Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Near the end and I'm rocking mullet Peter, suit rocket, guardian outfit Groot, casual gamora, ace Cage fighter drax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does the game ever give details on its version of the history, or is this stuff people are expected to know from comic books? Specifically I'm wondering about the stuff about Drax killing Thanos.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Does the game ever give details on its version of the history, or is this stuff people are expected to know from comic books? Specifically I'm wondering about the stuff about Drax killing Thanos.

That's his comic book thing but I guess it's kind of irrelevant for this game right? It's just his backstory , I assume at least, I've not finished the game yet. I assume they're setting up Thanos for a sequel potentially.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah they dig into a lot of the history during character moments. You have to get the collectibles and talk to your teammates on the ship but also a lot comes up in flashbacks, visions, and other elements. I feel I know the backstory of the universe pretty well. They also do some good show not tell like with Xandar

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is basically like Arkham where the comic origin is accurate unless it isn't

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

There's a super-nice touch to this game I've only found in the later chapters (I thought I was closer to the end than I was) where (minor spoiler) the team starts to take the initiative and clear obstacles themselves. Groot lays down bridges, Drax pounds a bulkhead in, and Gamora slices through cables, all without being told. It totally sells the whole "team coming together" vibe so effectively. You play the leader of this team and you've told them how to solve these puzzles now they're doing it on their own. It feels like your leadership has helped them grow. Such a small touch but, like tons of others in this game, it carries so far.

And yes, Gamora, that was very "metal"

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
This all sounds rad, and yea, I'd totally ignored it as another lovely licensed game after Avengers. Gunna check it out for sure

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SweetBro posted:

IDK. I would say calling it barely a game feels a bit harsh, but the gameplay department seems. Pretty eh. I think the issue is just that the combat is like half the game and 3rd person shooting with autolock is the most boring poo poo in existence. Game would have probably been funner if you could play as anyone but Star-Lord in the combat segments.

i think the biggest gameplay is it only starts taking of about 1/3 through it. it only gets fun around chapter 4 or 5. the combat isnt bad, but it takes a while to hit its groove.

ImpAtom posted:

It is basically like Arkham where the comic origin is accurate unless it isn't

yeah. most of the games origins are the non movie origins outside rocket and drax. in the comics, drax is basically a put together harry du bois who is driving with his wife and kid in the desert and then thanos blows them up because he doesnt want to be seen or some poo poo, then drax becomes drax because some cosmic being who is thanos's grandpa, makes him like captain planet but like obesssed with killing thanos, so the game went with the movie like version which i prefer.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

its not known. basicaly the background in the game is there was a giant war between the chituari (reptile/bug looking skrull like fuckers) and everyone else. thanos leads the chitauri or at least allies with him and apperently in universe, drax killed him, but the game(as far as i know) is super coy on if its true or not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Inferior posted:

drat, I love any game with [Fake a heart attack] as a dialogue option.

https://youtu.be/3WhaWAWR9gA?t=94

i just thought of this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Regarding Drax and Thanos and other story spoilers: There's a conversation you have with him where he straight up admits he didn't kill Thanos and it was propaganda. This is part of why he's taken with The Promise. He feels he let his family down and that since he did that and they died pointless deaths, they're not in his version of heaven and he will never see them again. That's why he falls for The Promise and why it takes so much to set him free from it.

The game has really, really good writing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Just beat it, good game. Gonna finish up my current mass effect run I was in the middle of before going back to New Game +

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
I, like many others apparently, overlooked this game even though I'm a GOTG fan since it seemed similar to Avengers. But since I learned it was single-player only with no grinding/looting, I took a chance.

Only up to chapter 6, but this game is great.

Things I like about it are:

1) Not open world ala Assassin Creed, Far Cry, RDR2, so many others. I hardly ever finish these games, even when they are almost masterpieces like RDR2. Just too much time running around. I have some personality disorder where I HAVE TO DO ALL THE QUESTS or I feel I'm not getting the full experience. Eventually it gets to the point where I don't feel like booting up the game since I don't want to run from one end of the earth to the other hunting rabbits or whatever. The only open-world game I finished was Spider-Man, which was very reasonable on the side-missions and the achievements.

2) You can have all your group members all the time. I hated in games like Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect that you had to choose who was in your party. I paid for the game, I want to hear what they all say, but I dont want to keep switching between them.

3) No grinding/loot.

4) Really nice visuals and unique environments

5) Good writing and voice acting. I had a few genuine chuckles so far and I hardly ever laugh out loud playing video games.

I hope they make a sequel, but judging from the lack of sales, that may be a long shot. Maybe when the Marvel Nova movie comes out, they'll do another one with Nova and the GOTG in the Annihilation War. Hell yeah.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Noonsa posted:

I, like many others apparently, overlooked this game even though I'm a GOTG fan since it seemed similar to Avengers. But since I learned it was single-player only with no grinding/looting, I took a chance.

Only up to chapter 6, but this game is great.

Things I like about it are:

1) Not open world ala Assassin Creed, Far Cry, RDR2, so many others. I hardly ever finish these games, even when they are almost masterpieces like RDR2. Just too much time running around. I have some personality disorder where I HAVE TO DO ALL THE QUESTS or I feel I'm not getting the full experience. Eventually it gets to the point where I don't feel like booting up the game since I don't want to run from one end of the earth to the other hunting rabbits or whatever. The only open-world game I finished was Spider-Man, which was very reasonable on the side-missions and the achievements.

2) You can have all your group members all the time. I hated in games like Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect that you had to choose who was in your party. I paid for the game, I want to hear what they all say, but I dont want to keep switching between them.

3) No grinding/loot.

4) Really nice visuals and unique environments

5) Good writing and voice acting. I had a few genuine chuckles so far and I hardly ever laugh out loud playing video games.

I hope they make a sequel, but judging from the lack of sales, that may be a long shot. Maybe when the Marvel Nova movie comes out, they'll do another one with Nova and the GOTG in the Annihilation War. Hell yeah.

same. the way it ends, i feel like it could have a sequel someday but if it doesn't thats fine too. its overall a really good game though it feels a little to long at times.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

How's the aiming in this? My dad loves the Guardian movies but isn't very good at modern shooters like Doom and Halo.

It looked like you can snap target on people like destroy all humans from some of the gameplay I've seen

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003

Azubah posted:

How's the aiming in this? My dad loves the Guardian movies but isn't very good at modern shooters like Doom and Halo.

It looked like you can snap target on people like destroy all humans from some of the gameplay I've seen

You can right-click to lock on targets.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How far does the 'Mass Effect 2' comparison go? There are like six Guardians right, does it have two playthroughs-worth of different dialogue/conversations/small plot branches from small choices, or is this a one-and-done experience?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One and done experience, unless you want to see all the optional dialogue. Also there's one stage that goes completely differently based on a choice you make earlier, but the game has a chapter select.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I played a fair bit of the game now. I guess there are just a few hours left.
I like it a lot, but it already feels like it will end to soon.

But it's super incredibly pretty. And playing around with the screenshot mode is a lot of fun!

Seeing that stuff in motion is really something else. Probably the prettiest game I played all year.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah good call. There are tons of super atmospheric locations and they vary it between exploring them, drinking in the scenery, fighting in them, or fleeing through them for your lives. It’s worth pausing to see just how varied each chapter is

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

My only issue with the game right now is that the one-on-one convos while on the ship are very awkward. Just two characters looking at each other for 5 minutes. Even Mass Effect solved this by using recycled animations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Azubah posted:

I despise console shooting and have been fine with it. Punching is actually surprisingly viable against enemies (I recommend doing a lot of punching/dodging against humanoids).

cant cook creole bream posted:

Seeing that stuff in motion is really something else. Probably the prettiest game I played all year.

This is the first game I've played in 120fps on my 120hz TV. I have to make it 1080p to run it at 120fps, but everything is just so smooth. It's kind of mesmerizing; I'll just keep rotating the camera to see stuff gliding across the screen. For some reason stuff doesn't feel that smooth on my PC monitor at the same FPS. Maybe something to do with the size of the screen or the TV having a much nicer screen with HDR and stuff.

Noonsa posted:

Same. I have this mix of "inability to ignore marks on the map" and "but not a hardcore gamer who is actually willing to do everything or gives a poo poo about achievements," so I'll usually get like 2/3 through an open-world game while cleansing the map of markings before just suddenly losing interest when I haven't yet finished the main plot.

Similar to you, Spider-man was a rare exception. Also Ghost of Tsushima, so you might want to try that if you haven't.

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Same. I have this mix of "inability to ignore marks on the map" and "but not a hardcore gamer who is actually willing to do everything or gives a poo poo about achievements," so I'll usually get like 2/3 through an open-world game while cleansing the map of markings before just suddenly losing interest when I haven't yet finished the main plot.

Similar to you, Spider-man was a rare exception. Also Ghost of Tsushima, so you might want to try that if you haven't.

Good to know. I was really interested in that one, but didn't get it since I didn't want to get bogged down in a side quest fest again. Looks like there's a PC port coming, I'll probably grab it then.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Okay, I am nearly done with the game now and I absolutely love it. Besides providing me a bunch of great screenshots (one of which is my background image now) it's genuinely really heartfelt. Also I love the fact that they made up a whole band for this. Zero to Hero is actually one of the best songs in the whole game, even though it's filled with my favorite songs.

Also I love that Gamora is a fan of Warrior!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

This is the first game I've played in 120fps on my 120hz TV. I have to make it 1080p to run it at 120fps, but everything is just so smooth. It's kind of mesmerizing; I'll just keep rotating the camera to see stuff gliding across the screen. For some reason stuff doesn't feel that smooth on my PC monitor at the same FPS. Maybe something to do with the size of the screen or the TV having a much nicer screen with HDR and stuff.

If you don't have freesync/gsync enabled, then it could be a frame pacing issue, which can happen even at 120fps if you, for instance, have a 144hz monitor instead of 120. Changing your monitor's refresh rate to 120Hz or enabling VRR should fix this. But having a huge screen in front of you could be helping make it feel a lot more immersive and impressive.

Welcome to the world of 120fps supremacy, where even 60fps feels like it's for babies. :cool:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Okay, I am nearly done with the game now and I absolutely love it. Besides providing me a bunch of great screenshots (one of which is my background image now) it's genuinely really heartfelt. Also I love the fact that they made up a whole band for this. Zero to Hero is actually one of the best songs in the whole game, even though it's filled with my favorite songs.

Also I love that Gamora is a fan of Warrior!

One thing I really appreciate about GotG is that it genuinely makes Gamora feel like a character who would enjoy spending time around the insane cast instead of just kind of being there by default.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Spoilers for final chapters:

Did I just...literally rickroll the final but not really boss? Does that happen to everyone or was it just the best coincidence ever when I activated my huddle during that battle?
And the use of The Final Countdown at the end was pretty good as well.

post credits: and now I got rickrolled!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Pennfalath posted:

Spoilers for final chapters:

Did I just...literally rickroll the final but not really boss? Does that happen to everyone or was it just the best coincidence ever when I activated my huddle during that battle?
And the use of The Final Countdown at the end was pretty good as well.

The music that plays when you use the huddle mechanic is randomized. I got Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I finished this over the weekend and got 100% of the cheevos. I know they said there won't be any DLC, but I'm kind of bummed the game is over and would like some more. :(

But, there is always NG+!

I really enjoyed this game, but as others have said you need to be all in on the characters and the narrative as the combat is definitely the weakest part of the experience. Hope we get a sequel.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Having a few arena style challenges a la the Arkham series would be fun. Running up a high score against more and more complicated fights or seeing how long you can last against an endless wave.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
halfway through chapter 3 and getting really tired of drax’s poo poo

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I have good news for you about character growth

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Drax rules. Make sure you don't miss out on the conversation with him on Knowhere.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I just finished the game at 25 hours. This was awesome. The only part I didn't quite like that much was the combat. The exploration was a tad too linear for me, but that was made up with people dunking on Quill, whenever he ran into corners.
This game did a really good job getting you on board with the mood of the team. Adam Warlock is such a pompous rear end in a top hat and everyone is absolutely aware of that. Talking like that comes natural to him, but he still has a choice about it!
But I really liked everyone of the main cast. way better characterization than the movies and also better than the comics I've read. Especially Gamora.
Making her grow up with a really corny sense of humor as a coping mechanism fits well and explains why she would enjoy hanging out with those dorks. In the movies she was all business and mostly just stuck around because the plot demanded it.

So, about the story. Quite big spoiler: Did anyone actually buy that Nikki might be Piotrs daughter? Yes the timing fits, but I found that assassin ring and Gamora pretty explicitly said that Kor-El was supposed to kill the Quitary infant queen and chose not too. So I never really bought into the idea that it might be possible, since that's clearly her. The fact that Kor-El was avoiding that DNA-purity test fits too. I was sorta surprised that this part wasn't revealed in the end. Anyway, Nikki rules. I don't often like child characters, but she's cool.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I totally bought it and honestly it kinda hit hard at the end as I had made character dialogue choices that leaned into it slightly. The team came around it and then at the end it was a hit but it somehow made that climax even more poignant.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
This game's surprisingly good. It's really refreshing to just play a linear game that tells a good story that isn't super heavy. I actually chuckled at some of the attempts at comedy and there's nothing in it that makes me cringe (except how utterly generic the character design for Quill is). It's a real bummer that this dev team couldn't release this game a year ago to huge success and then have Avengers given to them as a license. Instead we got that steaming pile of a game which probably scared a lot of people away from this title.

Is the character progression going to get grindy if I want to unlock all the skills for each Guardian? I hope not. Currently skills are unlocking pretty slow and I'm wishing my supporting heroes' skills were opening up twice as fast. For context, I've just unlocked the 2nd of Peters' elemental abilities. Not sure how far along the game I am, though.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 10, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I finished unlocking all my character skills long before the end of the game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Peter's guns unlock as the story progresses. You get more than enough skill points early to unlock the Guardians skills, and their last ones are also tied to story points so you don't need skill points for them.

Honestly, I think the first skills you get for them are the best until their last one unlocks. I really didn't vary usage of them too much.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I finished unlocking all my character skills long before the end of the game.

If you do even casual exploring the same is also true of the equipment upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah the unlocks seem highly tuned to "didn't explore and can't fight" for upgrades / exp which is fine I still went out of my way to explore areas because it was fun hearing Quill constantly being like "I'm trying to.. get a vantage point... I'm scouting ahead..."