Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

They all look like winners but I gotta go with Dead Estate. Beat Invaders doesn't look bad and I'd never turn down a snazzy Galaga roguelike against any old chaff but this ain't an "any old chaff" lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Where has Brian gone?

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Another recommendation in the Rogue Legacy 2d slasher vein is Skul: The Hero Slayer. Play as a tiny skeleton swapping skulls out for different builds and effects – I’m not very good at it, but I’ll hop in for a run every now and again because it feels great to play.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Loopmancer looks pretty slick.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

These dudes are invading space!!!

:siren: NEXT GAME STATION :siren:

COLT CANYON
Shoot your way through a hostile canyon full of hidden treasures, weapons, obstacles and all kinds of bloodthirsty scum! Colt Canyon is a stylish pixel art shooter with roguelike elements and real-time combat where you save your kidnapped partner from the ruthless bandits.

QUANTUM PROTOCOL
A deckbuilding card game where it's always your turn. Play as the master hackers of Quantum and take on the most dangerous malware in the world. Every action matters. Make plays, upgrade your deck, and break the enemy board!

BRUTAL ORCHESTRA
Brutal Orchestra is a Turn-Based Roguelike Strategy Game. You died, someone killed you. You are now in Purgatory and you will never escape. Make a deal with the "demon" Bosch and set off into this bastardous world finding ​all manner of demented friends and foes on your quest to get petty revenge.

Voting to close by next Prey update. Which should be next Monday. Maybe.

Brain In A Jar posted:

Another recommendation in the Rogue Legacy 2d slasher vein is Skul: The Hero Slayer. Play as a tiny skeleton swapping skulls out for different builds and effects – I’m not very good at it, but I’ll hop in for a run every now and again because it feels great to play.

I gave this one a shot a while back and never got too far. I think I was just bad at it, but I'd be down to try again. I'm thinking I'll make an all action platformer voting list next time, since I've also wanted to try out Have A Nice Death.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Quantum Protocol looks the most interesting of the lot.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Quantum Protocol looks most interesting from a mechanical perspective, but I really want to see where the story of Brutal Orchestra goes.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I'm gonna say Colt Canyon just so someone can carry s tie-breaker. Also because it looks neat.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

might just be me but there's something off with all of these trailers

but of the choices and the ways they might disappoint or live up to their promise I'll pick Brutal Orchestra

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

I always wonder if birds are so good how come there's no birds 2???

It's been literally months since I played Prey but next recording session I'm going to try those hot tips everyone's been dropping. Moonshark doesn't stand a chance.

In other news, our next game is...

:siren: Brutal Orchestra! :siren:

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Not a bad game, even if it only took two days to beat. Still got a lot of items and party members to unlock though.

In other news, Cult of the Lamb is real good and probably will never get covered in this series because I'm sure everyone already knows just how real good it is. But it's real good.

PLATEUP!
I make a meal for my friends try to make it delicious,
Try to keep it nutritious, create wonderful dishes,
Not one of them thinks about the way I feel,
Nobody complements the meal.

CURSED TO GOLF
Cursed to Golf is a challenging golf-like adventure where every shot counts. Players are tasked with making it out of Golf Purgatory to become a Golfing Legend. With insane hazards, otherworldly power-ups and tons of replayability, will you make it back alive or will you forever be… Cursed to Golf!?

ANCIENT GODS
Ancient Gods is a fusion of hero collector and deck-building rogue-lite where you collect your character, fight, and experience exciting events. Any character can use all the cards, combine them with the character's passive for ultimate power on your exploration.

Cast ye votes. Voting closes Monday.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Brutal Orchestra is a frickin' fever dream of a game.

Also, I'm voting for Cursed to Golf.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Absolutely, 100% Plate Up! No contest, y'all and Party Bug need to see this game in action.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Cursed to Golf looks very neat.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Finally getting stuff done. Kind of.

Also I tried to kill the Moonshark with the Q-Beam and got blasted. I'm gonna get him one day...

Lastly, it looks like the next roguelite will be...CURSED TO GOLF!

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Okay, further tips for Moonshark fighting/avoiding.
Fighting: He has two attacks which he alternates between. One where he slams the ground and the ground hurts you, and one where he uses telekinesis to huck some rocks at you. As far as I can remember, both of these can inflict bleeding if you get hit, so...well, just don't, and/or have some hemorrhage kits on hand. Pick your spot for fighting him, on an elevated platform or solid rock formation, with something you can duck behind when he's gonna throw poo poo. I've found you can get most or all of a mag into him between each hide if you've got the timing for when you need to start skedaddling down. Repeat until dead, not forgetting to launch any abilities you have at him as often as you can (security officer's time dilation can turn the Q-Bea into a buzzsaw, obviously, but every extra bit of fire/kinetic/whatever damage you do with other ablities is ammo you don't have to spend). If you run out of Q-Beam ammo, you only need to damage him down to where the health bar is green and he'll explode, but you're going to be racing the clock with that as it will "wear off" slowly.

Avoiding: #1 rule: Stay off the sand. Literally anything else is fine to walk on. Dark rocks, platforms, supply boxes, whatever. The jetpack is obviously key to this, and it's far from infallible when you're testing the boundaries and the game decides one of your toes is a little too close to what it considers moon dust, but it's still worth trying for whenever you can. Also, fun trivia, the jetpack doesn't make bleeding worse, but jumping into the air to jetpack does. I have, I think once, walked over an edge and jetpacked from the fall without taking bleeding damage, though obviously you get pitiful distance doing that, so judge such maneuvers carefully.

Relatedly, literally anything that touches the sand (that isn't a typhon) the Moon Shark will react to. Nudge a box onto the sand? You hecked up and Moonshark is a-comin'. So when you want him to gently caress off, try throwing some random physics object or grenade (Typhon Lure for slightly longer lasting effect) as far as you can onto the sand. It's not going to get him far inside of Moonworks, but the reduced gravity in the Crater makes this surprisingly viable. And definitely don't forget being able to zap the typhon gate consoles.

More general: Also, while the moonshark will respawn with a corruption level increase, making getting rid of him a touch futile, if you're packing a ton of time loops you can keep him (and everything else) dead so long as you can avoid the corruption level increase (which btw doesn't actually take effect until the whole wibbly-wobbly sequence finishes, meaning even when you hear the sound that signals it, you can pop into your inventory and bang a time loop down to avoid it). Gaming the system a bit, but considering the costs involved, whether replicated or bought, I think they've specifically allowed for it.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

This game is incredibly long so I'll probably just leave it as a one-off. It's not bad, but I've never been a fan of golf games.

SCOURGEBRINGER
ScourgeBringer is a fast-paced free-moving roguelite platformer. Help Kyhra to explore the unknown and slash her way through ancient machines guarding the seal of her past, and maybe the redemption of humanity.

FORWARD: ESCAPE THE FOLD
FORWARD: Escape the Fold was created to be the perfect bitesized roguelike dungeon crawler. Choose your champion and face a relentless crawl through the card-based dungeons, collect items to power your abilities and defeat the gruesome monsters facing you. But keep going FORWARD!

PIRATES OUTLAWS
Pirates Outlaws is a roguelike card game in which you navigate dangerous seas and challenge their masters. Your expedition will be full of ambushes and will not be easy. Build your deck and combos to become a reputed pirate.

Voting closes next Monday!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Scourgebringer is worth showing off.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Seconding Scourgebringer, and Cursed to Golf does seem like it could get a little tedious.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

None of those look particularly appetizing to me right now, so I'll just cast a comedy vote for more Cursed to Golf.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

This one is for all the haters who tried to keep me down, who said I could never do it, that the mass driver was too powerful for me. Apologize to me. APOLOGIZE

The next game is Scourgebringer, which will probably be delayed a bit.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I mean, I'd peg the mass driver as the second hardest of the five, but that's mostly by comparison to how bloody easy everything except the mimic portal is. And even the mimic portal's really just more involved than difficult.

The real difficulty is just getting to places while everything tries to murder you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

new thread, in case anyone is following via bookmarks:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023132