Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Wallet posted:

I made another thing with preserved plant stuff.

It started because I had a bunch of chunks of light pink marble I wanted to mess with. I laid out the marble and some branches on a bit of plywood and then epoxied the marble down (the colorful things are just spacer blocks).

Since I really didn't want to try and cut floral foam to fill all the gaps, I decided to experiment with expanding foam; I faced the pieces of marble with masking tape and then wrapped all of the branches in it as well. I used whatever formulation of Great Stuff it is that is supposed to expand the least.

It actually worked pretty well. After it expanded I just cut (with some little hand saws) and sanded it back down to be approximately flush with the marble, took the tape off the marble, and sliced the top half of the tape coffin off each piece of wood. Basically indistinguishable from floral foam once you put moss on top of it. Here it is all mossed up.

It's living in this weird desk I made.

The doors on the cabinet part aren't actually attached because I ordered the wrong hinges and now I'm waiting for the right ones :ssh: And here's the thing:

I wasn't super pleased with the preserved flowers I got in, but I think it turned out alrightish. Might mess with it more later—I should have used more marble but I underestimated how much it would be shrunk once the moss went on.

this is so sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU