much of the current fiction that's trying to be extra and post-modern. So don't be scared off by that

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

From theit hit album, Grapes of Rage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

np19 posted:

Everyone owes it to themselves to read Germinal by Emile Zola. I don’t hear enough people talk about it when the matter of “the classics” comes up.

I've just about finished this one. Great book, very moving, even though I had to struggle past some of the very specific French mining terminology at the start.