Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Pirates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Black Future '88 because that had the best trailer and best music.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Deflector, because while Pirate Poker look nice, we've seen enough card games for the moment.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I kinda want to see Slay the SpARRR! Or I guess they call it Pirates Outlaws, whatever.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'd like to see Black Future 88 just for the style points.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I vote for Deflector.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

So, uh, it turns out Deflector: Specimen Zero is more of a demo than an actual game. The real game is slated to come out later, so I messed up. Oops.

:siren: ANYWAY, NEW GAME! :siren:

THE WIND AND THE WILTING BLOSSOM
Navigate the war-torn lands of an alternate history Heian Japan battling yokai hordes in challenging turn-based combat. Encounter hundreds of story events, level-up your party, and unlock new allies and weapons. Die, learn from your mistakes, and try again.

DANDY ACE
Dandy Ace is an over the top action game that follows this fabulous magician seeking to combine and use his magical cards, fighting and looting his way to defeat the Green-Eyed Illusionist and free himself from a cursed mirror.

GOING UNDER
Going Under is a satirical dungeon crawler about exploring the cursed ruins of failed tech startups. As an unpaid intern in the dystopian city of Neo-Cascadia, you’ll wield office junk as weaponry as you make your way through the offbeat procedural dungeons beneath your company campus.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Gonna cast a vote for Wind and the Wilting Blossom because of the neat aesthetic mainly.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

Gonna cast a vote for Wind and the Wilting Blossom because of the neat aesthetic mainly.

Seconding this

I do love Going Under, but I've already played it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

While I've seen Going Under before, I wanna see it again, because it's rad. Also apparently there's been an update since I last saw it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Going Under has a good aesthetic and looks like it'll be fun to see in action.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Victor by coin flip and another two-parter.

I don't think I mentioned it in the video, but I really do like the style and mood of this game. I just wish I was actually good at it.

:siren: NEXT GAME VOTE :siren:

GONE VIRAL
Gone Viral is an over-the-top action game with heavy roguelite elements where you fight for your life in a prison arena to entertain a blood-thirsty audience. Rack up your kill count, grab mutations and crazy weapons to change gameplay and get what you need to escape and Go Viral.

DANGER SCAVENGER
Danger Scavenger is fast-paced action, cyberpunk-themed, roguelite skyline crawler. Blow up, cut, shoot enemy robots on the roofs of skyscrapers. Choose your way to higher levels, loot, buy stuff, upgrade yourself, fight against greedy corporations, be a rebel!

CURSE OF THE DEAD GODS
You seek untold riches, eternal life, divine powers - it leads to this accursed temple, a seemingly-infinite labyrinth of bottomless pits, deadly traps, and monsters.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I don't know if I'm just feeling bitchy today, but Samurai Might & Magic crossed with the worst part of FTL put me to goddamn sleep, and only one of the three trailers didn't make me immediately hate them. Curse of the Dead Gods gets my vote not only for looking like it doesn't suck, but actually seeming to have a hint of potential.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I've seen some people play Curse of the Dead Gods, and it looks cool, so that's my vote

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Felinoid posted:

I don't know if I'm just feeling bitchy today, but Samurai Might & Magic crossed with the worst part of FTL put me to goddamn sleep, and only one of the three trailers didn't make me immediately hate them.
It's just you, trust me.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Tossing in my vote for Curse of the Dead Gods, as well.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Part 2! Tactical blunders abounds.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

so theres a guy who talks about kissing goblins, ingratiating goblins, being in bed with the goblins

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

was gonna be contrarian about what to see next and vote for something else but watching the trailers.... ehhh, yeah, Curse of the Dead Gods is the only one that doesn't feel overproduced

e: watched the videos, interesting idea and it does look well-made, but not for me

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 22, 2022

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

This game is pretty good. Also, I finally did beat the 'final' expedition and found out I was only halfway through the game. Wow!

:siren: WHAT'S NEXT!? :siren:

OPERATION STEEL
Operation STEEL is a roguelike shoot-em-up rendered in beautiful hand-drawn art. Blow up loads of enemies, destroy huge bosses, find weapons, and upgrade your load-out between levels. Combat the electronic legion across 20+ procedurally generated levels!

CRASH THE CORE
A sci-fantasy roguelike deckbuilder with RPG elements such as building your own starting deck, equipping gadgets, summoning allies, and salvaging cards for different effects. Discover strange events, go fishing and gather Intel to uncover a conspiracy to take over the galaxy!

BLADE ASSAULT
Blade Assault is a 2D action rogue-lite platformer with beautiful pixel art set in a desolate sci-fi world. Fight against the corrupt military of Esperanza as part of the resistance force of the Undercity. Bring the corrupt to justice by becoming stronger and fighting alongside your trusty comrades.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Blade Assault

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Can we suggest games? If so, have you tried Trials of Fire? The design seems quite similar to Wind and the Wilting Blossom, although the theme is completely different of course. Haven't played it in a while and it has had a ton of free updates since then.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Blade Assault, definitely.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Curse of the Dead Gods seems good but the graphics and UI are so obviously imitating Hades it's a little distracting.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

t3isukone posted:

Curse of the Dead Gods seems good but the graphics and UI are so obviously imitating Hades it's a little distracting.
The gameplay feels different, it's much slower paced compared to Hades (also not as fun); the term gets thrown around a lot, but it's more Souls-like regarding combat pace. I've played that right before trying Hades and I liked it enough to finish it once, but not enough to keep on playing it to get all the extra stuff.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Blade Assault

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
All top-down action roguelites are made retroactively less fun by Hades existence, unfortunately. Just like all twin-sticks suffer from Enter the Gungeon having already being invented.

That Italian Guy posted:

Can we suggest games? If so, have you tried Trials of Fire? The design seems quite similar to Wind and the Wilting Blossom, although the theme is completely different of course. Haven't played it in a while and it has had a ton of free updates since then.

Haven't seen it before, so I'll throw it on the list!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The closest Sonic Hedgehog roguelite we're going to get.

:siren: NEXT GAME! :siren:

DEFEND THE ROOK
A roguelike tactics board combat combined with tower defense elements. Defeat the invading hordes to stay alive and save the land! Enjoy more tactics than a normal TD game, combined with the added challenge of building towers and fighting off waves of enemies!

DESCENDERS
Descenders is extreme downhill freeriding for the modern era, with procedurally generated worlds, and where mistakes have real consequences. Will you lead your team to glory and become the next legendary Descender?

ZENGEON
Zengeon is an anime infused Action RPG and Roguelite with a selection of unique characters and varying play-styles. Slaughter your way through demonic hordes and colossal bosses with hundreds of combination and skill possibilities!

Voting ends Friday at midnight MST!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Descenders seems like the most unique one, but I'll vote for DEFEND THE ROOK cause I'm a sucker for tactics.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Also going with Defend the Rook, because it looks fun.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I am morbidly fascinated to see how Descenders could possibly do roguelike bike riding.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Defend the Rook looks the most fun and polished even if Descenders might be entertaining somewhat at PBug's expense.

Party Bug posted:

All top-down action roguelites are made retroactively less fun by Hades existence, unfortunately. Just like all twin-sticks suffer from Enter the Gungeon having already being invented.

Haven't seen it before, so I'll throw it on the list!

counterpoint to the first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whqzf1d-E2w

e: and don't give me guff about the Berlin definition of "action roguelike". that is very, VERY often full of action and it's a roguelike

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 15, 2022

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Defend The Rook drat near bought it just from the trailer. But sometimes things don't hold up to scrutiny...

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
CC would almost certainly be Crowd Control, ie. all those nice status effects that slow and disable and such in videogames. So presumably some of the extra effects on your basic attack weren't getting applied to those enemies.

And yeah, Defend the Rook looks pretty cool.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I don't now if you missed it or just forgot, but you can talk to the gambler dude to re-roll the thing he's offering 3 times per run.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Descenders is a pretty unique concept, looks very very fun to watch someone play, and also 'rogue-bike' from its Steam page made me laugh.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The roguelites are returning. Nature is beginning to heal.

:siren: MORE VIDEO GAMES :siren:

GONE VIRAL
Gone Viral is an over-the-top action game with heavy roguelite elements where you fight for your life in a prison arena to entertain a blood-thirsty audience. Rack up your kill count, grab mutations and crazy weapons to change gameplay and get what you need to escape and Go Viral.

ROGUEBOOK
Embrace the challenge of a roguelike deckbuilder with unique mechanics from the developers of Faeria and Richard Garfield, creator of Magic: The Gathering™. Build a team of two heroes, unleash powerful combos and defeat the legends of the Roguebook!

VIVID KNIGHT
Vivid Knight is a roguelike adventure game in which you save your friends from being turned into jewels and combine their abilities to form the ultimate party! Explore an ever-changing dungeon and harness the jewels you collect to defeat the Black Witch!

As usual, votes close at Friday, midnight MST. This time I should actually be able to update on schedule!

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Roguebook, even it does look to be trying to ape Slay the Spire.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Roguebook, I guess? Gone Viral irritated me, and the other one was a bit too kawaii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Roguebook looks competent but kinda meh, Gone Viral is trying too hard, and Vivid Knight is way too enamored with the JRPG aesthetic. Lame choices this go-around.