Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Neural Networks. What are they? It is a mystery.

CYOA. What are they? Is is a mystery. Ok we know what CYOAs are, here on SA.

This thread aims to solve the age old question: what happens when you mash the 2 things together? This is the only way to answer. For example, this is what I got when I fed it the very first paragraph of the first Lone Wolf book:

Silent Wolf? posted:

This scenario is based on the rules of the Dark Age of Magic from Matt Costello’s Fantasy Flight Games Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Companion. The player characters are the last of the Kai, sent to Sommerlund to protect the inhabitants and fight back the Darklords.

The events in the scenario are all non-linear. Every player has a unique choice of which choices they make at the start of the adventure.

The scenario is suitable for 3-4 players with a 40 minute game time, with each player having their own adventure “campaign”.

Silent Wolf features 8 RPG sub-systems, including:

1. Supererogatory Intuition (Insight)

2. Knowledge (Skill, History)

3. Impact (Strength of Will)

4. Willpower (Persuasion, Charm)

5. Anger (Strength of will)

6. Righteousness (Torment)

7. Understanding (Persuasion, Insight)

8. Good Luck (Intimidation)

Silent Wolf has been designed for replayability. Every player has the opportunity to play one of the Kai Lords and change the course of history. If you don’t like Silent Wolf then you can play another scenario or another game!

Each player begins with his or her own unique Kai Council (a group of allies that included the Kai Councilor) and their personal wizard. Other units, including the Darklords and their armies, must be purchased using the gold that you earn from different tasks that you have to complete.
Those seems way cooler than most Kai Powers.

Now, it's time to get real. Bolded text is the prompt I gave to the NN. The rest is what was spat out. Join me into this dangerous journey...

quote:

It is dark in the cave.

A cool draft comes through the jagged opening to guide our footsteps and caress our skin, but I'm still dizzy, like the last time I was here, trapped in a coffin with Xavier and Sebastian.

It feels like I'm inside a pressure cooker and my head is so full of thoughts and memories and things I didn't remember.

I feel numb and breathless.

"Help me!"

I whisper, trying to sound more confident.

YOU WILL:
Fall In Love
2.Get Over Myself
3.Get Over Myself Part 2
4.Get Over Myself Part 3
5.Get Over Myself Part 4
6.Get Over Myself Part 5
7.Get Over Myself Part 6
8.Get Over Myself Part 7
9. 12 / 18 / 2014 What if?
10. I shake my head.
11. What if I have a dark future now?
12. What if he dies?
13. What if Sebastian dies?
:siren::siren::siren:
A voting window is now open!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Neural nets and CYOAs, they go hand in hand, it seems.

I’m intrigued by option 9.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I can believe that getting over one's self would take seven whole chapters.

I am also interested in the same thing though. What IF 12/18/2014. Let's take Door #9

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

What happened on that fateful day? Is this related to Sebastian's death?

We must take number 9.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
9. 12 / 18 / 2014 What if?

quote:

12 / 18 / 2014 What if? Dizzy as I was, the cave was cool and dark around me...but this was all I could think of.

12 / 21 / 2014 Notes from the cave

How the cave system is

January 2014 I had tried (unsuccessfully) to climb down the waterfall before, so when I heard a crack and water starting to fall down, I decided to give it another go. I climbed down the rocks using the technique that is described in the Ten Steps, and was lucky enough to have it not fall down on my head!

January 2014 My attempt to climb back up the waterfall failed, but the rock structure in the cave had enough for me to climb up onto (but not over) the water at the point I had to climb down.

January 2014 I passed the first challenge of the cave. The next day, I decided to make my way further in (it was now night, the whole cave was pitch black). I proceeded to cross the stream, go deeper into the cave, and discovered an abandoned water way (nothing like the water path of the night before). There was no further sign of any of the rocks. I could also hear rushing water further in.

After checking your notes, YOU:
Walked through the waterway.

2. Created the apparent waterfalls on the stream.

3. Stood on the falls.

4. Noticed an old covered bridge near the stream.

5. Found an old pot here, and other objects along the ground.

A missing item.
The mystery deepens.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 28, 2021

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

"our footsteps" "our skin" "but I'm still dizzy"
So the storyteller is here with you.

Number 1

this is not YOUR story, this is its story.

SniHjen fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 28, 2021

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
I think that we could use a few extra inventory items. Let's take #5 and check out some old pots.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This sounds like a very 5 kind of situation.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
4 because covered bridges are great

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

First rule of adventuring is always be looting (5)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

5. Found an old pot here, and other objects along the ground. A missing item.

quote:

Stumbling in the dark damp cave you look at the old pot here, and other objects along the ground. A missing item. They are missing here? How did they disappear? An ambulance takes them away, you know. What happened? Have you come here to solve the mystery of the so-called Missing Objects?

Looking further in the darkness in the cave you come across the after-effect of a falling object, a bloodstain. How did the bloodstain appear? Why is there a bloodstain? What are these splashes? More splashes. How do you move from one splashing spot to the other?

Then you come to the pot. You place it in the sun and the last place you have seen the missing object, the head of the doctor, the doctor you have been searching for, now appears in a splash of blood on the pot!

Is it the doctor? How did he get that way? The head of the doctor becomes a skull in the pot and the missing object disappears. You close the lid.

You pick up the skull and put it in your backpack. Then, YOU:
Discover the Fallible Materials

2. Discover the Deepness of the Human

3. Discover the Author of Chaos and you come home with everything you found

4. You probably picked up a freebie in the line at the entrance that you never noticed before, but now you see it. The new medical pot you have in your backpack has a crack in it. Maybe the crack will be filled in by the authorities. You're wrong.

Backpack
- A skull

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 28, 2021

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

#2. Let us introspect.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It sounds like if we choose option 4 we get a free medical pot too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Don't want to give up that awesome human skull so I vote #3

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I vote #3 as well :skeltal:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
#2 what is the secret meaning of human

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

4 I'm wrong

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Such is the superior writing techniques of our robot overlords that we are in a 3-way tie.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Number, 4, medical pot, medical pot, medical pot.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Number 2 to philosophize

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
I enjoy the amount of introspection coming from our protagonist. They're out to uncover the true mysteries of life and the universe and that's just fine.

On that note, let's do #2 and go deep.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Number 3. Let us dance with the lord of change, the agent of discord, the singer of the discordant song.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Number 2. Recognizing the depth of this so called "human" is paramount to our success.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I can't stop laughing

Option 2. We must have insight from the skull.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I gotta go 2. These are the questions of our time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Option 1 because all the best materials are fallible

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i just like the idea of a cyoa option being phrased as "Discover X" like you choose to discover something specific, and also the x is something really weird

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Number 4 is clearly the post-modernist answer we need.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

2. Discover the Deepness of the Human

quote:

Then you Discover the Deepness of the Human.

What you have found here is amazing. The human race is powerful. But can you carry the skull, and continue to be human, you may ask?

Or should you hand it over to the police, since there is a bloodstain on it, and the skull looks a lot like the missing doctor.

The bloodstain on the head is still there.

How did you happen to pick up the head of the doctor and place it in the pot?

Did the skull look different from the last time you had seen it?

How do you find the doctor again, now that he is in the water?

You need answers.

January 2014 The day after your visit to the cave, you get a call from an aunt who is very worried about you.

There are no posts to your Facebook account.

YOU consider carefully what to do next:
What am I doing?

2. What did I find?

3. What would you do if you found a missing doctor skull and the head of the doctor?

4. What would you do if you had not found the doctor skull?

5. How did the doctor get there?

6. Am I going crazy?

7. What is the medical profession?

8. What is the missing head of the doctor?

9. You must speak to the police about this, or they will think you are crazy.

10. 18 year old Yenny lives in Copenhagen, but since the summer she has been staying with her parents. Does she know the doctor head is missing?

11. Her aunt says her phone has been sent off, without any type of reply.
Backpack
- A (doctor's?) skull

EDIT: to make sure our robot overlords do not forget about what happened before, I've started copy/pasting the full text of the previous updates before the prompt. This has clearly led to an improvement in the narrative :awesomelon:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 29, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Only trust your fists. Start at the beginning.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
It's a murder mystery now, apparently.

Option #5. Let's explore the How before going any deeper into the Why.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Option 10

The next step in this Scandi Noir drama is to introduce our plucky sidekick Yenny.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

6 :freep:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Option 10

Because surely the missing doctor from *coughcough* has surely made international headlines.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

7 what are doctors? We just don't know

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
5 - How did the doctor get here?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
10. Yenny can surely get us out of this bind.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
I can think of no possible way introducing another character to the story will go wrong. Let's do #10 and get Yenny involved in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

10. I think we need to know how Yenny from Copenhagen fits into this mystery. Also we should probably post something on Facebook. Our aunt is worried.