Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

My shifter knob has been moving a bit clockwise too. Yours is way clockwise. Probably every time it tightens it gets a little deeper, or alternately it isn't tight enough. Someday I'll get a new sticker for it, or put a tiny shim in the hole to back it out a little.

Is the thread not long enough to get a jam nut on there, so the knob can be locked into place in any orientation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

WTFBEES posted:

An aside - the sensor under the freeze plug in the first picture above sure is strange. I presume it's the OEM oil pressure sending unit, out of which sticks an uninsulated rigid and solid length of copper. It goes nowhere now. Unless I come across a good reason not to, I'm going to chop it off one of these days.

are you sure it's a sensor, and not just a fitting that goes into the oil gallery, which would be plumbed to a mechanical gauge? because that's what it looks like to me. if someone ran hard copper the whole way without care, it could have work hardened and broken. if it really goes nowhere, that sounds like a good candidate for your source of oil

i would at least pull that whole stack of fittings off and stick in an NPT plug, for now.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
imo, the QA1 is "fine" but it's not great if you want anything more than grocery getting out of it

i would go for ridetech, but then again im probably just saying that because i did the same for my car lol

i was vacillating between ridetech and some lesser parts, when i discovered that there are some vendors who get some pretty good deals on that stuff, and it brought the ridetech stuff down at or below the prices i was seeing for the nominally cheaper alternatives. i got all my ridetech stuff from MCB, they seem like a good resource

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

WTFBEES posted:

Anyways, after that I was an idiot and pulled all the plug wires from the distributor trying to diagnose a misfire only to realize we hadn’t marked any of their positions, so there went most of a day getting things retimed. We fix the issue though (bad plug wire) so that’s good. We’re still in need of tuning as it’s running way rich at idle and turning carb screws while hoping for the best hasn’t yet worked.

is it an older holley? could be a blown power valve. if you turn the idle mixture screws all the way in, and it still runs, it's probably the PV. especially since you were dicking with the timing, so it could have been advanced enough to backfire.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

WTFBEES posted:

Yep, it's a 4150 and we have DEFINITELY backfired through the carb. And yes, it'll run happily with the idle screw all the way in. We'll check the power valve. Thanks!

that's a classic weak spot on those. according to holley, it's pre-1992 carbs that don't have the protector check valve. if it's one of those, you can retrofit one if you feel ok with drilling: https://www.holley.com/products/tools/carburetor_tools/parts/125-500

either way i bet you'll find a blown diaphragm in there!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
im not a pro, only done mig a couple times in my life, but imo those welds look cold. it looks like the weld is sitting on top of the metal, rather than flowing into it

next time you do a test weld, maybe try more heat, but move faster? obviously warping is a concern, but you can do like an inch of weld quickly, then move to the other side, do another inch, and so forth. blowing through happens when you linger too long, from what i remember

if anyone else has better suggestions i def defer to them though. im kind of an idiot

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

WTFBEES posted:

Scout status – Now has some big rear end tires.

“Some” meaning two.

hang on, don't those bfg's come in RWL? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
every time i see this thread i realize i really like scouts. if i didnt grow up around jeeps, i would probably be into these instead. cool truck. good job getting it all done up for the show, too