Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Rising Hell, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Good lord, Dreamscaper is the only one that didn't make me go "I want to see exactly zero more of this". Rogue Lords has an interesting description, sure, but that description tells you more than the entire bloody trailer does, which only makes me wonder what drek they're hiding. And it feels there's a weird lag in the Gunnhildr trailer between firing projectile weapons and the projectiles actually spawning (often not on the gun barrel but on the point where they'd fired, because they'd moved in the meantime) that just bugged the hell out of me watching it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I couldn't decide whether to vote for Pawnbarian or Ruin Raiders because they both look interesting, but it turns out Pawnbarian has a demo and Ruin Raiders doesn't. So I'm voting for Ruin Raiders.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Honestly I'd be fine with seeing FiTS (such a good acronym for the title, goddamn) or Sword of the Necromancer, so I'll put in a balancing vote for Sword of the Necromancer. I'm just too much of a sucker for a love story. :kimchi:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I kinda want to see Slay the SpARRR! Or I guess they call it Pirates Outlaws, whatever.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

While I've seen Going Under before, I wanna see it again, because it's rad. Also apparently there's been an update since I last saw it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I don't know if I'm just feeling bitchy today, but Samurai Might & Magic crossed with the worst part of FTL put me to goddamn sleep, and only one of the three trailers didn't make me immediately hate them. Curse of the Dead Gods gets my vote not only for looking like it doesn't suck, but actually seeming to have a hint of potential.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Blade Assault, definitely.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I am morbidly fascinated to see how Descenders could possibly do roguelike bike riding.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Roguebook, even it does look to be trying to ape Slay the Spire.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I think I'd like to see Doomed to Hell.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

After the absolute nothing that was that game, I'd like to cast three votes for Prey: Mooncrash.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I think you're the first person I've seen play this game carefree enough to die in the starting scenario (though admittedly the number of people I've watched play this is hardly a large sample size). This is gonna be a fun run. :dance:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Party Bug posted:

One day I will remember to use both the chipsets and neuromods that I buy. That day may not come for a while.

When you buy chipsets, they're automatically equipped (up to the limit on your suit, which is 3 for everyone but the engineer). Ones you pick up in the level, however, are not.

Also now that you've found the proper mimic portal and not just a nightmare in a tube (remember where he is though, easy scanning later), welcome to the most involved escape method. As you've seen, the escape pod mostly only requires getting to a place, the shuttle requires getting to a place and having spent a single neuromod on that character for the purpose, and the mass driver requires some loot you can always easily find in the same map and the ability to make a fairly lenient timed A->B without getting body-blocked by a roaming nightmare or whatever (yes this happened to me once). There is of course a fifth escape method to go with five characters, but it's about as easy as the other ones with just one small catch: it's character-locked to the new person you just picked up. Meanwhile the mimic portal flat out requires both repair and hack, and not only are those skills on two different characters, but the person you need to escape through there at least once isn't either of them. Just as you surmised, you have to run those other two characters through without resetting the simulation before hucking the volunteer at the (now fixed) problem.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

A couple quick functionality tips on the two new friends you've just gotten. They will not fight for you, and enemies won't attack them directly, but they can sure get in the way, and I've yet to test whether the operator can die from enemy fire and what would happen if it did. While the prompt will show up to unsummon them by looking at them and holding the interact button (F on keyboard by default), you can also just use the ability again to instantly give that signal, whether you're looking at them or not. This same behaviour with the second "cast" also shows up on the Engineer's turret if the latest one is still unbroken, causing what seem at first to be misfires of the ability when attempting to put it somewhere else, so beware.

The other tip has to do with what the operator is for, so if you want to figure all that out on your own, don't read this: The choice of the name MULE is very much not a coincidence. It's your pack mule with a lot of inventory space for things you don't need right now, or even this run, as its inventory carries over to different runs until the simulation is reset. Most people quickly figure out that this means they can dump all the good guns and medkits and everything they've found in there just before escaping, then retrieve them immediately on starting with the next character, cutting down on sim points spent on kitting out every single run. Though you will always have to rebuy any chipsets, jetpack, or psychoscope, as those aren't "inventory" items that can be transferred (or show up on your corpses). I've also found the MULE is a good place to store things like the various trauma treatment meds or control modules that you aren't going to be using in the heat of battle, to help with inventory bloat.

Oh, and regarding jetpacks, yeah the first one in a sim to pick it up takes it for themselves, but you can find others in random loot and leave them alone for other characters (if you notice and aren't just mashing the loot button), or more realistically you get the blueprint for them at some point and can just spend 1000 sim points each run (barring the first run each sim reset) slapping one on immediately. For me, that cost is very worth it, especially combined with the one chipset that enhances it. Fun little functionality tip for the jetpack as well: I don't know if this was added with Mooncrash or was in the base game and I just never triggered it, but with the Mooncrash jetpack you can double-tap the jump button while holding a direction to do a quick jet-dodge in that direction, using up something like 52% of your thrust bar (so you can't quite do two in a row, and need to let it refill slightly from being on the ground before you do it again). If you do it after heroically sprint-jumping off a high place you can even do a double-tap-and-hold (similar to the motions you may be used to from vaulting things while running in various other games like Sleeping Dogs or Mass Effect 2+) that keeps your high forward momentum from the dodge as you continue hovering; very handy for getting across the crater quickly without bothering the shark.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Tips for dealing with "Moonshark (or other annoying thing) too close to typhon gate":
Evasion - as a couple sticky notes in the game will tell you, ||typhon gates can be temporarily shut off on one side by a button, and on the other by zapping the hell out of the station. Zapgun is easiest and effective, and EMP grenades can do in a pinch if you're good with the throw. I forget the results of testing the engineer's lightning ball psy ability, and weapons with an electric mod, but I would be surprised if they didn't.||
`Fighting - the Mooshark, like the Harvester, is armored. This means that standard ballistic weapons (pistol & shotgun) are mostly just going to scratch the surface. ||You know what's not affected by armored? The Q-Beam. It retains its godweapon status in the DLC, though you will of course have to have an upgraded Q-Beam and/or a crapton of ammo to down a high level Moonshark. Harvesters meanwhile are complete pushovers with the Q-Beam, as they're slow and have surprisingly little health under that armor.|| Oh, and don't forget your abilities. Use that poo poo with wild abandon, because there's psy hypos and science operators all over the drat place.

Also wow I've never seen the datavault bug that bad. There's a weird contraption that's supposed to come down to be the launch cradle for the operator, and sometimes it'll skip animating that and just appear with a pop when you put the operator in place. I've not seen it just plain not be there for the whole thing before. :psyduck:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Eyes in the Dark looks rad, and frankly so do all three options for the voting so I think I'm gonna be happy whatever way it goes, but Beat Invaders caught my attention that little bit extra.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Quantum Protocol looks most interesting from a mechanical perspective, but I really want to see where the story of Brutal Orchestra goes.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Cursed to Golf looks very neat.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Okay, further tips for Moonshark fighting/avoiding.
Fighting: He has two attacks which he alternates between. One where he slams the ground and the ground hurts you, and one where he uses telekinesis to huck some rocks at you. As far as I can remember, both of these can inflict bleeding if you get hit, so...well, just don't, and/or have some hemorrhage kits on hand. Pick your spot for fighting him, on an elevated platform or solid rock formation, with something you can duck behind when he's gonna throw poo poo. I've found you can get most or all of a mag into him between each hide if you've got the timing for when you need to start skedaddling down. Repeat until dead, not forgetting to launch any abilities you have at him as often as you can (security officer's time dilation can turn the Q-Bea into a buzzsaw, obviously, but every extra bit of fire/kinetic/whatever damage you do with other ablities is ammo you don't have to spend). If you run out of Q-Beam ammo, you only need to damage him down to where the health bar is green and he'll explode, but you're going to be racing the clock with that as it will "wear off" slowly.

Avoiding: #1 rule: Stay off the sand. Literally anything else is fine to walk on. Dark rocks, platforms, supply boxes, whatever. The jetpack is obviously key to this, and it's far from infallible when you're testing the boundaries and the game decides one of your toes is a little too close to what it considers moon dust, but it's still worth trying for whenever you can. Also, fun trivia, the jetpack doesn't make bleeding worse, but jumping into the air to jetpack does. I have, I think once, walked over an edge and jetpacked from the fall without taking bleeding damage, though obviously you get pitiful distance doing that, so judge such maneuvers carefully.

Relatedly, literally anything that touches the sand (that isn't a typhon) the Moon Shark will react to. Nudge a box onto the sand? You hecked up and Moonshark is a-comin'. So when you want him to gently caress off, try throwing some random physics object or grenade (Typhon Lure for slightly longer lasting effect) as far as you can onto the sand. It's not going to get him far inside of Moonworks, but the reduced gravity in the Crater makes this surprisingly viable. And definitely don't forget being able to zap the typhon gate consoles.

More general: Also, while the moonshark will respawn with a corruption level increase, making getting rid of him a touch futile, if you're packing a ton of time loops you can keep him (and everything else) dead so long as you can avoid the corruption level increase (which btw doesn't actually take effect until the whole wibbly-wobbly sequence finishes, meaning even when you hear the sound that signals it, you can pop into your inventory and bang a time loop down to avoid it). Gaming the system a bit, but considering the costs involved, whether replicated or bought, I think they've specifically allowed for it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

None of those look particularly appetizing to me right now, so I'll just cast a comedy vote for more Cursed to Golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I mean, I'd peg the mass driver as the second hardest of the five, but that's mostly by comparison to how bloody easy everything except the mimic portal is. And even the mimic portal's really just more involved than difficult.

The real difficulty is just getting to places while everything tries to murder you. :v: