Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bust Rodd posted:

What ratings? Netflix almost never releases anything close to viewer metrics, anyone claiming they know how many people watched the show would have to be literally working for Netflix, right? If Netflix released viewership for this by episode that would be a first, wouldn’t it?

Personally I made it to the Pierot Le Foux episode, checked my phone as it was starting and saw the series had been cancelled, looked back at my TV completely deflated and just turned it off. I still don’t know it ends tbh, but I genuinely really liked this show (besides the pilot which I honestly did hate)

Edit: researching on Forbes, it appears that we know it clocked about 74 million hours viewed, but that viewership substantially dropped off after 3 weeks… which… like yeah, everyone on Earth who wanted to watch it watched it at launch. Why would we still be watching it 3 weeks later?
I mean it was still trending on Netflix today (in the UK, at least), so at least some people still seem to be watching or rewatching.

I think that the online backlash probably contributed to the cancellation. It wasn't just poor ratings. Of course there's creative decisions that merited criticism, but given how vitrolic it was, maybe Netflix decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Arc Hammer posted:

I really hate the "dump a whole season at once" method of streaming. Even mediocre shows like Book of Boba Fett or Loki maintain more engagement than Netflix dumps because the weekly discussion about new episodes keeps people interested.

Same with Game of Thrones.
Speaking of other shows, the fact that Picard season 2 seems to have successfully pulled out of its nosedive proves that there would have been at least some hope for improvement if there'd be a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think Netflix even tells people how their own shows perform, you either get another season or you don't. I think they should have given this show just one more season to let the show runners look at the viewer reaction and try to course correct. I think this could have been a good show.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought it was a good show.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I suspect that someone at Netflix really didn't like the show, given that they obviously paid decently to produce it and get the license.

Like, they cancelled the show really quickly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is at least one suit at Netflix who is deeply online, it’s the only thing that makes sense. One of the board members has gotta be like a 38 year old Toronto redditor who snaked his way up the mealy-mouth daisy chain and uses Twitter to make their decisions

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
You don’t have to invent invisible enemies with a vendetta against the show. It was a bad show.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I don't know who it was for.

I liked the the original bebop but found this was a letdown. And people I know who never saw the original weren't taken in by it.

Seemed like it didn't have enough going for either fans or new viewers.

It probably just didn't do very well, most I know who even watched it gave up after the first few.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mordiceius posted:

You don’t have to invent invisible enemies with a vendetta against the show. It was a bad show.

No, you really don't.

I know someone who works for Netflix, doing data science. She can obviously say nothing about specifics because NDAs, but renewal decisions really are made via algorithm. How many people watched, how many watched the whole season, how quickly they did that, who watched one episode and quit, etc. In an ideal situation, a show gets high engagement and most viewers watch the new season in less than a week or two. Things like audience word of mouth or critical buzz sort of matter, but not really, and definitely not for a show that's expensive and the risk is high. There's no room for some exec with a chip on their shoulder, they just want shows worth their budget to drive subscriptions.

This show was expensive for a Netflix original. Audience word-of-mouth wasn't great and neither were reviews. I have zero doubt that the viewer numbers say something similar. It just wasn't a great show, and people didn't connect with it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
On the data note, Yvonmukluk, trending doesn't necessarily mean much. I see some pretty niche stuff trending for me depending on what time of the day I'm logging on. We don't get handed the metrics, so the best we have is stuff like watching the top 10 list. If I remember the early pages of the thread right, it fell off really quickly for a new, expensive, hyped show.

Bad reviews, building bad word of mouth and quickly declining viewership were more than enough I'm sure. Plus it wasn't cheap, so it had less wiggle room to start with.

And again, Netflix is really brutal with cancellation. I heard a comedian go on about making a short for Netflix, I think for "The Characters." They said Netflix is amazing because they'll give a fat budget to someone with shockingly little oversight. And that Netflix is horrible because if they lose faith in you for a second they're also happy to just ghost you. In their case, they didn't need more money, just some consults and networking help, and Netflix basically told them to just turn something in and get it over with because they'd already decided that they weren't going to turn in anything worthwhile.

Or the funny story from Norsemen, where they were headed to a dead launch and were basically cut off from Netflix execs until the showrunner set up his own last-minute targetted ad campaign to juice the release day metrics and make him a golden boy.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

For almost all streaming services new content is more important than continuing to release more of the same old content, because new content is both what drives new subscribers and the variable that matters most for people staying subscribed. Unless a new season of your show outweighs the customer potential of an entirely new show it's not getting more than two seasons (unless it's particularly important to a new geographical market).

That said Cowboy Bebop is definitely one of the worst TV shows I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of bad TV. The resources are better spent making literally anything else. I mean they could deepfake new episodes of Bonanza for more entertainment value.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Dongicus posted:

I'm going to loving Kill. Myself. Nerds and chuds have made it impossible that Doug Walker's cowboy bebop will get a season 2. Literally why? They could have learned from the mistakes of season 1 such as having a sub-par Key Grip and one shot where the camera is unfocused. Ya'know, I'm even picturing a line they'd give to Faye where she alludes to the reception of the show where she says "ummm nerds are No. i'd love to chucklefuck a grenade bomb into their clown nards"

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I really hate the "dump a whole season at once" method of streaming. Even mediocre shows like Book of Boba Fett or Loki maintain more engagement than Netflix dumps because the weekly discussion about new episodes keeps people interested.

Same with Game of Thrones.

agreed actually, but ive seen too many ppl go "what? i want to watch it all right now, im not paying for loving cable" to know its fruitless. ppl just want 10 hour movies now instead of series.

lmfao at the idea that would help netflixs cowboy bebop in any way, though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fucker posted:

agreed actually, but ive seen too many ppl go "what? i want to watch it all right now, im not paying for loving cable" to know its fruitless. ppl just want 10 hour movies now instead of series.

Oh it wouldn't help Netflix Bebop at all, but watercooler office talk word of mouth and any other number of euphemisms for conversation do give shows longevity.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Weekly release also helps a show’s individual episodes and stories carry weight the quality they used to, instead of all TV shows just congealing into a single 10 hour movie in your head where you have no sense of the timeline.

It would be really interesting to explore shows that were written specifically for Bingeing vs shows that were specially written for episodic release and whether or not releasing them on the wrong schedule had an impact. I really feel like The Witcher, for example, would have been a bigger deal with more Mandalorian level staying power of it had been weekly instead of batch dropped and then forgotten by Christmas

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Also shows that were written for streaming but still have commercial break fade outs.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cojawfee posted:

Also shows that were written for streaming but still have commercial break fade outs.
Star Trek: Picard does this and it’s very annoying. I guess Paramount+ has ads, is that why?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Netflix Cowboy Bebop wasn't very good, but it wasn't the worst thing ever, either. Given a second season, it might have been able to correct its flaws and improve, but now we'll never know.

Anyway, that's my lukewarm take. :geno:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
How many diner scenes will we never get to enjoy now, with the 3 having Seinfeld banter in a booth.

We wont get to enjoy more Faye wisecracks like "welcome to the ouch, mothafuckers".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wanted more Gaye Faye, I wanted more Old Spike, I wanted more Big Daddy Jet

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Fucker posted:

It wouldn’t help Bebop, but I agree: bingeing a whole season at once sucks and is poison to engagement or discussion.

Pretty much every show I’ve watched that way ensures I can’t recall any specific episode after a few months, and the 1-2 year gap between seasons ensures that I barely remember anything at all when the next one drops.

I can space out my viewing, but then it means I can’t discuss it with anyone because everyone is on a different schedule. You can only talk about it as a full season, way after the fact, and I’ve gotten poo poo spoiled many times because so many people *do* devour seasons in a weekend.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Marenghi posted:

How many diner scenes will we never get to enjoy now, with the 3 having Seinfeld banter in a booth.

We wont get to enjoy more Faye wisecracks like "welcome to the ouch, mothafuckers".
Or...they would have not done that, if they'd got a second season to address the criticisms?

I mean, Star Trek Picard is good now, apparently, it's not like TV shows are incapable of redemption.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Martman posted:

I'm gonna do it... I'm gonna watch the bad show

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Escobarbarian posted:

me high, watching john cho in the first episode: last time I saw this guy, he’s was drawings!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
lmao the bigshots :discourse:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The corgi is in the credits! Looking forward to Ein's scintillating screen presence

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is there a prominent stupid coffee cup in every episode?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
there is not a coffee cup every episode, but there is a single episode with a tree filled with cum

the definitive cowboy bebop experience

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Not quite there yet. Unless its episode 3? This show is so, so bad hahaha

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Fucker posted:

bravo

B-R-A-V-O

:bravo:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Attention to detail is 💯

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Verdict after 3 eps: this show sucks, it's the best thing ever, it was just too beautiful for this wretched earth

e: ok the naked people massacre came outta nowhere, wtf

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 4, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is a show that ends by teasing Edward in a scene that is so bad you end up feeling horrible watching an actor's career get destroyed right as it is starting.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

This is a show that ends by teasing Edward in a scene that is so bad you end up feeling horrible watching an actor's career get destroyed right as it is starting.
uhm achually you’ll find it was the nerds who ruined that career

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

uhm achually you’ll find it was the nerds who ruined that career

Oof you've welcomed me to the Ouch, motherfucker.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'm still annoyed they rip corded out of doing a second season of the show. It'd take a pretty big change in tone for it to not also get panned, but would have been fun to see them try.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know how they'd be able to course correct after getting the first attempt so utterly wrong both tonally and thematically.

And the ironic thing is that Bebop's format of standalone episodes should have made it ideal for a dedicated team to get creative and tell their own sessions, but they instead played a "greatest" hits remix of episodes but worse while also trying to instill another asinine prestige-tv serialized storyline.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I was kinda okay with some of the show since it felt a little like if you mixed the aesthetics of CB with the Preacher live-action show.
However, the Vicious storyline dragged so much down and for a show that's known for amazing music, Julia's original song was one of the worst things I've ever heard.
I've got no clue why they didn't just have her sing Adieu.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It does feel like after seeing the showrunners say things like "We don't think the anime was set in a dystopia" that it was probably fundamentally flawed from the start but there is some stuff to like, most of which revolve around the cast when they don't have some really bad dialogue to spout.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
They spent so much money on this pile of poo poo. They had so many full custom cars in those shots. Like the syndicate pulled up in what looks like 2 chevy astros with complete custom bodies. Why? And how much? Crazy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Ok. I made it through 2.5 episodes (didn't get through episode 3) and I'm gonna say the biggest problem is the pacing. Chop these episodes down to the original 25 min and you might be able to rescue it. The cast is fine, some jokes land (not that many) and the look was fun in a campy way. But shots and scenes drag and the episodes sort of stumble.