Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Branch Nvidian posted:

this comic is wrong because tim doesn’t announce anything himself anymore

He already invented the keyboard, what else is there to announce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

does the European Union version of Outlook also ignore the default browser in favor of Edge, or is that an America-only feature?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pseudorandom name posted:

does the European Union version of Outlook also ignore the default browser in favor of Edge, or is that an America-only feature?

outlook.com has never asked me to switch browsers, but it does ask me to sign over my computer to my employer if i want to access the sharepoint so i dont do that (tbf i dont do that when in the office either, but sometimes you accidentally click a link)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Perplx posted:

microsoft is going to remove ai button but replace it with an ai microphone on its own soc that works even when the machine is off

lol

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

lol while you can. that was more of a prophesy than a joke

based64
Feb 15, 2024

:question:

based64 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 8, 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
foghorn longhorn

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I don't remember this at all.

I actually do wish Microsoft had some sort of standard like AirPlay Mirroring. Our conference room has both and the Windows machines have to use ClickShares which are buggy af

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/davepl1968/status/1772042158046146792

quote:

I wrote this Format dialog back on a rainy Thursday morning at Microsoft in late 1994, I think it was.

We were porting the bajillion lines of code from the Windows95 user interface over to NT, and Format was just one of those areas where WindowsNT was different enough from Windows95 that we had to come up with some custom UI.

I got out a piece of paper and wrote down all the options and choices you could make with respect to formatting a disk, like filesystem, label, cluster size, compression, encryption, and so on.

Then I busted out VC++2.0 and used the Resource Editor to lay out a simple vertical stack of all the choices you had to make, in the approximate order you had to make. It wasn't elegant, but it would do until the elegant UI arrived.

That was some 30 years ago, and the dialog is still my temporary one from that Thursday morning, so be careful about checking in "temporary" solutions!

I also had to decide how much "cluster slack" would be too much, and that wound up constraining the format size of a FAT volume to 32GB. That limit was also an arbitrary choice that morning, and one that has stuck with us as a permanent side effect.

So remember... there are no "temporary" checkins :)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what a legacy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
someone downthread asked where the missing colons went lol

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

D: indeed

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nothing wrong with that UI though, don't gently caress with it Microsoft.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i mean, if it ain't broke...

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

keep trying to replace it with worse alternatives while users loudly yell about it being changed and finding ways to reimplement the old version?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

should have made it a full screen metro app, imo

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Branch Nvidian posted:

keep trying to replace it with worse alternatives while users loudly yell about it being changed and finding ways to reimplement the old version?

asking copilot to format my D drive and it nukes some random azure vm's volume storage instead

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it has probably persisted because all the new functionality you could add to it would make it easier to create a boot drive for something other than windows

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

(+5, Insightful)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

100%. I just love the story

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

y'all are likely already aware, but in the event that you weren't, he has a whole youtube channel that's pretty cool https://www.youtube.com/@DavesGarage

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Got "upgraded" to the "new" teams and it's now shoving these helpful tips in my face that don't go away even when I close and re-open teams

I'm never opening one drive, microsoft.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Got "upgraded" to the "new" teams and it's now shoving these helpful tips in my face that don't go away even when I close and re-open teams

I'm never opening one drive, microsoft.

don’t worry it’ll keep notifying you every month and if your org has power BI, they’ll also send you fake teams messages telling you about it occasionally!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

remote desktop has been asking me to enable analytics for 3-4 years now, with only a "yes" and "ask me later" buttons. every fuckin time i open it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you keep telling it to ask you later, it's just doing what you told it to do

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

you keep telling it to ask you later, it's just doing what you told it to do

:negative:

i even looked in the preferences plist and changed a bunch of stuff (like a last asked timestamp) but it had no effect

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

isn't the wait minutes picker is supposed to be greyed out if None is selected? why do they hide the time before screen lock setting in here? what did they break lol

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 11, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there are multiple places to set the lockscreen timeout, they don't even have to be the same value, that's just the one that's accessible through the settings ui

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

last night's win10 update put copilot in my taskbar. can i just hide this and not worry about it or is this bullshit sending god knows what to the mothership?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

last night's win10 update put copilot in my taskbar. can i just hide this and not worry about it or is this bullshit sending god knows what to the mothership?

i wouldn't worry any more than usual if you have declined to send "extra" diagnostics to microsoft. it is of course hard to know what microsoft considers "necessary" diagnostics, but there's a statement in there, and they'd be in pretty genuine legal trouble just slurping up keystrokes off of what that says.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

you can disable it via GPO if you have pro, or using the equivalent registry key in home

in gpedit.msc go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Copilot > Turn off Windows Copilot (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/manage-windows-copilot)

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 11, 2024

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

we're not yet at the point where the lesser evil is blocking *.microsoft.com in your firewall and dealing with whatever malware you contract from not patching
but i feel like we're close

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

you can disable it via GPO if you have pro, or using the equivalent registry key in home

in gpedit.msc go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Copilot > Turn off Windows Copilot (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/manage-windows-copilot)

ty

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

np. poo poo sucks, but at least gpos still exist, for now.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

you can right click the task bar and pick an option to remove it, but you cant actually remove a "copilot app" from your computer cause all it is is a shortcut to opening bing chat in a browser

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

general reminder that local/group policy is sacrosanct and anything you set in there will never be overridden by microsoft, lest they be forsaking every single enterprise customer and loving basically everything up.

there's a lot of stuff you can set via gpedit.msc that will permanently turn off dumb poo poo and it's annoying janitoring but it works.

r u ready to WALK posted:

we're not yet at the point where the lesser evil is blocking *.microsoft.com in your firewall and dealing with whatever malware you contract from not patching

yeah cool that will work. also you'll have to block all this poo poo: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/urls-and-ip-address-ranges?view=o365-worldwide. and there's some other poo poo for defender on insane domains to block as well.

easier just to not use the OS.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

yeah cool that will work. also you'll have to block all this poo poo: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/urls-and-ip-address-ranges?view=o365-worldwide. and there's some other poo poo for defender on insane domains to block as well.

easier just to not use the OS.

this is the point at which it becomes easier to use linux and wine

you know, rather than manually blocking half the internet

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

counterpoint: blocking the entire internet is easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

r u ready to WALK posted:

nextdns has a filter for windows analytics already lol. idk if it catches everything, but i do see a lot of blocked requests in the logs. no functionality impact afaict