Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
When Sotomayor kicks it during Trump 2 they will replace her with a bowtie wearing college Republican law student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

The news media is overcompensating for their role in the matter of RBG.

Sotomayor is a better justice than Ginsburg ever was, she’s less cancer‐ridden, and her untimely demise would have less consequence because so long as Democrats refuse to pack it, the court will have conservative majority into the twenty forties with or without her seat flipping.

it will have a conservative majority forever because the conservative justices don't get all pissy about strategically retiring

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

More importantly, we should be bemoaning the blatant partisanship and dastardly scheming of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. If she hadn't selfishly retired in 2006 and instead clung to her seat on the bench until death finally took her like the noble and selfless RBG, Biden would have got to nominate her replacement.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it will have a conservative majority forever because the conservative justices don't get all pissy about strategically retiring

It’s not helping, but it’s far from the root cause. Slate may as well report on how the Washington Generals aren’t benching/subbing players optimally in their games against the Harlem Globetrotters.

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

page 500 ftw

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
one bad dog for each page

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

It’s not helping, but it’s far from the root cause. Slate may as well report on how the Washington Generals aren’t benching/subbing players optimally in their games against the Harlem Globetrotters.

idk why do you think that there's never ever been anything other than a conservative chief justice, for example

i mean i guess what i'm trying to say is that the conservative movement seems to actually have long-term goals and beliefs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s a great example.

It doesn’t matter how many liberal justices retire early if none of them hold the position of chief justice. No quantity of associate justice vacancies can be transmuted into a chief justice. The only way to snag that is to have the power to appoint a replacement at the time that the current chief justice dies, retires, or is removed from office via impeachment.

Harry Truman was the last Democrat to preside during a vacancy in the position of chief justice.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Platystemon posted:

That’s a great example.

It doesn’t matter how many liberal justices retire early if none of them hold the position of chief justice. No quantity of associate justice vacancies can be transmuted into a chief justice. The only way to snag that is to have the power to appoint a replacement at the time that the current chief justice dies, retires, or is removed from office via impeachment.

Harry Truman was the last Democrat to preside during a vacancy in the position of chief justice.

This really is an absurdly stupid system.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The one thing liberals truly believe in is the cult of careerism, they worship the titles and trappings of office. Hence why they have an outright crisis of faith over the Court, because they can't imagine anything other than sitting in the big chair until you die. Nothing is more important than your career and your titles.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Nichael posted:

This really is an absurdly stupid system.

America? Every last inch of it? Yes, it is absurdly stupid.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The one thing liberals truly believe in is the cult of careerism, they worship the titles and trappings of office. Hence why they have an outright crisis of faith over the Court, because they can't imagine anything other than sitting in the big chair until you die. Nothing is more important than your career and your titles.

this really is why trump should just appoint a random chud high schooler or middle schooler. there are literally no constitutional requirements to be a justice so let's just run this poo poo into the ground.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why doesn’t Barron, the tallest justice, simply eat the other justices?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/MarkovMagnifico/status/1772406762332729604

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nichael posted:

this really is why trump should just appoint a random chud high schooler or middle schooler. there are literally no constitutional requirements to be a justice so let's just run this poo poo into the ground.
A horse.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
appoint me to the supreme court

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i have the following qualifications: i have never practiced law or even been inside a courtroom, but i would be perfectly happy to get some bribes.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lpzie posted:

Okay.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Appoint every man, woman, and child in America to the Supreme Court. Of course, I know this will never happen, because it'd mean that citizens would occasionally get to vote on something that matters.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/davidminpdx/status/1781701936389259436

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
A proper party would use selective enforcement like a bludgeon to get something like roe codified. Instead I guarantee it was something like those businesses didn't buy their glycol ether from the distributor owned by someone in the admin's brother-in-law

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

joe biden hates marijuana so much he'd rather not be president than allow dope smokers to roam the streets for a few more months before cracking down

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, unless the dope fiends have connections. then it is okay.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Lpzie posted:

you start on Monday. don’t be late.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Platystemon posted:

That’s a great example.

does it really matter who the chief justice is

if they were a democrat but there were 5 republicans it wouldnt matter

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

pencilhands posted:

nope, not one bit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You’d take five associates over three and the chief any day.

It’s nice to have, but it doesn’t change where the court breaks on big decisions.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

lmfao

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Dems are making this the least important election in our lifetime.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Democrats are saying that DJT is old and fat and on death’s door while Joey B. is robust and sprightly and will live a long time, so when you think about it, Donald Trump is the harm reduction candidate.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Border Patrol is loving with New Mexico. I wonder why

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pencilhands posted:

if they were a democrat but there were 5 republicans it wouldnt matter

Actually FISA justices are at the sole discretion of the Chief Justice which is not nothing, but it only matters if you have some kind of political project you're trying to accomplish so super important to the republicans and complete worthless for the democrats.

The democrats of course have never had control or influence over the FISA courts in any way since their creation.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i hate the loving democrats

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1782489572657492239

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

does not condemn hamas though :thunk:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Nichael posted:

does not condemn hamas though :thunk:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is BIDEN though. We haven't heard from Biden yet.

And for the last time, no - Biden and BIDEN are not necessarily the same person. They may technically share the same body, but this doesn't mean they're the same person/personality.

This is how they're going to fool us in the election, so I want to make sure people are paying attention. BIDEN may say that he's going to cut funding to Israel (and he may even say it in red text!), but then Biden will increase the funding.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At least one confused old person is going to write in Dark Brandon.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Ytlaya posted:

And for the last time, no - Biden and BIDEN are not necessarily the same person. They may technically share the same body, but this doesn't mean they're the same person/personality.

This is how they're going to fool us in the election, so I want to make sure people are paying attention. BIDEN may say that he's going to cut funding to Israel (and he may even say it in red text!), but then Biden will increase the funding.

i forget the rules, is the all-caps one the legal fiction or the sovereign citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Ytlaya posted:

when you think about it, American politics are kind of like Umineko no Naku Koro ni, in that I I had a very vague idea of what was going on 15 years ago when I watched the anime, never quite got it and only remember it looked bad because it was animated by studio Deen.