Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

I won't believe we'll ever beat the pats until it happens.

I have been conditioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Last year's game was a baffling outcome

I think the Chargers are like 6 point favorites, which historically means they other team wins straight up like a quarter of the time, which sounds about right. Patriots really shouldn't win this game without turnover luck, but hey, bullshit happens.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Pats only won last time because of a historically inept special teams performance

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nodoze posted:

The Pats only won last time because of a historically inept special teams performance

Yea, what are the odds that the Chargers have a historically inept special teams performance again?!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

And a really good defensive effort against Herbert! The offense was about as bad as could be in a game that you score 45 points in though, which again, weird.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

a neat cape posted:

I won't believe we'll ever beat the pats until it happens.

I have been conditioned

There's enough to think that Things Are Different Now but the pats are gonna run all over them and McCorkle is going to throw checkdowns and screens very efficiently it's going to be so annoying

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I think the Patriots are a bad matchup for the Chargers so it could be a really good game.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, what are the odds that the Chargers have a historically inept special teams performance again?!

Huh, I hadn't paid any attention to it, but yeah.... by DVOA, they're the worst ST in the NFL again this year.

Huh.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That one was umm, lets say tough to top

Also that game featured a garbage time Jarrett Stidham to Gunner TD pass IIRC

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Kalli posted:

Huh, I hadn't paid any attention to it, but yeah.... by DVOA, they're the worst ST in the NFL again this year.

Huh.

Three kicker might be worse than badgley and they start every drive at the 15 yard line because the kick returners are slow and bad

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chucktesla posted:

Three kicker might be worse than badgley and they start every drive at the 15 yard line because the kick returners are slow and bad

We signed a new returner!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SKULL.GIF posted:

No one is anticipating watching the 6-1 Packers play the 7-0 Cardinals?

I'm loving stoked. They've played some good games over the years. GOTW for me. I also get to watch an entire Cards game, which is rare living in TX.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Oh right we signed the guy who was too depressed to keep playing for the Texans. No not Randall Cobb, the other guy. No not Whitney Merciless, the other guy. Andre Roberts

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

SKULL.GIF posted:

No one is anticipating watching the 6-1 Packers play the 7-0 Cardinals?

Kinda sucks Adams probably won't be able to play.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

this loving owns, I'm enjoying my dipshit coworkers qq'ing about him not being humble enough or whatever

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Kinda sucks Adams probably won't be able to play.

The LaFleur Packers are 6-0 without Adams. Furthermore, Rodgers performed markedly better in these 6 games :q:

Honestly the Packers being down a bunch of defensive starters probably matters more here. I don't see a way this game won't be a shootout.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Steelers job is probably one of the best NFL coaching jobs on top of just being a NFL head coach, since the front office is pretty drat competent at getting good players and the division is usually a pushover (though that's probably out the window for the foreseeable future now that the Browns and Bengals are good). Only real downsides are the entitled fanbase and the big fat lump of garbage at QB.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ben's gonna be gone next year (pretty sure at least), so then we get to start the clock on how long do they go before they bring him back for the team hof / ring of honor ceremony and why will it be a game in 2027 against the Ravens that will have 9 personal fouls called.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Steelers really should make a serious run at trying to acquire Russell Wilson for next year.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Ben's gonna be gone next year (pretty sure at least), so then we get to start the clock on how long do they go before they bring him back for the team hof / ring of honor ceremony and why will it be a game in 2027 against the Ravens that will have 9 personal fouls called.

Would love for Ben to have the audacity to try to stick around another year. Love to see how ugly that situation would get.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Packers haven't really been shooting out at all recently. In fact they haven't even broken 27 points since the start of this month.

Granted they haven't needed to but still. There were even outgained by the hapless WFT.

I'm not saying they aren't capable of doing so because I'm sure they are but recently they've been scoring relatively normal amounts of points and it's been their defense playing quite well.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Play posted:

Granted they haven't needed to but still.

This is the biggest part of it I think. They haven't had an urgent need to score outside the 49ers and Bengals games, and even then they were able to move within field goal range with ease. Given how LaFleur has approached the preseason (... and week 1), I think the team has been taking it easy considering the 17-game season and high likelihood of not getting a playoff bye.

There was a period during the previous decade where the Packers offense could/would score nearly instantly and all it meant was the defense got fatigued and exhausted by being on the field all the time.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Fifty Three posted:

this loving owns, I'm enjoying my dipshit coworkers qq'ing about him not being humble enough or whatever

Lol college fans think these jobs are so prestigious when they require you go deal with so much more horseshit than is necessary and require a whole different skillset. You basically have to be a huckster and spend as much time screwing over kids (or in PSU's case delete the 'over) than you do preparing the X and Os of the team, to be a good college coach.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

seiferguy posted:

The Steelers really should make a serious run at trying to acquire Russell Wilson for next year.

I can't believe you'd put this kind of evil energy out into the world, what the actual gently caress

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

pasaluki posted:

Lol college fans think these jobs are so prestigious when they require you go deal with so much more horseshit than is necessary and require a whole different skillset. You basically have to be a huckster and spend as much time screwing over kids (or in PSU's case delete the 'over) than you do preparing the X and Os of the team, to be a good college coach.

The only upside to college coaching is they'll pay you double an NFL coach. Ya know because they don't have to pay anyone else.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1453089786365939721?s=20

\/\/\/ lmao beat you by less then a second, your post popped up right as mine displayed.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

lol packers

efb

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

drat this is a great answer

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

More Ben Baldwin posting:

Pretty bad for both eye test and actual advanced stats if you're telling me the Bears OL is average.

On the other hand, lol Chiefs Dline.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Am I taking crazy pills or does the leisurely dropback advocated by this dude end with Darnold getting mashed into the turf?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

wandler20 posted:

\/\/\/ lmao beat you by less then a second, your post popped up right as mine displayed.

Sounds like it's morphing into a week 7 game

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Am I taking crazy pills or does the leisurely dropback advocated by this dude end with Darnold getting mashed into the turf?

No I noticed it too. "He needs to be more patient and take a longer drop back" (ignores defender six inches from Darnold on what he says is an early throw)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

He isn't advocating for a leisurely drop back. However, that play is not designed for a three step drop. He should have taken five steps, and if the protection isn't set for a 5 step drop, it should be.

A bigger problem is that they're calling a play that takes 5 seconds to develop in the shadow of their own endzone with a quarterback who is seeing ghosts. Yeah, Darnold needs to work on getting his dropbacks in better sync with the playcalls, but whoever the gently caress is calling the plays in Charlotte needs to work on their situational playcalling.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

There's one guy in the DL rotation who can pass rush (and he's missed a couple of weeks), and one guy who at least does his own job on run D or used to when surrounded by some sort of NFL talent.

They are not the same person, I don't know if that part is good or bad. I do know the overall thing is ugly as all hell.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FUCKFACE MORON posted:

Is there any other bigger chickenshit in NFL head coaching history than Bobby Petrino?

Bobby Petrino reminds me of when my father quit his job at the shipyard after finally having it out with the President of the company, a tremendously deceitful dickhead. He said something that always resonated with me:

"The worst thing about people with no integrity, is that when you tell them, to their face, that they have no integrity, they don't have the goddamned decency to get angry about it like you or me, because they know they have no integrity, and don't see a problem with it"

Dude ended getting his though, got fired by the yard owner in possibly the most chickenshit manner I've ever heard of. He went home for vacation for 3 weeks (he was a Brit), and while he was gone the company didn't renew his work visa. They didn't tell him.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kalli posted:

More Ben Baldwin posting:

Pretty bad for both eye test and actual advanced stats if you're telling me the Bears OL is average.

forgive me for thinking these Ravens rankings are extremely fuckin suspect

Nov 6, 2002

Everything about those ratings is suspect.

If we take two crummy ranking systems and combine them surely the output will somehow be better than the sum of their parts!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

those numbers aren't any good. here's good number

https://twitter.com/secretbase/status/1453029002768261123?s=21

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Would love for Ben to have the audacity to try to stick around another year. Love to see how ugly that situation would get.

He's a FA after this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Mr. Nice! posted:

He isn't advocating for a leisurely drop back. However, that play is not designed for a three step drop. He should have taken five steps, and if the protection isn't set for a 5 step drop, it should be.

A bigger problem is that they're calling a play that takes 5 seconds to develop in the shadow of their own endzone with a quarterback who is seeing ghosts. Yeah, Darnold needs to work on getting his dropbacks in better sync with the playcalls, but whoever the gently caress is calling the plays in Charlotte needs to work on their situational playcalling.

I see what you're saying but the ghosts Darnold's seeing there are real, and big. It's just weird to me that what looks like a play calling failure is presented as a player failure when it seems like his only crime there is instinctually knowing that his line isn't going to hold up.

Thankfully, I'm not sufficiently cursed to really study a lot of Darnold film so perhaps this is just a bad example of a real flaw.