Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh poo poo, I've missed this thread (for months apparently) because all I ever do is bookmark browse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

The way I see it new trucks still use leaf springs in the back so refreshing the springs, bushings etc… likely will get you where you want to be for a daily driver and spend some of that money on sound deadening and other comfort items for the cab, newer over drive transmission to keep RPM low.

Counterpoint: having ridden in a trailing-arm C10 (I believe it was just a plain old cut-spring drop, given that this was circa 2002 and that truck had probably been built/lowered in the mid 90s), it is so much nicer than a leaf-spring setup. I've wanted to convert my truck ever since.

I have the CPP coilover setup mostly-installed on the front of mine. Still haven't loving finished so I can't really say much about it yet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh I have that part done, used a big-rear end hole saw. It killed my old first-generation M18 compact drill but that was just an excuse to buy a new brushless one which didn't break a sweat. The majority of the work to be done on the suspension is adjustment / torquing everything down, and then finishing my rewiring project.

I'm nowhere near that kind of power (and never will be, 650hp in a C7Z was mind-bending enough for me). But with a 4" leaf spring drop and no C-notch, the springs are stiff as hell and there's only a tiny bit of travel before axle tubes smack bump stops. I'll do a rear suspension someday, but at the rate the Jeep keeps sucking up money, that's not anytime soon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That way, madness lies.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's a spot of bare metal on my C10's hood where it was scratched while removed for the engine swap. I've never been assed to paint it.

That engine swap was completed in 2005.

It's still rust-free.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

https://imgur.com/Cz05p4x

i cant figure out how to make this embed so please click for my funny joke

I laughed.

I've been kicking around the idea of a MIG/fluxcore capable machine for a good long while now and should probably just bite the loving bullet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My '70 has that same bumpout for the shock, but the one with the hex cutout in front is new to me. I won't be surprised if you end up having to cut it out.

Edit: For reference, this is the driver's side of my truck in the same area.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 24, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

boxen posted:

There's no "gently caress it, I'll use tape" for brake line though, thankfully.

Sure there is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

I have no idea what this means and choose to believe it means we're really cool and doing good stuff. So thanks!

Kevbarlas doesn't post here anymore unfortunately, but was restoring a Ford van that was more "rust hole" than anything else and making it look better than new.

So yeah, it's a compliment :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Space Age fuckin rules. It's probably a good sign (for them at least) that they're probably the only automotive shop on that stretch of Country Club that's managed to stay in continuous operation with the same ownership. RIP BAP Import Parts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

Yeah, my dad made the tire choice and elected to go no white letters. Not the way I would have gone but oh well.

Need to see what I'm doing this weekend, since I'm certainly not going to have the Canyon fixed by then, but I could really use some in-person motivation to get my C10 moving.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was going to say I'm in ur show takin ur picture :v:

I expect that MTX truck a row over blasting inaudible and painful bass was probably even more repellent if you were actually parked up instead of just passing by, though

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just now saw the reply. Need a hand?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

ing we tried to get it undeformed worked until we made use of the oppressive Arizona heat and threw it out in the sun for a while

Oppressive is not doing this enough justice. You're a goddamn madman doing anything this time of year.

Also that Volvo has a flat load area, a live axle, and a red block, so sorta counts? :v: I still have a soft spot for 240s despite the fact that mine was a shitbox that wouldn't pass emissions.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

eh mah gerd that cat :3:

If the layer lines of the printed armrests bother you, I'd see about getting them upholstered in something.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus, no poo poo. I would've assumed that's the same one that was on my C10 - mine has the later half-moon style now after dealing with the same issue.

It's also such an obnoxious connector for something that has to pass through the steering column.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Whole-heartedly approve of catte and Volvo. I would've fought harder to keep mine viable if it was a longroof manual, but at the time it was just an automatic sedan that my HOA hated and I couldn't love enough to make pass emissions reliably.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm out of town or I'd be down again. Looking good though!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

I love slammed utility trucks and am glad this has become a thing.

I think this was there last year too but if not then it was something similar. Looks awesome.

WTFBEES posted:

Last but not least, my truck of the show. This thing is very much my poo poo.

Yup. It's ridiculous and I love it.

WTFBEES posted:

Cooling – Yeah, we need to do something here. It’s currently got a mechanical fan with no shroud. Probably not ideal. Debating between just adding a shroud, or throwing a big electric at it. It never got about 190 on the drive back home (with no huge line to wait in) but we’re only a couple months away from 50* higher air temps than we saw this morning.

Summer can't possibly be here yet summer is coming but I'll second/third/whatever the shroud as the better choice for the money. Even at $Scout prices, a set of good aftermarket fans is a lot more. There is always the "used OEM" option if you can find something with a similar engine size and similar core size that came with electric fans. I'm running the fourthgen Camaro fans on my C10 and while they pull up to 40A at full load (enough to drop the idle on the LS1), they do a good job keeping things cool.

WTFBEES posted:

Brakes – Thankfully functional but still not exactly confidence inspiring. There’s very little from the top half of the pedal before finally coming at what feels like nearly the floor. This is after a 30 PSI pressure bleed, so I can’t imagine there’s still air in there. Thought – The booster that’s on there now has an adjustable pushrod. I broke out the calipers and took all kinds of measurements when installing it, but would the length being too short possibly lead to this?

Possibly, especially if it truly feels like nothing. Too long would be immediately obvious as brakes that don't release fully.

WTFBEES posted:

Steering / Suspension – Oh boy. Pre-front end rebuild you could saw the wheel nearly a quarter turn in either direction and not leave your lane. All very sloppy as you’d imagine from how beat everything was. We’ve now gone hard to the other extreme. This thing is darty and hard to keep on center with even the smallest inadvertent input (magnified by a rather small steering wheel) leading to plenty of motion. I hope this will break in? Maybe a real alignment is in order as well.

It's a solid front axle with leaf springs, right? I can't imagine you have adjustment even available other than toe and maybe caster. I've got a set of these laying around if you want to borrow them. In my experience so far with the Jeeps this has been more than accurate enough to make sure you've got the right amount of toe-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

Yeah, we did a tape measure alignment for an 1/8" of toe in working off the middle and centerline of the tires, but that's all the easy adjustment. I do hear that ball joint shims are a thing for caster though? Need to look into this.

I think for caster you'd want some angled shims to slot in between where the axle and leaf spring meet. I fully admit I haven't touched caster on a solid axle vehicle before but my understanding is you want as much as you can manage without loving up your pinion/driveshaft angles.