Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also our react devs said its not possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
How did Microsoft include a lovely debugger with DOS and never add grep?
Just to be dicks and assholes! They got a copy in Redmond, they know a lot of people will use it, and gently caress you! You can't have it!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j0yI41e0j4

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

owns

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pro-tip: if you want to remove the Giphy/Tenor GIF selector thingo from the Win+. emoji picker go to windows defender firewall and create a new outbound rule to block connections from %SystemRoot%\SystemApps\MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_cw5n1h2txyewy\TextInputHost.exe

THE ARISTOCRATS!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

in windows all the good settings - the ones you want to turn on - have at least twelve backslashes and twenty characters of alphanumeric gibberish

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

pro-tip: if you want to remove the Giphy/Tenor GIF selector thingo from the Win+. emoji picker go to windows defender firewall and create a new outbound rule to block connections from %SystemRoot%\SystemApps\MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_cw5n1h2txyewy\TextInputHost.exe

THE ARISTOCRATS!

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Clark Nova posted:

in windows all the good settings - the ones you want to turn on - have at least twelve backslashes and twenty characters of alphanumeric gibberish

i could understand why they do this if the gibberish were unique per-machine, but it's not, obviously. i'm sure i could look it up too but i don't care that much

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pile Of Garbage posted:

THE ARISTOCRATS!

I actually did do this but it came back somehow

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

~Coxy posted:

I actually did do this but it came back somehow

the t-1000 reforming after getting sliced open

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1783620814253814265

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

wow, microsoft had DOS before Keith Raniere made it infamous

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im gonna force push an empty commit and change the world

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
so why only 4? perhaps later versions have some components (third-party?) under tricky copyrights? or are they somehow still making money or hoping to make money with them, through retrogaming or some poo poo?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

maybe contractors with unclear contracts?

but ya idk what use dos 4 is in practice

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

dos 1.x and 2.x aren't particularly useful either, unless you have an original 8088 with only 256K RAM.

1.x doesn't even support directories and is full of weird cp/m baggage. 3.3 is the first version that's realistically usable for anything these days.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the only versions i remember is dos 5 or 6? im actually not sure and windows 3.11 cause thats easy

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...e-file-explorer

windows gets sudo and .tar/.7zip functionality in tyool2024

also a bunch more bullshit stupid “ai” features

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sudo in the weird blue terminal?!?

if not there, then where

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

the only versions i remember is dos 5 or 6? im actually not sure and windows 3.11 cause thats easy

huh, Windows 3.11 only required DOS 3.3

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Branch Nvidian posted:

also a bunch more bullshit stupid “ai” features

lmao yeah I want to wait half a minute before my computer lets me empty the recycle bin

quote:

Windows Copilot can now also understand the following commands:

Ask for available wireless networks.
Ask for system or device information.
Ask for battery information.
Ask to clean storage.
Ask to empty recycle bin.
Ask to toggle battery saver.
Ask to show startup apps.
Ask for your IP address.
Ask for system, device, or storage information.
Ask to turn on narrator.
Ask to open voice access.
Ask to turn on magnifier.
Ask to change text size.
Ask to start live captions.
Ask to turn on high-contrast.
Ask to start voice typing.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i do not want to talk to my computer, ever. i do not want my computer to talk to me, ever. stop trying to make this a thing Every Single Tech Company

in the time it takes to ask copilot to empty the recycle bin i could have just done it manually

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Branch Nvidian posted:

i do not want to talk to my computer, ever. i do not want my computer to talk to me, ever. stop trying to make this a thing Every Single Tech Company

in the time it takes to ask copilot to empty the recycle bin i could have just done it manually

hmm yes but have you considered that they talk to the computer in Star Trek?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

hmm yes but have you considered that they talk to the computer in Star Trek?

i have considered that, and it's one of the things i like least about star trek. i thought the digital assistant thing would be "cool" and "like star trek" when siri first launched, but after using it like twice i realized how much i hate vocalizing to my technology to make it do things

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think some people just have fantasies of having a butler/servant and they project it on the world

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Dear Microsoft: Co-Pilot My Balls

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
getting fired from Microsoft because I proposed that we make a version of windows that doesn’t “loving blow” for once

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

gabensraum posted:

so why only 4? perhaps later versions have some components (third-party?) under tricky copyrights? or are they somehow still making money or hoping to make money with them, through retrogaming or some poo poo?

I'm not able to find DOS 4.0 DOSSHELL, my first guess was that it was licensed from some other company. I also don't see basic, basica, or gwbasic anywhere.

The most interesting features of dos 5.0 were edit and qbasic, which are probably fine but MSAV, SCANDISK, and DEFRAG are probably all tied up. DOS 6.0 had disk compression that actually got microsoft in trouble.

So off the top of my head all the interesting stuff microsoft can release from later DOSses are: CHOICE, SETVER, config.sys boot menus, QBASIC, and EDIT. The latter two being the most interesting but also derived from quickbasic and probably would probably be as politically difficult to release as all the dos code they've already put out. I also don't see basic, basica, or gwbasic anywhere.

I'd say between Microsoft politics and legal complications DOS 4.0 is probably the most interesting thing they feel they can release. It is weird that they haven't released the hugely successful DOS 3.x though.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Branch Nvidian posted:

i have considered that, and it's one of the things i like least about star trek. i thought the digital assistant thing would be "cool" and "like star trek" when siri first launched, but after using it like twice i realized how much i hate vocalizing to my technology to make it do things

A lot of talking they do at the computer mimics the way bridge commands work in the Navy and also probably has a lot to do with conveying information to the audience vs zooming in on a display and animating a UI (expensive) that somehow makes sense to viewers who haven't used a computer.

It holds up really bad present day though.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

talking to your tiny phone instead of having to struggle with an overcomplicated touch ui and virtual keyboard sort of makes sense

adding a voice driven interface to windows 11 sounds like an even worse decision than adding metro to windows 8

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Internet Old One posted:

It is weird that they haven't released the hugely successful DOS 3.x though.

i think that might be tied up with licensing somehow. i know compaq added a lot of stuff to their OEM versions that MS ported back into the main branch later

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I use siri for a couple things somewhat regularly:

- I am cozy in bed and the lights are off and my back is turned away from the nightstand and I suddenly remember I need to be up at a certain time, so I ask it to set an alarm for me.

- I am cooking and my hands are dirty with food and I need to set a timer

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

“Hey Copilot, please set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\ InprocServer32 to blank”

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

that Star Trek computer was way smarter than ChatGPT or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

getting fired from Microsoft because I proposed that we make a version of windows that doesn’t “loving blow” for once

thank you for submitting feedback to help make windows better. windows tooling for feedback (wtf2) has automatically identified your suggestion as a duplicate of 17,212 other suggestions. if you feel that your suggestion has been improperly categorized as a duplicate of the item "please unfuck this poo poo omfg guys seriously", then please re-open your item.