Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside or Shin no Nakama ja Nai to Yuusha no Party wo Oidasareta node, Henkyou de Slow Life suru Koto ni Shimashita (hereafter known as Slow Life Frontier or Slow Life Countryside because we're sane people) is a fantasy story about the Jeigan of the party named Gideon getting kicked out of the Hero's party by the rear end in a top hat Sage of the group. Feeling depressed and realizing that he has peaked in the growth of his abilities, he decides to do as the title says.

It's not all bad as he is quickly joined by Rit, a princess and gladiator who adventured with him previously. The two begin to run a drugstore together and a relationship slowly starts to blossom between them. It's cute as gently caress.
The series is about their daily life in a fantasy countryside with Gideon/Red slowly coming to terms with himself and how others really see him.

If the premise sounds appealing to you, check out the manga. It's a very good adaptation of the WN and manages to keep the story going at a steady pace. The anime is serviceable but it cuts out a lot of my favourite character interactions and the budget leaves a lot to be desired.

Characters

Gideon Ragnason (AKA Red)

Blessing: Guide
Occupation: Pharmacist/Adventurer (previously Vice Captain of the Kingdom's Bahamut Knights)
Notable skills: Mastery of all basic abilities, skilled swordsman, knowledge of tactics, Blessings, herbs and many other areas

The main character of the piece. A skilled swordsman with a wide breadth of knowledge across all topics, Red quickly found himself a new life in the countryside. After changing his name, he chose to live a quiet life as a D-rank adventurer despite the fact his skills far exceed it. Part of his insecurity stems from his own knowledge; unlike most people he is well-versed in Divine Blessings, so he knows exactly how limited his Guide blessing truly is. Nevertheless, he is shown to be a versatile combatant and a dependable friend, which is what Rit to follow him to the sticks.

Risellete of Loggavia (AKA Rit)

Blessing: Spirit Scout
Occupation: Assistant Pharmacist (previously Adventurer, Arena Gladiator and 3rd princess of Loggavia)
Notable skills: Swordswoman, especially skilled in one-on-one combat, ability to use elemental and summoning magic to a minor degree

The BEST GIRL FMC of the story, Rit chose to give up the fight for the throne in favor or moving in with Red. She previously adventured with Red's group in an attempt to prove her superiority, but put aside her differences after an ambush by the Demon Army. She is a famous adventurer and arena gladiator, noted for fighting with twin shotels. She can use magic, but mostly for utility and prefers her martial skills instead. More or less the relationship mover which makes her The Best.
(lowkey kinda don't like her anime design they kinda moe-fied her too much)

Blessings

The unique feature of this world is Blessings. Within the story, every living being, including animals, are given a Blessing from the time of their birth. Some blessings start at higher levels than others (yeah this is one of those stories).
Your Blessing affects the abilities you earn, the magic you can use and so on. They also influence your personality to some degree, for instance a Mage Blessing would make a person more prone to seeking knowledge and reading books. More violent blessings such as Bar Brawler and Firestarter will cause their bearer to act appropriately as well. The stronger your Blessing is, the more power it gives and the more it can affect your personality.
In the story Blessings are seen as an equalizer, since being rich does not mean you get better Blessings.
The only way to improve your Blessing is to kill another living being with a higher level Blessing. This applies for even non-combat Blessings.
If anybody has any other questions about the worldbuilding, ask them in the thread. The story can be...cludgy about the answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rit knows what she wants and she will get it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cool poo poo a previous episode left out: Yarandolala left the party on really bad terms. She was unable to track Gideon, and confronted Ares over it

He was a smug prick about it so it led to one of the best panels:

Then he got all mad:

Yarandolala responded

Which led to one of the most :krad: panels in the entire story

The other two broke it up tho:

Yarandolala left shortly after.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've started reading the manga, and it's kind of weird how they cut out the only scene where Ruti smiles, when she's around her brother, in the first volume of the manga. I guess they're portraying that she cares about him in the subsequent episodes, but you don't necessarily get the feeling that she LIKES him as a brother, rather than just values his skills in the anime. I don't think they've ever shown her with anything but a neutral expression the whole show so far.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The manga definitely does a better job at showing how much of a bro-con Ruti is

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh, I guess that's why the rest of the party is terrified of Ruti, huh. Interesting to see her start to run off and leave Ares for dead until her blessing reasserted itself. Unexpected but very satisfying.

Somehow I didn't notice Rit's outfit has literal armpit windows until this episode.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yeah, that was… Eeugh.

She's been giving off low-grade psychopath vibes for just about the entire series, then she suddenly switched into high-grade mode with no warning. No loving wonder the entire rest of the party are on perpetual tenderhooks around her.

I do kind of wonder how many other times she's pulped someone after seeing what she did to Ares. The deer in the headlights reaction from everyone else in episode three makes disturbingly more sense now, the brash and burly fighter dude was on his hands and knees because he probably thought he was literally begging for his life...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Not very impressed with the animation quality in this episode. Saw a lot of morphs instead of actual animated frames and when it was animated it seemed to be on 3s or even 4s often.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Anything interesting about the demon lord in this one?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mimir posted:

There will be details about the demons but I don't think the anime will get to the Demon Lord proper.

Omnicrom posted:

I do kind of wonder how many other times she's pulped someone after seeing what she did to Ares. The deer in the headlights reaction from everyone else in episode three makes disturbingly more sense now, the brash and burly fighter dude was on his hands and knees because he probably thought he was literally begging for his life...

She was okay while Gideon was in the party but after she became a lot less stable. That said, pretty much anybody who sees her fight is scared shitless because of how effortlessly and emotionlessly she kills others. Rit once fought her in the arena in a non lethal bout and said Ruti was the scariest opponent she ever faced.
Ruti's Blessing also prevents her from harming the innocent or her party members, the only reason she managed to pulp Ares is because this one time she reacted faster than the Blessing could restrain her. And even then, her Blessing then forced her to stay and heal Ares.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like how this show starts off as like a fantasy pseudo-isekai slice of life but slowly the camera pulls out and slowly builds up the setting a little more.

I like how even adventurers on the lower end of the high ranking scale can kinda inherently destabilizing to the politics of the local area that everyone is on their toes due to their presence.

I dunno how deep this series will end up being but I like that there's darker stuff happening in the background.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
For the manga, is it licensed in the states? If not, where can I read it?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Yen Press is the publisher in the US. It is of course also available as :filez: at the normal manga places too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mimir posted:

There's so much mustache twirling going on with Ares and the weird Lolita assassin he brought on that his hard-on for finding the Demon Lord Weapon's gotta turn out to be some BS "kill the Hero because my Sage powers think no one should have that Hero power" or something.

One thing I do appreciate is the little things that Red's Apothecary is bringing into the mainstream, like aromatherapy and medicinal cookies/performance enhancing additives. It makes the world more interesting without it being an isekai contrivance like in Bookworm (oh I know, I'll just invent Shampoo!)

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 7, 2021

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:argh: :argh: THEY CUT OUT THE GOOD KISS WHAT THE gently caress :argh: :argh:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I was fine with it but knowing that panel exists makes it worse.

Why wouldn't you loving zoom out on them?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Relationship progress!

And more info about your Blessing and what it takes sometimes to avoid doing things your blessing wants you to do.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
They really cheaped out with the animation this episode. This continues to be a shame because it's one of a small number of shows that has main characters actually acting like adults in their relationship progress.

The world here, though, continues to be wildly dark. Forget the Demon Lord, Ruti and her party need to go kill the gods who set this system up.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Seems like they're building up towards something, but this episode to me felt more like a setup episode pretending to be a something happening episode.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This was definitely just a set up episode, I think it remains worth pointing out that it's something of a surprise that a show with this pitch would actually have a consistent, serialized plot. I can honestly say I am really looking forward to seeing how things shake out, because the show is a lot of story actually happening.

And at the same time even though it's a set up episode it introduced a new mystery, introduced a new character and his perspective, shook up who was where and doing what advancing the arcs of several characters, paid off a previous storyline by showing what Ruti had been looking for this whole time, and gave a new view on her motivation beyond just "has to be the hero". That's not quite nothing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We actually saw another character who had that same grin and could also shapeshift. Anyone wanna take a crack at who it is?

The practice fight with Aru was a lot better in the WN and the manga. Most importantly, Aru asked why Red wasn't using the copper sword on his hip (that he carries everywhere) which is a major theme in the story.

Aru also showed off that he could use blade beams now, though Red tell him to stick to the basics for now.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I really enjoy The 'banished from the hero's party!' genre in general, since it almost always ends up being about a bunch of narcissistic asshats getting rid of someone useful but plain and almost immediately regretting the decision when they find out they're not half as good as they were when the banished party member was still around. Very cathartic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a fantasy about how if you got booted from your abusive workplace they'd be so very sorry.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a fantasy about how if you got booted from your abusive workplace they'd be so very sorry.

Who among us has not had that fantasy, abusive workplace or no?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

chumbler posted:

Precisely. S'why I said it's very cathartic.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

khy posted:

I really enjoy The 'banished from the hero's party!' genre in general, since it almost always ends up being about a bunch of narcissistic asshats getting rid of someone useful but plain and almost immediately regretting the decision when they find out they're not half as good as they were when the banished party member was still around. Very cathartic.

You guys can rec or talk about that anime/manga itt. I don't really mind. This thread wasn't ever gonna get a lot of action cause this show flew under a lot of people's radars. Also it obviously has a shoestring budget.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I never actually bothered watching the show but I did look up the manga for this, which was okay, and never mentioned doing so.

Now I have.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

In that case here's a similar series to check out.

https://mangadex.org/title/c26a8a56...mon-king-s-army
Long-rear end title, but a decent series. Heroes vs Demon Lords is a spectacle and not really a war - more like a TV show. The MC has long dreamed of being a hero but he only has skill with dark magic (Debuffs). The MC's debuff magic isn't very flashy or obvious so he gets the boot from the hero's party but the demons decide to pick him up and have him join their side since they recognize how ridiculously strong it is having always been on the receiving end. He decides if he can't be the hero to the humans, he can be the hero to the other races instead.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

khy posted:

Long-rear end title, but a decent series. Heroes vs Demon Lords is a spectacle and not really a war - more like a TV show. The MC has long dreamed of being a hero but he only has skill with dark magic (Debuffs). The MC's debuff magic isn't very flashy or obvious so he gets the boot from the hero's party but the demons decide to pick him up and have him join their side since they recognize how ridiculously strong it is having always been on the receiving end. He decides if he can't be the hero to the humans, he can be the hero to the other races instead.

There's also another series called I'm Quitting Heroing: Next Gig Is at the Demon Queen's Castle which sounds extremely similar which is getting an anime release in Spring 2022

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

khy posted:

Way to link this at the biggest cliffhanger possible.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

Way to link this at the biggest cliffhanger possible.

Not my fault the timing of this thread and the cliffhanger coincided so much!

Here's a similar one to look into...

https://mangadex.org/title/fa92d730...uu-ni-natta-ore

The MC isn't banished from the hero's party, he's pretty much just their chore boy. But he's constantly abused by the Hero - His childhood friend who turned crazy yandere. When he can't take it anymore he leaves, and finds out he's actually very strong - which he didn't know because the hero was basically downplaying his every accomplishment and keeping him down. Now that he's free he's finding out how different his perception of the world is from reality, but the Hero isn't about to let him leave. Turns out that instead of being naturally a crazy horrible yandere, the hero may be controlled/influenced by some evil force.

khy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 22, 2021

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I'm a sucker for these as well.

chumbler posted:

That said, it's interesting how the story the OP series here is based on is different from all the similar stories. Like, the guy wasn't as much banished as one of the party members pretty clearly manipulated him for their own gain. Half the party immediately threw a fit when they found out he was gone, the other half quickly realizing it was a mistake soon after. And that's with the main character having a very specific blessing that's essentially "Training Wheels for the Hero Until They Outgrow Them". But even that's not his real strength, it's all the knowledge and experience he's gained around his and others' blessings and all the adventuring organizational skills he developed on his own.

Again, a real shame the series has been overlooked. It's not some epic fantasy story, but it's a lot deeper than the usual fare.

khy posted:

Here's a similar one to look into...

There's always another manga with a vaguely similar premise to check out.

In this case, (deep breath) A Sword Master Childhood Friend Power Harassed Me Harshly, so I Broke off Our Relationship and Made a Fresh Start at the Frontier as a Magic Swordsman.

It's been really slow with updates (the last was 3 months ago) The Childhood Friend / Girlfriend is a hyper-competent Sword Master that's under a lot of stress now that she's head knight and a noble and, well, she totally takes it out on the Main Character. For his part, he's not overpowered, just merely competent in both sword and magic. But after dealing with the abuse, he breaks up with her as both boyfriend and adventure party member and sets off on his own.

SimplyCosmic fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 23, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SimplyCosmic posted:

And that's with the main character having a very specific blessing that's essentially "Training Wheels for the Hero Until They Outgrow Them". But even that's not his real strength, it's all the knowledge and experience he's gained around his and others' blessings and all the adventuring organizational skills he developed on his own.

His other real strength is recognising the problems in the blessing system and figuring out workarounds, or at least methods for living comfortably within the rules while still being constrained by them. And when the Hero's blessing pretty much forces her to become an unstoppable, soulless killing machine who will straight up murder anyone who upsets her if she gets distracted it turns out it's really really useful to have a guy like that around

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Seraphic Neoman posted:

We actually saw another character who had that same grin and could also shapeshift. Anyone wanna take a crack at who it is?

The practice fight with Aru was a lot better in the WN and the manga. Most importantly, Aru asked why Red wasn't using the copper sword on his hip (that he carries everywhere) which is a major theme in the story.

Aru also showed off that he could use blade beams now, though Red tell him to stick to the basics for now.

It was the person that posed as the captain of the royal guard of Logarvia or however you spell the place that Rit is from.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The plot thickens.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Weird change to the contract demon.

Manga:

We're also only a few chapters away from the English translations of the manga. Next episode I bet we'll surpass it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nitrousoxide posted:

Weird change to the contract demon.

Manga:

We're also only a few chapters away from the English translations of the manga. Next episode I bet we'll surpass it.

I think I prefer him as a Goat monster. Succubi are dime a dozen in JP fantasy. Though I wish the Goat looked a bit more clearly demonic, cool markings or wings or something.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 25, 2021

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

But booba

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the sexy version still has goat legs. i don't think there is a specific term for that, since satyrs are exclusively male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the sexy version still has goat legs. i don't think there is a specific term for that, since satyrs are exclusively male.

Satyrs also don't tend to have goat heads.