Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MH Knights posted:

If you do even casual exploring the same is also true of the equipment upgrades.

Yeah, I was kinda diligent with exploring and by the end I had a buffer of about 3000 of those materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Anyone else get an email from Squeenix with a code for a free month of Disney+? I am already subbed to D+ so I was wondering if I could give the code away.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

MH Knights posted:

Anyone else get an email from Squeenix with a code for a free month of Disney+?

mhm

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah this game is super good. The combat is the weakest part, and the game I think needs to make it clearer that your basic attacks pretty much do nothing and you need to be constantly issuing commands to your teammates and using their abilities.

It's also a little buggy, and I've had to restart a couple times because of weird issues. Like character models not changing so everyone is walking around the ship with their weapons out, which lead to a scene of talking to Drax while he's stabbing his knives through his body.

I think Star-Lord's VA is actually pretty good too. When the time comes for him to have to go through the emotional scenes, I think he pretty much nails it.

The real climax of the game wouldn't work if both Star-Lord and Nikki's VAs didn't loving nail their parts. Ch14-15That whole scene where Peter's trying to help a tween girl deal with her mother dying to protect her... and Nikki's crying that she just needs to see her mom again.... gently caress man... :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The game has already been discounted down to $30 on consoles, looks like: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy-playstation-5/6468675.p?skuId=6468675

I'll buy it if it's that cheap during steam's black friday sale.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The game has already been discounted down to $30 on consoles, looks like: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy-playstation-5/6468675.p?skuId=6468675

I'll buy it if it's that cheap during steam's black friday sale.

Man, that's a bummer it's discounted not even a month after launch.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It’s a massive crime this game has to be pay the price for Avengers being such a piece of poo poo, I bought it thanks to this thread and adore it

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah this game deserves a -10% holiday and -30-50% summer sale. Just a solid stand alone experience. I paid full price and feel I got my money’s worth I may wind up re playing it in a few years. Sounds like it didn’t do great which I hope won’t mean we get fewer proper stand alone games

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I mean to be fair, every time they have shown the combat it seems dull as dishwater, so that probably hasn't helped either. That's the main reason why I decided to wait for a sale.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
For such a big budget game all the media for it really came and went. Like, in the space of a day or two.

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
They got it backwards, Avengers should have been more single-player focused and GOTG could have been open world.

I think it would have been cool flying between Earth, Xandar, Hellbender's planet, Knowhere, random cosmic locations doing sidequests rather than lame rear end upstate New York or Arizona or wherever.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This has been one of my favourite games of the year and I wish it got more success.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I mean to be fair, every time they have shown the combat it seems dull as dishwater, so that probably hasn't helped either. That's the main reason why I decided to wait for a sale.

Combat is fine, you only control yourself but there's lots of team mate stuff to juggle and you can tweak the numbers in settings if you don't like the pacing.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

This game had great writing and setpieces/environments but it was pretty buggy, the combat is middling at best(and there is a lot of it) and it's exclusively singleplayer without a ton of replayability. The bad marketing/Avengers confusion didn't help but it was always going to be cheap after a month or two.

Edit: These kinds of mid-low budget games are always racing the used market and I wouldn't be shocked if it gets a second bite at the apple during holiday roundups as a sleeper hit like Control but it might be a harder sell for sequels because it was almost certainly made on a somewhat bigger budget.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 20, 2021

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I took the opportunity to pick this up on sale as a speculative purchase. Really glad I did because *drat* this game has made a strong first impression. Everything about the presentation is just eye-poppingly (and ear-poppingly) gorgeous; really glad I'm getting to play this on Series X.

To be sure, I've only played up to Chapter 3, but I'm pretty much super-enamoured with everything thus far. Really liking the banter, and early character beats. Just night and day compared to how immediately I bounced of that Avengers game when I tried it on gamepass.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

It’s a massive crime this game has to be pay the price for Avengers being such a piece of poo poo, I bought it thanks to this thread and adore it

I have actually seen people write this game off because they thought it was a DLC for Avengers.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

That’s an oof. It stands up so well as a solid single player campaign. I haven’t played many of those lately but I think it beats Jedi Fallen Order by a mile in terms of fun

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

That’s an oof. It stands up so well as a solid single player campaign. I haven’t played many of those lately but I think it beats Jedi Fallen Order by a mile in terms of fun

I agree with this. It’s a better Star Wars game then…recent Star Wars games. If that makes any sense.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If anyone wants to check out a good LP to see what this game is about, or to see it from someone else's view I can suggest this channel here. She's doing a real good job with the lore and gets super invested in the characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwEzPpOSNrs

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I beat this the other day and holy gently caress it’s the new Alpha Protocol.

Probably not as reactive but it feels like it is. The writing is loving fantastic tho

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like it but I just wish it wasn't so buggy. Like my most recent one was how when I try to read a log the info panel about the Rift in Knowhere pops up over it. I've also run into the huddle where everyone just stares at you and doesn't say anything, which means it never advances to the choice. As well as just a bunch of little stuff like subtitles not displaying correctly.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I beat this the other day and holy gently caress it’s the new Alpha Protocol.

Probably not as reactive but it feels like it is. The writing is loving fantastic tho

There are like, two choices that change anything, and the changes are very minor. The writing is fantastic, but a replay hinges on loving going through the exact story again, not on finding the 500 different ways the plot can unfold.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Just got to Chapter 8 and I'm really enjoying the game so far. A little frustrated though because I just spent so much time in the Inquisitor fight trying to get the Drax Call to Action trophy to pop and he just would not do it. I repeated the battle tons of times and triggered a bunch of CtAs, but it was always Gamora or Groot. Even when I did the trick where I let everyone besides me and Drax go down, all it meant was that I never got the trigger at all. Very annoying, since it's the first trophy I've missed along the way.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Picked this up during the psn sale and completed it in 3 nights, wasn't expecting much but it's great. I would love a sequel.

Hylianbunny
Dec 31, 2007

TG: oh ok time travels involved
TG: thats all you needed to say everythings cool and under control then

ShakeZula posted:

Just got to Chapter 8 and I'm really enjoying the game so far. A little frustrated though because I just spent so much time in the Inquisitor fight trying to get the Drax Call to Action trophy to pop and he just would not do it. I repeated the battle tons of times and triggered a bunch of CtAs, but it was always Gamora or Groot. Even when I did the trick where I let everyone besides me and Drax go down, all it meant was that I never got the trigger at all. Very annoying, since it's the first trophy I've missed along the way.

It took me ages to get him to do it as well, but eventually I could get it to trigger consistently. If you fill up the stagger gauge, it seems like it will always be one of Gamora or Groot, but if you get it low enough on health without staggering it should be Drax that answers the call.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Hylianbunny posted:

It took me ages to get him to do it as well, but eventually I could get it to trigger consistently. If you fill up the stagger gauge, it seems like it will always be one of Gamora or Groot, but if you get it low enough on health without staggering it should be Drax that answers the call.

On my PC playthrough I actually got that one naturally, but had to farm Groot's Call to Action. It seems like it's pretty random how they trigger.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Riven posted:

There are like, two choices that change anything, and the changes are very minor. The writing is fantastic, but a replay hinges on loving going through the exact story again, not on finding the 500 different ways the plot can unfold.

Oh for sure, I’m not planning on replaying it but I was impressed by how it manages to at least feel reactive even if it isn’t. Honestly giving you less choices probably helps with that because you don’t have that Telltale games “save a character only to have them immediately die so we don’t have to write around it” thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GotG doesn't really let you pick the plot but it does let you pick the tone and in the long run I think that actually helps more. Giving Peter the room to be smarter/dumber helps a lot with making the character more likable, as does being able to get some say in when jokes are made or the tone they are made in because it helps prevent the character from feeling too much of an rear end in a top hat without your input.

Like he's still a dumb rear end in a top hat who makes a lot of bad decisions but you can give him moments of empathy or caring that go a long long way towards making him easier to like than Pratt Lord.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think you’re right and tone goes such a long way. The talk with Drax on Knowhere made me mist up and the sense of loss in the whole game makes the choices where you have to choose what team member to support difficult.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The scene with Drax on Knowhere is so good. I wasn't expecting such a poignant conversation while looking out to the edge of the universe but it totally makes sense. I really liked how those two bonded the most throughout the game.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Hylianbunny posted:

Thankfully complaining on the internet did the trick, and I got it first try on the next encounter with that type of enemy.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I was enjoying this game but the voice acting just let grating on me more and more until I stopped. Quill and Rocket’s conflict just went on and on and was so repitive, and Peters voice actor delivers every line in the same annoying cadence. I had to stop playing

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

The scene with Drax on Knowhere is so good. I wasn't expecting such a poignant conversation while looking out to the edge of the universe but it totally makes sense. I really liked how those two bonded the most throughout the game.

It also makes Peter being the one to talk him out of the Promise make 100% sense. Drax understands what rejecting it cost Peter, and that if he did that, then it must be really terrible.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
My favorite part is when you fail the huddle up thing and the rest of the guardians are like "why did you waste our time with this bullshit?"

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

https://twitter.com/GOTGTheGame/status/1469131864573100032

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I don't disagree

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the

Was this scene in the game? Or they made it just in case they won an award?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noonsa posted:

Was this scene in the game? Or they made it just in case they won an award?

i'm guessing the latter

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This is a fairly earned reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I didn´t really expect the Xandar Empire to basically be fullblown Nazi/Purity freaks but when Kor'Ell informs you about how she rescued Nikki from a transport with war orphans that didn´t fill the racial purity standard it got a :stare: from me..