Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

If this should be compared to anything else instead of Avengers, it's Insomniac's Spider-Man. Made by people who clearly love the source material, but put their own spin on things. So it's familiar, and the characterization is mostly the same as they are from the comics, but they put their own twists and spins on characters to make them their own.

Mass Effect is a good comparison too, though this doesn't have as much RPG elements and you don't pick squadmates - you mostly get to have the whole team with you, which is nice to not have a limitation on having to pick them. There's a few major choices you can make that don't really change things too much, but do impact some areas of the game.

Also I can't believe how hard I laughed at "last and certainly least, Peter Jason Quill."

The pause is juuuuust long enough for you to get that the joke is basically "...that's the tweet".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm not sure what's going on in this intro area. It's a spaceship graveyard...but it has air, and gravity... except when it doesn't.

Should I just treat it as "the area around the protagonist is a soundstage and therefore reflects earth, the area not near the protagonist is backdrop and doesn't" ?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hey, these Nova people have spacesuits. They're smarter than we are.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gotta say I'm regretting this purchase. It barely seems like a game, basically just a movie where I sometimes have to watch the same bit several times while I try to figure out what the QTE is actually asking me to do. The characters snarking at each other is basically the entirety of the product.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"Barely a game" seems like ridiculous hyperbole. It is heavy on the writing, but the game itself is fun imo.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

SirSamVimes posted:

"Barely a game" seems like ridiculous hyperbole. It is heavy on the writing, but the game itself is fun imo.

IDK. I would say calling it barely a game feels a bit harsh, but the gameplay department seems. Pretty eh. I think the issue is just that the combat is like half the game and 3rd person shooting with autolock is the most boring poo poo in existence. Game would have probably been funner if you could play as anyone but Star-Lord in the combat segments.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The sheer linearity got to me too. It feels like it doesn't really need me to participate at all.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I like the linearity, too many games have you backtracking and shuffling back and forth around a map that's too spread out. I just played Far Cry 6 and this was a satisfying contrast to that. It really is one of the better written games I've played. The dialogue and voice acting are really funny quite consistently and the Drax part is really effective too.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I am definitely going to get this at some point. Full price is just too much especially since I just bought another full price game on Friday. But I like GOTG, I LOVE that it is a linear single player experience, and just everything about it looks cool. Only bad part is since it's good I'll probably have to wait a long time for the price to go down :(

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I don’t think you’ll have to wait that long. I suspect it’s not selling well because of the Avengers stink. Last I checked in only had like 8k concurrent Steam players at launch.

Deathloop is another pretty decent game that is already on sale, so you’ll have at most a month to wait.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I'm now in chapter 6 or so and still really enjoying it. I dont really care about Marvel or comics in general but I enjoyed the movie(s) as brain-off entertainment without being too offending. Writing is entertaining and the combat *can* be good, although it's just too fast for all the stuff available. I think there is a custom option in the difficulty to extend slowmotion for power selections which I should've put higher in hindsight (went with "normal" default settings). I don't find it particular bad though, it just isn't polished enough to really match the tactical/brawling/shooting stuff really good together. Not bad enough to entirely hate it though, some fights are a bit too long but overall they're good imo.

Graphics are amazing and the linear structure is very welcome in the misguided world of "AAA must be open world" that was already bad in 2007 when gtas and asscreeds were heavily pushing this idea.

Also shout-out to very awesome sound design/engine/mastering as the constant chatter is almost always very good understandable and doesn't fade into background noise I tend to ignore in most games or being so badly hearable that I would need to activate subtitles.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Game is good I'm just excited to see a complete single-player story with some engaging gameplay and a good story. Yes it is linear but it shakes up the formula enough and the choices you make feel impactful.

If you don't like the voice acting and the dynamic of the team (I love it) then it's not going to be fun for you. All of the interactions, the ability to choose to defuse a situation or make it much much worse, and then the super heartfelt moments all landed for me and made it super fun.

The fights may start to feel a bit samey once you get used to all the other team abilities but then you huddle up and a banger starts playing and you can spam explosives and Drax and Gamora are demolishing poo poo and you feel like superheroes while a kickass song is playing. also the first time I've ever been rickrolled by a video game

The gameplay is relatively simple but fun and kinetic enough that I didn't mind. It definitely gets more engaging as you unlock some more abilities especially Quill's and his upgrades. There were also a lot of creative approaches to fights where you could win without "winning" in creative storytelling ways.

Overall I've loved the game. You kind of have to love this take on the characters, though, since it's the backbone of the game, and I'm just so hyped there are no season passes or loot boxes.

Also it's pretty baller that they give full credit to people like the color artists for the comics that inspire the costume pick ups you can get.

All the voice actors are amazing but I think Drax gets a particular shout out for his range. He goes from full on destroyer "MY STRENGTH IS UNDERUTILIZED" to the most heartfelt poo poo I've seen in a video game in a long time. The dude playing Rocket basically sounds exactly like movie Rocket.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 2, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

I like the linearity, too many games have you backtracking and shuffling back and forth around a map that's too spread out. I just played Far Cry 6 and this was a satisfying contrast to that. It really is one of the better written games I've played. The dialogue and voice acting are really funny quite consistently and the Drax part is really effective too.

Yeah after how bad open world games have been lately, I have been super starved for linear straightforward games. I appreciate Guardians of the Galaxy a lot and what it is trying to do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I'm extremely happy at this not being open-world. This is basically my ideal form of single-player game (except for the combat, which is just "OK").

I enjoy this game. They did a particularly good job with the dialogue; somehow it manages to feel really organic as you choose dialogue responses without weird pauses. Like how, for example, you'll sort of interject yourself into a conversation, or characters will react to you delaying your response. I also like how characters will comment on you doing weird gamer stuff, like exploring random pathways while accompanied by someone.

IMO it's also much funnier than the movies. I like this take on the characters much more (mainly Quill and Gamora, though I also like Drax a bit more; Rocket/Groot seem more or less the same). The dialogue also lacks something I dislike about the Marvel dialogue. Hard to put my finger on it, but there's this weird aspect of the dialogue in the Marvel movies where you're constantly aware that they're trying to create "memeable moments" and appeal to the audience (or at least I am; it's transparent enough that I can't ignore it).

This is also the first game I've played in 120fps on my TV that is 120hz (actual native 120hz). Have to limit resolution to 1080P for that, but the trade-off is worth it; I keep moving around the camera just because it's so smooth, and colorful games like this are also much prettier.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

One of the elements that lands super well is the dialogue being shouted across areas. Like you'll be in the cockpit talking to Groot and then Gamora will yell something sarcastic from the other room and Peter will turn his head to look back there. The same thing happens in more open "exploration" (really it's just a few side paths here or there) where you get a sense of the space you're in. When Rocket climbs through a vent he gets all muffled, it really speaks to how good the voice acting and directing and integration with the gameplay is where the voice actors know when they're saying a line they have to yell across a ship vs. one where they're up close to the player. So well executed.

In that respect it's very much not like a movie where the camera is following whoever is speaking. Chacters will go to their rooms or you'll hear them talking to each other as they head down to the cargo bay. You'll sit in the captain's chair and characters will walk past you into your frame of vision and they react to where Peter is and Peter reacts to who is talking.

It's breaks a little bit during combat and sometimes during exploration where you'll give a command to Drax and he'll just appear out of nowhere to do it but that's forgivable to me.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Started the game yesterday and got a couple hours in, I think I actually like these versions of the characters better than the movies.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Wait how do you delay a response? I feel like I’ve constantly been erring between committing the choice I want or not because I want to hear the conversation play out but also do want to say a thing.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

You gotta get it in before the timer if it has a timer on the Peter quill portrait in the center

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

thebardyspoon posted:

Wait how do you delay a response? I feel like I’ve constantly been erring between committing the choice I want or not because I want to hear the conversation play out but also do want to say a thing.

Consider not saying anything to be a third dialogue choice which is just the others talking.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Currently 20% off at GMG, at least in the US. That plus the generally favorable impressions were enough for me to purchase it just now. Friend compared it to a pulp sci fi Uncharted, and I'm good with that

Also, I dig stuff like this:

Tom Tucker posted:

One of the elements that lands super well is the dialogue being shouted across areas. Like you'll be in the cockpit talking to Groot and then Gamora will yell something sarcastic from the other room and Peter will turn his head to look back there. The same thing happens in more open "exploration" (really it's just a few side paths here or there) where you get a sense of the space you're in. When Rocket climbs through a vent he gets all muffled, it really speaks to how good the voice acting and directing and integration with the gameplay is where the voice actors know when they're saying a line they have to yell across a ship vs. one where they're up close to the player. So well executed.

It's a fine but critical detail that's frequently missed, like where the VAs in Ubisoft games aren't given enough time/direction/coordination/etc. to sound like they're conversing

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Consider not saying anything to be a third dialogue choice which is just the others talking.

Oh, yeah, I mean I know to do that. I thought people meant there was a way to like, queue up your response, let the current conversation play out and then say whichever option you had selected. Cause yeah sometimes it feels like the timer is super short and there's potentially more there.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
So I'm a few hours in and definitely enjoying it! I love how Quill gets roasted non-stop, but it doesn't get into petty mean bullshit; it's genuinely clever and he walks into stuff all the time. After I learned the lead writer is the wonderful Mary DeMarle (Deus Ex: Human Revolution), it's no surprise I'm enjoying the dialogue and narrative so much. Jensen and Pritchard as the Cyberpunk Odd Couple is one of my favorite parts of DX:HR.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite Quill Roasting is when the other guardians realise that he may be Nikki's father and thoroughly roast him for the rest of the Hala's Hope investigation. (mid-game spoiler)

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

SirSamVimes posted:

My favourite Quill Roasting is when the other guardians realise that he may be Nikki's father and thoroughly roast him for the rest of the Hala's Hope investigation. (mid-game spoiler)

Chapter 7/8 spoiler: Ha! Congratulations, Peter Quill, you will make a terrible father! and if you let the dialogue play I reacted the same way when I learned of Hovath's insemination.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
e: doublepost

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

In that respect it's very much not like a movie where the camera is following whoever is speaking. Chacters will go to their rooms or you'll hear them talking to each other as they head down to the cargo bay. You'll sit in the captain's chair and characters will walk past you into your frame of vision and they react to where Peter is and Peter reacts to who is talking.

It's breaks a little bit during combat and sometimes during exploration where you'll give a command to Drax and he'll just appear out of nowhere to do it but that's forgivable to me.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing what they manage to do with the dialogue. There's some jank where characters will get caught mid-sentence and start repeating themselves, but it usually manages to feel pretty "organic." There's been at least one situation where you benefit from delaying a response in a way that isn't immediately obvious (I'm sure there are many others, but I just clearly remember this one); two of the characters are arguing and you have two options to resolve the conflict, but if you wait they start resolving it on their own and are like "uh, okay" when Quill suddenly starts pointlessly trying to smooth things over. I also feel bad when something takes me a long time, because everyone starts complaining about it. It's realistic, but I want to figure out how the gently caress to get the materials that are underneat the platform when you first go to (chapter 6) the Hala in Chapter 6. There's also just a lot of dialogue; like the party will just keep talking far beyond what you'd expect if you just stand around.

I think the funniest part so far is (I think mid-game spoilers, like chapter 6 or so) when Peter and Rocket start barking at each other in the mind-prison.

Also, to add to the characters I prefer in this game to the movies, game-Mantis is much better.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

drat, I love any game with [Fake a heart attack] as a dialogue option.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

There's an option for this in the menu! You can turn down or even off frequency of hints!

I turned it off and they are still giving me hints via dialogue. I wonder if it's just because I'm still in the first chapter or "hints" refers to something else.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
ARGH! Hit my first gamebreaking bug. I mean it's not at all, but for a costume whore like me it is. Has anyone encountered this and figured out a fix?

In Chapter 10 after a fight with a couple big bruisers, you get to send Rocket into a tiny hole to blow up a wall which takes Peter to a secret area filled with poison gas, a big jump, and then a groot platform to get to a higher spot. After grabbing some loot, there's a ledge you shimmy across for some more loot and a loving costume box only, as soon as I exit the ledge, no matter what direction I press, no matter if I stand still after exit or keep moving, Peter immediately turns around and goes back across the ledge!

There's a very brief window of control between getting stuck on the ledge and I've used it to rocket boot towards the costume, but the camera is locked into position so I can't actually look down to grab the box!

edit: i found a google that worked

quote:

If you are hit by it, the trick is to push the thumbstick toward a northwest position as you reach the end, or hit W and A if you are playing on a keyboard. You should also spam the jump button, and this should resolve the problem according to Youtuber Fenrir Mike. That should do the trick and will get you to where you need to be in order to get your hands on that new Rocket outfit.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 4, 2021

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I really appreciate how many expansive unique environments and locations there are in the game. and you'd think they'd be temped to pad it out and reuse them with repetitive rooms of enemies to fight but so far they have not

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Soonmot posted:

ARGH! Hit my first gamebreaking bug. I mean it's not at all, but for a costume whore like me it is. Has anyone encountered this and figured out a fix?

In Chapter 10 after a fight with a couple big bruisers, you get to send Rocket into a tiny hole to blow up a wall which takes Peter to a secret area filled with poison gas, a big jump, and then a groot platform to get to a higher spot. After grabbing some loot, there's a ledge you shimmy across for some more loot and a loving costume box only, as soon as I exit the ledge, no matter what direction I press, no matter if I stand still after exit or keep moving, Peter immediately turns around and goes back across the ledge!

There's a very brief window of control between getting stuck on the ledge and I've used it to rocket boot towards the costume, but the camera is locked into position so I can't actually look down to grab the box!

edit: i found a google that worked

I had that bug too. Just jump-dashed across, totally doable.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
Finished it a couple of days ago. I enjoy the combat, but the story and writing in this game - both *really* excellent!

By the way once I realized Star-Lord's VO sounded like the wrestler Chris Jericho, I couldn't unhear it. It's uncanny.

Cellophane S fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 4, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
This game is even better in the jean jacket/mullet outfit

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Finally beat the game, got 100% cheevos. I'll admit I loved how the final QTE (mostly) used the buttons corresponding to the different Guardians' special moves. It was a cute touch. All in all, a pleasant surprise after Avengers.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

Finally beat the game, got 100% cheevos. I'll admit I loved how the final QTE (mostly) used the buttons corresponding to the different Guardians' special moves. It was a cute touch. All in all, a pleasant surprise after Avengers.

Did you follow a collectible guide for the lore and outfit cheevos or do a second run to mop those up?

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Soonmot posted:

This game is even better in the jean jacket/mullet outfit

Finished the game and immediately started NG+ as Hesher Quill and not changing it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Honestly I really like the newly designed outfits I haven't wound up changing them.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Anti-Hero posted:

Did you follow a collectible guide for the lore and outfit cheevos or do a second run to mop those up?

The former. Had to pop up NG+ because some extra costumes unlock, which are counted for THAT cheevo.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

The former. Had to pop up NG+ because some extra costumes unlock, which are counted for THAT cheevo.

Gotcha.

I told myself I wouldn't use a guide on my first run (and I had Guardian collectibles bug out in Chapter 3 and not get added to the compendium) so I'll need to mop the 65% compendium AND outfits cheevo once I finish my first playthrough. I'm reading lots of teeth gnashing about whether you can mop up in NG+, or if you need to completely wipe your gamesaves and profiles and start from scratch if you got hit with the Guardian collectible bug.

I'll probably wait a week or so to do this and hope they drop a patch in the interim. It's a super fun game and I'm glad I picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
All I can hear when Peter talks is Dermott from Venture Bros.

“No Rocket I’m gonna beat up that monster with my sweet jet boots, duh! I bet you don’t even know what jet boots are. Hyah! Hyah!”