Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Nice trucks. POR 15 seems to be the go-to best, most serious way to deal with rust. It's what I'm planning to do (except where I'm lazy and use rustoleum spray paint).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Captain McAllister posted:

Yeah, POR-15 doesn't like UV exposure, and can be picky about prep work.

I think they have some products that don't require a top coat, just make sure you read the label/ website carefully.

I did a motorcycle frame with it years ago that turned out OK, and wheel wells of a truck more recently, that didn't.

They are definitely quite serious about their instructions and you’re right about the UV exposure too.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

WTFBEES posted:

I've heard conflicting things on this and it has me concerned. Did you use the POR Metal Prep before the coating? I've got a gallon of it here and ready to go hoping that'll do the etching and make it work.

Yeah, not arguing with stormdrain, but my experience following all the instructions to the letter with por15 is it works really well. It’s also a pain in the rear end.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You got a little something on your face. Not so much here or here as… uh, right there.

What are you going to do with rust protection for the frame?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

WTFBEES posted:

It'll be a little while before I get to it, but the frame is getting POR15. I think I've got everything to follow the recommendations here including:

-Lots of little jars instead of a single big gallon that will permanently seal itself closed
-A jug of POR's metal prep/primer
-Cheap throwaway foam brushes and rollers
-A big 'ol tarp to protect the garage floor
-Garbage clothes
-3M respirator to preserve brain cells or lungs or whatever POR is going to try to kill

Before anything gets painted, I want to do everything I can to avoid future frame cutting or drilling. I'm spoiling some of my future updates here, but here's what's on the list right now:

-Drill for fuel cell cross brace and straps. Reference - http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/chassis_suspension/fuelcellinstall.htm
-Maybe drill for transmission cross member? Need to figure this out.
-Drill for rear battery box and remote starter solenoid.
-Probably also notch rear cross brace for battery box.
-C-notch frame.
-Drill for rear suspension mounts.
-Drill for fuel filter, pump and regulator.
-Tape off and do NOT paint frame ground for battery.
-Tape off and regular paint frame VIN engravings.
-Probably more I haven't thought of yet. You all tell me so I can avoid regrettable mistakes.

EDIT: Typing all that makes me realize I should elaborate on plans a bit more so you all can make informed recommendations. Will do that when I get a chance.

fwiw, on the little por15 cans you should still just use two layers of saran wrap on them - one that goes into the can and touches the por15 so it stays fresh and then another that does the same for the cap so the cap itself doesn't get stuck to the can.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

WTFBEES posted:

Lol nothing rusts here.

Still enjoying the thread, but this is just blowing my mind. I know I should be able to accept and internalize facts that differ from my experience but…

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

WTFBEES posted:

You guys talked me into buying a TIG welder.

Day 1 trip report - this thing is fun as hell. Would recommend.

Nice! What’s the first project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Tailgate weld looks quite good. Still enjoying this but don't have much to contribute. :)