Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Metallic Child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's a demo/prologue for Sword of the Necromancer. It was enough to sell me on the game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Have you seen Samurai Bringer?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Just finished Sword of the Necromancer and I really liked it. If Party Bug doesn't get around to showing it off I'll post a more detailed review but I'm definitely putting it on my hidden gems list.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Just finished Sword of the Necromancer and I really liked it. If Party Bug doesn't get around to showing it off I'll post a more detailed review but I'm definitely putting it on my hidden gems list.

OK, so, Sword of the Necromancer. It's not a mechanically polished experience, and if you go in expecting your undead army to destroy everything, you'll be disappointed. But it's a solid enough dungeon crawler with randomly generated levels and a configurable death penalty. At the high end, you've got permadeath, and at the low end you lose all your progress towards the next level. You can find various pieces of equipment throughout the dungeon and there's a basic crafting system for enhancing it, but you only have seven inventory slots (three equipped), and your gear is competing with your summoned monsters and consumables. I think that was my biggest annoyance, but it's not really a major issue.

For me, starting out was a bit rough, but once I figured out how to work within the game's systems it got a lot easier. For the last 60% of the game I basically just ignored the undead monster mechanism and treated it like a plain vanilla dungeon crawler. I don't think that was supposed to be the optimal strategy, but it worked for me.

Where the game really shines is in the story. As you progress through the dungeon you get flashbacks that explain everything that happened before the game. The art, writing and voice acting are all extremely well done and you get a real sense of who the characters are despite the limited time you spend with them.

Highly recommended, particularly on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Scourgebringer is worth showing off.