Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I tried both the demo for Defend the Rook and Roguebook when they were part of the steam demo events. Didn't really care for Defend the Rook but I wishlisted Roguebook so I'll vote for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Richard Garfield made this game. Gonna post my favorite Magic cards in his honor.

:siren: GAMES! :siren:

DOOMED TO HELL
Doomed to Hell is a roguelike-like top-down shooter where you play as Rose, a human in hell who will need to fight all of its monsters in waves of enemies, defeat bosses, and get new weapons to earn back his life on earth.

MOONFALL
Almost extinct and slowly dying, mankind's only hope is to reach the Valley where the broken fragments of the Moon once fell. Manage your squad of travellers through dangerous wastelands in this turn-based Tactical Roguelite.

MIST HUNTER
Mist Hunter - is a blistering fast rogue-like arena shooter. A deadly magic poison runs through your veins, there is no cure and your heart will stop beating in 90 seconds. Fight your enemies, get the highest score and collect antidote to keep going.

As usual, voting closes on Friday at midnight MST.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I think I'd like to see Doomed to Hell.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Felinoid posted:

I think I'd like to see Doomed to Hell.

yes, this.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Turns out hell is a kind of boring place, who knew!

:siren: Democracy is over :siren:

As explained in the video, we're going to be doing something a little different for the next few weeks. Instead of the usual one-offs, I'm going to be doing a short(?) playthough of Prey: Mooncrash. It's a roguelite, honest.

Once I finish that up we'll go back to the usual voting system, but until then I'm taking a break from these smaller games.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

not only is prey mooncrash a roguelite, it's also probably the best one

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I wouldn't even say average game, more like... bare minimum game.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Yeah, it checked all the boxes it needed to be a game, but that was it.

Looking forward to P:MC though, as I've never gotten to see it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

A sad showing. No dungeon, the character the game shoots for is thin gruel... even if it were shooting for "knowing Enter the Gungeon ripoff" you could get kind of mad or annoyed at the stuff it fucks up or how shamelessly it does things EtG did better or whatever, but it's not even trying for that. I wanted to compliment the music but while it gets a little better it's still not got any lasting or honestly varied character except 'decent' either. A game about a shade killing shades in Hell that's barely a shade of anything itself.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Party Bug posted:

I'm going to be doing a short(?) playthough of Prey: Mooncrash. It's a roguelite, honest..
This sounds quite interesting, good idea!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah that looked pretty bland. Maybe if they'd fix the hitboxes and improve the dodge roll it might be a fun timewaster, as it stands seems like its more annoying then fun.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Didn't have enough personality to be worth putting any real time into IMO. Like, just raw stat upgrades is the most boring possible upgrade system, and there wasn't much in the way of weapon, enemy, boss or level variety either.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

After the absolute nothing that was that game, I'd like to cast three votes for Prey: Mooncrash.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
I have some games I'd like to recommend, would it be alright to do that in this thread?

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

dotchan posted:

I have some games I'd like to recommend, would it be alright to do that in this thread?

That would be very alright. I have a big list, I'll add them to it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Have you seen Samurai Bringer?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Party Bug posted:

That would be very alright. I have a big list, I'll add them to it.

Thanks!
All of these are mobile-based rogue-lite deckbuilding dungeon crawlers. I don't know if any of them are available for other platforms.

Call of Lophis (Listed on the app store as "Lophis Rogue-like Card RPG Game, Darkest Dungeon")
How it's played: Navigate paths while avoiding (or braving) the advancing darkness through three stages of increasing difficulty. Beating dungeons unlocks new cards the first time you beat the dungeon with any class and gains meta-currency to buy new classes. (You also gain some meta-currency if you die.)
Positives: If you like cycling through a bunch of cards and playing a ton of them per turn, this game is for you. The first class in particular has a bunch of synergies that lets them make huge plays.
Negatives: Not all of the classes are available for free and it takes forever to accumulate the meta-currency to buy the ones which are if you don't want to drop any money into the game. On top of that, the bosses get increasingly huge HP bars. Even if you can make it through the rest of the dungeon, you will end up dying to the final boss a lot.

Card Crusade: Rogue Dungeon
How it's played: Navigate a dungeon while fighting enemies using your deck. I haven't beaten the dungeon yet so I don't know what that does outside of unlock one of the classes.
Positives: All of the classes are unlockable for free if you meet the unlock conditions, and you can go back to previous floors if you wish to revisit any shops.
Negatives: I can't think of any off the top of my head, but it is in a very old school pixel style if that's not your thing.

Dicey Elementalist
How it's played: Navigate the dungeon to fight enemies, encounter events, and gain treasure. You play the cards you collect by rolling dice. Beating the dungeon (or dying) collects meta-currency towards increasing your characters' base stats and buying consumable potions. You can watch ads to collect bonuses or restart from the last room before you died with progress up to that point intact.
Positives: Multiple classes with unique playstyles.
Negatives: Only two of the classes are available for free.

Dreaming Dimension
How it's played: Navigate the dungeon to fight enemies, encounter events, and gain treasure. Beating dungeons (or dying) unlocks new cards and meta-currency to buy new costumes that, as far as I know, have no gameplay benefit. You can watch ads to gain bonuses or restart the battle up to two times should you fall.
Positives: Multiple classes with unique playstyles and three different types of dungeoneering experience.
Negatives: Not all of the characters are unlockable for free.

Ellrand Tales
How it's played: Navigate paths to fight enemies, encounter events, and gain treasure. Beating the dungeon (or dying) gains two types of meta-currency, one to buy more card-packs or buy/upgrade one of three companion familiars, and the other to upgrade cards if you are impatient about collecting duplicate cards. There's also an achievement system that earns you new cards, card packs, and both types of meta-currency. You can watch ads to gain some money when in shops or refresh the card/relic you stand to gain after a battle.
Positives: It's very easy to get into a flow state where you're just playing cards and blasting through the encounters.
Negatives: The game is not yet in a complete state, as it promises a third playable class and more dungeon content, and the game is not balanced for any stage of the meta-progress as either you're very weak and will die a lot or you sleepwalk through the stages. And, as all games of this type, it's very grindy.

PixelVerse
How it's played: Navigate paths to fight enemies, encounter events, and gain treasure. Beating the dungeon (or dying) gains two types of meta-currency, one that upgrades your town and characters, another that unlocks some other content. There is also an achievement system. You can watch ads to gain more meta-currency.

Tavern Rumble
How it's played: Navigate paths and play your cards in a 3 x 3 grid to attack enemies and block incoming damage. Different classes have different card packs available to use. Beating the dungeon (or dying) collects meta-currency towards buying new characters. You can watch ads to get any number of in-game benefits.
Positives: The grid adds a very interesting layer of strategy to the usual formula of most deckbuilders.
Negatives: It takes forever to unlock everything if you don't want to pay for the meta-currency.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 22, 2022

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

It's Prey! Prey is a good game. Mooncrash seems to be as well.

I know the general structure and goals of the game, but I'm going into Mooncrash mostly blind otherwise, so expect less of an informative playthrough until probably the final runs.

Game Maker's Toolkit did a video on Deathloop/Prey a little while back that inspired this diversion here. It's a nice little comparison between the two and a decent intro to what to expect from Mooncrash.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I think you're the first person I've seen play this game carefree enough to die in the starting scenario (though admittedly the number of people I've watched play this is hardly a large sample size). This is gonna be a fun run. :dance:

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Wave your hands in the air if you feel fine.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

This is the second Prey: Mooncrash I've seen where someone just casually glances over the chlorine trifluoride email and looks away unknowingly. I don't know whether to :magical: or :ohno: at that.

John Drury Clark posted:

It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water—with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals—steel, copper, aluminum, etc.—because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride that protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Just finished Sword of the Necromancer and I really liked it. If Party Bug doesn't get around to showing it off I'll post a more detailed review but I'm definitely putting it on my hidden gems list.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

TOP MOON ESCAPER COMING THROUGH.

I'm thinking after one more of these Prey updates I'll throw in a random roguelite to keep pretending this is a roguelite thread. Which one? Who knows!?

NGDBSS posted:

This is the second Prey: Mooncrash I've seen where someone just casually glances over the chlorine trifluoride email and looks away unknowingly. I don't know whether to :magical: or :ohno: at that.

Oh no.

ultrafilter posted:

Just finished Sword of the Necromancer and I really liked it. If Party Bug doesn't get around to showing it off I'll post a more detailed review but I'm definitely putting it on my hidden gems list.

If you want to post your thoughts that'd be cool. I've actually played a bit of it and found it good but a little janky. This was a long time ago now, if I revisit it I might feel differently.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Just to point out a couple things:
The audiologs are the same from run to run, the one that didn't play was one you'd already picked up in a previous run and listened to then.

You had neuromods just laying around in your inventory at the end there but died without using them. I know you weren't that excited about the couple of cheap abilities you passed over at the start of that character's time in the sun, but since they're permanent unlocks (whereas the neuromod items don't carry over) and you knew you weren't continuing with the run you really might as well have bought one of them.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Part one of the critically acclaimed Mass Driver saga.

Also next week I've got two neat little roguelites to show off, so we'll take a small break from Prey then. For some reason I thought I'd get through Mooncrash much faster than I'm actually getting through it.

malkav11 posted:

Just to point out a couple things:
You had neuromods just laying around in your inventory at the end there but died without using them. I know you weren't that excited about the couple of cheap abilities you passed over at the start of that character's time in the sun, but since they're permanent unlocks (whereas the neuromod items don't carry over) and you knew you weren't continuing with the run you really might as well have bought one of them.

One day I will remember to use both the chipsets and neuromods that I buy. That day may not come for a while.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Party Bug posted:

One day I will remember to use both the chipsets and neuromods that I buy. That day may not come for a while.

When you buy chipsets, they're automatically equipped (up to the limit on your suit, which is 3 for everyone but the engineer). Ones you pick up in the level, however, are not.

Also now that you've found the proper mimic portal and not just a nightmare in a tube (remember where he is though, easy scanning later), welcome to the most involved escape method. As you've seen, the escape pod mostly only requires getting to a place, the shuttle requires getting to a place and having spent a single neuromod on that character for the purpose, and the mass driver requires some loot you can always easily find in the same map and the ability to make a fairly lenient timed A->B without getting body-blocked by a roaming nightmare or whatever (yes this happened to me once). There is of course a fifth escape method to go with five characters, but it's about as easy as the other ones with just one small catch: it's character-locked to the new person you just picked up. Meanwhile the mimic portal flat out requires both repair and hack, and not only are those skills on two different characters, but the person you need to escape through there at least once isn't either of them. Just as you surmised, you have to run those other two characters through without resetting the simulation before hucking the volunteer at the (now fixed) problem.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
You haven't run into a GLOO gun, but you did pick up the fabrication plans for one this run.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Party Bug: Gets golden chipset, does not open inventory to apply it.
Also Party Bug: Clicks 'Open' on the Weapon Storage screen, causing a visible panel to slide open and reveal something cool. Walks off without looking at it.
Also also Party Bug: Fails to notice more chipsets on desks and stuff, or use the other ones that do get picked up.

:psyduck: Clearly whoever you were talking to during these recordings were not doing a very good job helping you out.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The memorial day double feature.

One of these games is pretty good, I bet you can guess which one.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Shotgun King was pretty cool and not too long either. The developer seems to have some kind of Dungeon Keeper-esque roguelike in the works, interested to see how that works out.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Shotgun King is very cool and really nicely done except for the part where the shields mechanic that exists to help stop you doing something stupid/run-ending will not, say, stop you from killing a pawn in front of a rook/bishop/queen that then kills you instantly (even though it WILL make you use up the shields to try shooting something with only 1 HP from a distance, which TBF can fail if you're trying from too far away and/or have taken too many blunderbusses). It's ended an embarrassing number of my runs that otherwise felt like they were going swimmingly and it seems like this would be easy to fix.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Back to the moon again.

The good news is I've run through the backlog, now I actually have to learn and improve.

Just kidding I'm still not going to equip a chipset.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

A couple quick functionality tips on the two new friends you've just gotten. They will not fight for you, and enemies won't attack them directly, but they can sure get in the way, and I've yet to test whether the operator can die from enemy fire and what would happen if it did. While the prompt will show up to unsummon them by looking at them and holding the interact button (F on keyboard by default), you can also just use the ability again to instantly give that signal, whether you're looking at them or not. This same behaviour with the second "cast" also shows up on the Engineer's turret if the latest one is still unbroken, causing what seem at first to be misfires of the ability when attempting to put it somewhere else, so beware.

The other tip has to do with what the operator is for, so if you want to figure all that out on your own, don't read this: The choice of the name MULE is very much not a coincidence. It's your pack mule with a lot of inventory space for things you don't need right now, or even this run, as its inventory carries over to different runs until the simulation is reset. Most people quickly figure out that this means they can dump all the good guns and medkits and everything they've found in there just before escaping, then retrieve them immediately on starting with the next character, cutting down on sim points spent on kitting out every single run. Though you will always have to rebuy any chipsets, jetpack, or psychoscope, as those aren't "inventory" items that can be transferred (or show up on your corpses). I've also found the MULE is a good place to store things like the various trauma treatment meds or control modules that you aren't going to be using in the heat of battle, to help with inventory bloat.

Oh, and regarding jetpacks, yeah the first one in a sim to pick it up takes it for themselves, but you can find others in random loot and leave them alone for other characters (if you notice and aren't just mashing the loot button), or more realistically you get the blueprint for them at some point and can just spend 1000 sim points each run (barring the first run each sim reset) slapping one on immediately. For me, that cost is very worth it, especially combined with the one chipset that enhances it. Fun little functionality tip for the jetpack as well: I don't know if this was added with Mooncrash or was in the base game and I just never triggered it, but with the Mooncrash jetpack you can double-tap the jump button while holding a direction to do a quick jet-dodge in that direction, using up something like 52% of your thrust bar (so you can't quite do two in a row, and need to let it refill slightly from being on the ground before you do it again). If you do it after heroically sprint-jumping off a high place you can even do a double-tap-and-hold (similar to the motions you may be used to from vaulting things while running in various other games like Sleeping Dogs or Mass Effect 2+) that keeps your high forward momentum from the dodge as you continue hovering; very handy for getting across the crater quickly without bothering the shark.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

OK, so, Sword of the Necromancer. It's not a mechanically polished experience, and if you go in expecting your undead army to destroy everything, you'll be disappointed. But it's a solid enough dungeon crawler with randomly generated levels and a configurable death penalty. At the high end, you've got permadeath, and at the low end you lose all your progress towards the next level. You can find various pieces of equipment throughout the dungeon and there's a basic crafting system for enhancing it, but you only have seven inventory slots (three equipped), and your gear is competing with your summoned monsters and consumables. I think that was my biggest annoyance, but it's not really a major issue.

For me, starting out was a bit rough, but once I figured out how to work within the game's systems it got a lot easier. For the last 60% of the game I basically just ignored the undead monster mechanism and treated it like a plain vanilla dungeon crawler. I don't think that was supposed to be the optimal strategy, but it worked for me.

Where the game really shines is in the story. As you progress through the dungeon you get flashbacks that explain everything that happened before the game. The art, writing and voice acting are all extremely well done and you get a real sense of who the characters are despite the limited time you spend with them.

Highly recommended, particularly on sale.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

An entire month went by where I just forgot I was doing an LP. But we're back! With a new escape too no less, wow!

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Tips for dealing with "Moonshark (or other annoying thing) too close to typhon gate":
Evasion - as a couple sticky notes in the game will tell you, ||typhon gates can be temporarily shut off on one side by a button, and on the other by zapping the hell out of the station. Zapgun is easiest and effective, and EMP grenades can do in a pinch if you're good with the throw. I forget the results of testing the engineer's lightning ball psy ability, and weapons with an electric mod, but I would be surprised if they didn't.||
`Fighting - the Mooshark, like the Harvester, is armored. This means that standard ballistic weapons (pistol & shotgun) are mostly just going to scratch the surface. ||You know what's not affected by armored? The Q-Beam. It retains its godweapon status in the DLC, though you will of course have to have an upgraded Q-Beam and/or a crapton of ammo to down a high level Moonshark. Harvesters meanwhile are complete pushovers with the Q-Beam, as they're slow and have surprisingly little health under that armor.|| Oh, and don't forget your abilities. Use that poo poo with wild abandon, because there's psy hypos and science operators all over the drat place.

Also wow I've never seen the datavault bug that bad. There's a weird contraption that's supposed to come down to be the launch cradle for the operator, and sometimes it'll skip animating that and just appear with a pop when you put the operator in place. I've not seen it just plain not be there for the whole thing before. :psyduck:

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Reminder that we play roguelites around here sometimes.

This one is okay.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The second part! It's kind of like the first one.

Considering Prey is taking so long I've decided I'm going to start alternating between regular roguelites and Mooncrash updates. So :siren: voting is back. :siren:
Pick a game, if you dare:

LOOPMANCER
Loopmancer is a 3D platformer roguelite action game with realistic graphics that takes place in a cyberpunk universe. Players play as a detective who comes back to life after an unexpected death, and battle in this lifelike and futuristic city of the east.

DEAD ESTATE
Cornered with nowhere else to turn, can you escape the monster-filled mansion? Dead Estate is a gory, fast-paced, challenging roguelike shooter, with a heavy emphasis on horror influences.

BEAT INVADERS
Beat Invaders is an unique space action roguelite! Blast your way through enemy fleets, unlock skills, items, ships, and upgrade them! Blast away to a pushing soundtrack and neon visuals!

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Eyes in the Dark looks rad, and frankly so do all three options for the voting so I think I'm gonna be happy whatever way it goes, but Beat Invaders caught my attention that little bit extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Oh yeah, all three look fun as hell, but Beat Invaders seems to has the most unique twist on the rogue-like genre.