Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I don't get it, file your suit, if they don't show up they'll default judgement them and it's the court's problem to find them and make them pay.

many cases lack of proper service is a defense against a default judgement. if you're hr department comes up to you and says "hey, we got this garnishment notice" you can call up the clerk of courts go "hey, this is the first i'm hearing about this!" and get a new court date. my ex's family owned a roofing company that when dad was on a meth bender would specialize in dodging service for uncompleted work that was paid for (i will say, the work they did do was rock solid, just...wouldn't always finish jobs), when the odd person would actually manage to get a court date set without proof of service, they'd keep coming up with new reasons to reset the date, and about 75% of the time the client would just give up cause it was costing them more in taking time off work, etc than it was worth to just hire a new company to finish the job.

also, in small claims, YOU'RE the one that has to chase them down and make them pay. The judge just says you're allowed to legally do it, you still have to be the one to jump through the hoops for getting a garnishment/bank levy/etc.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU