Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside or Shin no Nakama ja Nai to Yuusha no Party wo Oidasareta node, Henkyou de Slow Life suru Koto ni Shimashita (hereafter known as Slow Life Frontier or Slow Life Countryside because we're sane people) is a fantasy story about the Jeigan of the party named Gideon getting kicked out of the Hero's party by the rear end in a top hat Sage of the group. Feeling depressed and realizing that he has peaked in the growth of his abilities, he decides to do as the title says.

It's not all bad as he is quickly joined by Rit, a princess and gladiator who adventured with him previously. The two begin to run a drugstore together and a relationship slowly starts to blossom between them. It's cute as gently caress.
The series is about their daily life in a fantasy countryside with Gideon/Red slowly coming to terms with himself and how others really see him.

If the premise sounds appealing to you, check out the manga. It's a very good adaptation of the WN and manages to keep the story going at a steady pace. The anime is serviceable but it cuts out a lot of my favourite character interactions and the budget leaves a lot to be desired.

Characters

Gideon Ragnason (AKA Red)

Blessing: Guide
Occupation: Pharmacist/Adventurer (previously Vice Captain of the Kingdom's Bahamut Knights)
Notable skills: Mastery of all basic abilities, skilled swordsman, knowledge of tactics, Blessings, herbs and many other areas

The main character of the piece. A skilled swordsman with a wide breadth of knowledge across all topics, Red quickly found himself a new life in the countryside. After changing his name, he chose to live a quiet life as a D-rank adventurer despite the fact his skills far exceed it. Part of his insecurity stems from his own knowledge; unlike most people he is well-versed in Divine Blessings, so he knows exactly how limited his Guide blessing truly is. Nevertheless, he is shown to be a versatile combatant and a dependable friend, which is what Rit to follow him to the sticks.

Risellete of Loggavia (AKA Rit)

Blessing: Spirit Scout
Occupation: Assistant Pharmacist (previously Adventurer, Arena Gladiator and 3rd princess of Loggavia)
Notable skills: Swordswoman, especially skilled in one-on-one combat, ability to use elemental and summoning magic to a minor degree

The BEST GIRL FMC of the story, Rit chose to give up the fight for the throne in favor or moving in with Red. She previously adventured with Red's group in an attempt to prove her superiority, but put aside her differences after an ambush by the Demon Army. She is a famous adventurer and arena gladiator, noted for fighting with twin shotels. She can use magic, but mostly for utility and prefers her martial skills instead. More or less the relationship mover which makes her The Best.
(lowkey kinda don't like her anime design they kinda moe-fied her too much)

Blessings

The unique feature of this world is Blessings. Within the story, every living being, including animals, are given a Blessing from the time of their birth. Some blessings start at higher levels than others (yeah this is one of those stories).
Your Blessing affects the abilities you earn, the magic you can use and so on. They also influence your personality to some degree, for instance a Mage Blessing would make a person more prone to seeking knowledge and reading books. More violent blessings such as Bar Brawler and Firestarter will cause their bearer to act appropriately as well. The stronger your Blessing is, the more power it gives and the more it can affect your personality.
In the story Blessings are seen as an equalizer, since being rich does not mean you get better Blessings.
The only way to improve your Blessing is to kill another living being with a higher level Blessing. This applies for even non-combat Blessings.
If anybody has any other questions about the worldbuilding, ask them in the thread. The story can be...cludgy about the answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cool poo poo a previous episode left out: Yarandolala left the party on really bad terms. She was unable to track Gideon, and confronted Ares over it

He was a smug prick about it so it led to one of the best panels:

Then he got all mad:

Yarandolala responded

Which led to one of the most :krad: panels in the entire story

The other two broke it up tho:

Yarandolala left shortly after.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mimir posted:

Anything interesting about the demon lord in this one?

There will be details about the demons but I don't think the anime will get to the Demon Lord proper.

Omnicrom posted:

I do kind of wonder how many other times she's pulped someone after seeing what she did to Ares. The deer in the headlights reaction from everyone else in episode three makes disturbingly more sense now, the brash and burly fighter dude was on his hands and knees because he probably thought he was literally begging for his life...

She was okay while Gideon was in the party but after she became a lot less stable. That said, pretty much anybody who sees her fight is scared shitless because of how effortlessly and emotionlessly she kills others. Rit once fought her in the arena in a non lethal bout and said Ruti was the scariest opponent she ever faced.
Ruti's Blessing also prevents her from harming the innocent or her party members, the only reason she managed to pulp Ares is because this one time she reacted faster than the Blessing could restrain her. And even then, her Blessing then forced her to stay and heal Ares.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:argh: :argh: THEY CUT OUT THE GOOD KISS WHAT THE gently caress :argh: :argh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We actually saw another character who had that same grin and could also shapeshift. Anyone wanna take a crack at who it is?

The practice fight with Aru was a lot better in the WN and the manga. Most importantly, Aru asked why Red wasn't using the copper sword on his hip (that he carries everywhere) which is a major theme in the story.

Aru also showed off that he could use blade beams now, though Red tell him to stick to the basics for now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

khy posted:

I really enjoy The 'banished from the hero's party!' genre in general, since it almost always ends up being about a bunch of narcissistic asshats getting rid of someone useful but plain and almost immediately regretting the decision when they find out they're not half as good as they were when the banished party member was still around. Very cathartic.

You guys can rec or talk about that anime/manga itt. I don't really mind. This thread wasn't ever gonna get a lot of action cause this show flew under a lot of people's radars. Also it obviously has a shoestring budget.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Aggressive plays from Rit today boy howdy

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kyoujin posted:

Are there any banished from the party stories where the person actually is weak or falling behind? I remember there was one where the guy was getting weaker as he used his abilities but he was actually under a curse and once broken he was back to full OP abilities in like chapter 2.

Not really. Isekai or isekai-adjacents are all about escapist power trips so the protagonist is always special in some way. Either he's a very knowledgeable person or he was always powerful but never appreciated. Or he simply did not have a chance to show ~his true power~

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kyoujin posted:

Yeah that seems to be a staple of the genre so just have to ignore it I guess. Whether they are banished or leave willingly they don't talk it out with the party.

In a way Gideon is almost acting like Ares by thinking he knows what is best for the party and going through without discussing it first

Gideon has a serious inferiority complex which nerds can project themselves on because of the knowledge of the limitations of his blessing and how he was always second to Ruti growing up

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They really undersell how much Tise loving loves oden in the anime. I am not joking it's like 20% of what she ever thinks about.

also

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ares took the loss of that airship really badly didn't he.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This was all a simulation created by the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo to create the perfect fantasy RPG Hero

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A neat detail I noticed is that Asura Demons don't have a detectable Blessing. Ruti's new nameless Blessing (I'll spoil its name from the LN: it's called [Shin]) has no effects, other than helping suppress her Hero's Blessing. They previously said that Axe Demon hearts are not necessary to make the drug and in fact humans will be OP if they learn they can use an uncursed version to control the Blessings they get.

I'm guessing Asura Demons have Shin as their Blessing, and I'm guessing they really don't want humans getting it as well, which is why Shisandan decided to help Ares re-Hero-fy Ruti. This is just speculation I have no idea how accurate this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Can someone explain what shisandan's motivation for doing...anything... is? It seems like he should be ok with the ruti not being the hero, especially since hes a demon and all.

Unfortunately everything about Shisandan will come up much later after this. Suffice to say there is a Demon King faction and the traditionalist Demon Faction. The latter are against the former. Shisandan is a traditionalist and wants Ruti to fulfill her purpose and put an end to the Demon King since he was never supposed to gently caress with the Blessing system they have in place (which they did with the Axe Demon Drugs).